Profile for Mark Barton > Reviews

Content by Mark Barton

Mark Barton (Hove, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Outdoor All Weather Brown Rattan Drinks Cooler Ice Box
Outdoor All Weather Brown Rattan Drinks Cooler Ice Box
Offered by Garden Store Direct Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Cool Box, 18 Aug. 2014
Does exactly what it says on the box. It matched our other furniture perfectly - very pleased!

Dead Space 3 (Xbox 360)
Dead Space 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by APE-GAMES

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sequel, 3 July 2014
Brilliant sequel - Simple as that

Banquet 3 Burner Gas Barbecue with Side Burner
Banquet 3 Burner Gas Barbecue with Side Burner

3.0 out of 5 stars An entry level BBQ - Look elsewhere, 3 July 2014
It really is only just OK. It got very high ratings but I genuinely don't know why they must all have been 'Gas BBQ virgins'. One of the reasons I bought this one was that it was stated it would take lava rocks but it wasn't until I had pretty well finished building it that I realised the only way would be to lay the rock on the grills - so where would the food go? There is no gas regulator or hose supplied (luckily or maybe not, I already had one). The shelf underneath is flimsy and certainly not up to taking the weight of a gas cylinder for very long so I had to 'beef it up' with added screws. By the time I had done all this I had lost the will to send it back. However, if I had known any of the above I would not have bought it

VonHaus PREMIUM LCD, LED & Plasma Slim TV Wall Tilt Bracket Black Fits All Models - Samsung LG Sony Philips Toshiba - (23 - 37"), Super-Strength Load Capacity 75Kg, 15 Degree Up/Down Tilt Mechanism, Free Spirit Level
Offered by DOMU UK

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but..., 2 Jun. 2014
These are shown as originally costing over £100 but are now less the £15 and there's a reason for that.
Good points: It's very easy to fit particularly with the built in level (whilst you stand on a chair with the bracket in one hand and a drill in the other) simple to adjust and the TV lies fairly flat on the wall.
Bad points the extensive array of bolts doesn't fit the latest TVs. Luckily my TV came with the right ones but due to the shape of the bracket and back of the TV I had to pack it out with washers (not supplied) and I had to 'adapt' the holes so that everything lined up. So all in all really good value for money but just be aware that some additional work/materials may be needed

LG 32LN575V 32-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Smart LED TV with Built-In Wi-Fi/Freeview HD

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Value TV - But Could be Better, 2 Jun. 2014
You get what you pay for. We wanted this for a sun lounge - wall mounted and just using its own terrestrial digital Freeview tuner. The problems I mention would not be an issue if used with a separate receiver.
Good points: The picture is beautifully clear and the controls are easy to use.
Not so good - should have researched it more - The Smart TV is lacking ITV and 4oD and you can't appear to be able to down load them this means there's no 'catchup' facility. Also to record you need to purchase a memory card which is not made clear.
So satisfactory but not ideal. Should have paid a bit more and got the equivalent Panasonic!

Kindle Fire HD 7", HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 3rd)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fire away, 25 May 2014
I take my fire on holiday rather than my laptop + a kindle reader, saving weight and space. However as with all compromise devices it doesn't do any single functions as well as a dedicated one. The operating system is a bit 'clunky, and it can be time consuming to first find and then change settings. As a reader it is a case of either heaven or hell. In bright daylight it's just about impossible to see due to the shiny screen (I know this is a problem with most makes of touch screen) but at night (say in bed) it's easy and clear so you don't keep your partner awake. The battery life is just about OK but it does take quite a while to charge up.

The First Man in Rome (Masters of Rome)
The First Man in Rome (Masters of Rome)

4.0 out of 5 stars Thorn Birds it's Not, 16 Feb. 2014
I have never read anything by this author and it took me a little while to get used to her style. The story unfolds through the eyes of various characters, often each with a very different view of the same events. Sometimes this is in letter form from one to the other explaining this and that. She uses their full Roman names which gets a bit complicated and long winded but you get an very, very detailed impression of life, politics and religion of Rome at that time. I have read many books based in the Roman era by Scarrow and co and this is different enough to stand out from the crowd in that it’s not all death and gory glory. It is a very long book (1000 pages +) which I failed to notice when I bought it until I noticed my Kindle said I had 24 hrs of reading to go. Once I got into it I thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so that I am now about 8hrs into the next one – buy it!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice to play it, to play it nice, 4 Feb. 2014
Good family friendly game which we played after Xmas lunch. There were 7 adults and we all had a good time. The one thing I would say is you need some sort of simple rack to hold the cards as we ended up with them balanced in front of the TV etc, which with people slightly the worse for wear got a bit messy.

Lionheart (Making of England Book 4)
Lionheart (Making of England Book 4)

2.0 out of 5 stars Lionheart Lite, 15 Jan. 2014
I should have read the synopsis and not bothered - somewhere it says for adults `and teenagers' so I should have known it would be over glamorised and sanitised. I see that all the other reviews so far are 5* but I'm sorry this is Lionheart lite - every male character is a great fighter and chivalrous and every woman is attractive in some way and promiscuous. On that point The Lionheart beds just about every girl he meets (whereas historically he was well known as `a friend of Dorothy') All a bit too `Boys Own' (no pun intended). He uses some fable to link the, historically well researched, waypoints in Richards's life to link it all together and for me I was just glad to finish it - again sorry to you 5*ers!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2014 2:53 PM BST

Norseman Chief (The Norseman Chronicles Book 3)
Norseman Chief (The Norseman Chronicles Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars I’ve started so I’ll finish (3 of 3)., 7 Jan. 2014
There are three books in this ‘saga’ (The Norseman Chronicles) - The Norseman, Paths of the Norseman and Norseman Chief. They chart the life and loves of the hero - Halldorr who is nearly 100 when he writes his story (I hate it when authors do that). That said, they are well written and researched giving vivid detail of life in these times and locations (no detail so no spoiler) and the battles that are spread through the series. However there is just enough for 3 books, rather one really good one so I have done the same review for all. Unfortunately for me I'm a bit OCD about finishing books so I will get there, in the end.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7