Profile for D. J. Roberts > Reviews

Content by D. J. Roberts

D. J. Roberts (Hertfordshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Virgins And Philistines
Virgins And Philistines
Price: 9.95

1.0 out of 5 stars It's the sound, 26 Mar 2010
This review is from: Virgins And Philistines (Audio CD)
Sadly, not many people will be looking at this re-issue on spec without existing interest, but for those of us that love this fantastic album, just my view.

The music and performance is sublime, as we know.

And if you want to listen on MP3, pc, iPod or in the car it sounds great.

But if you want to listen through a decent cd player et al don't buy it. It's been mastered for radio/download/pc and, sad to say, it's horrible. I know this album note for note beacause I've been listening to it since it was released on the original vinyl. Which I will keep playing, as this is very poor on cd players.

As Neil Young says, "sound matters". And the sound on this is nowhere near what this treasure deserves on conventional cd players.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2010 1:15 PM BST

Only Fools and Horses - The Complete Series 1-7 [DVD] [1981]
Only Fools and Horses - The Complete Series 1-7 [DVD] [1981]
Dvd ~ David Jason
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.
Price: 48.99

5.0 out of 5 stars To cut or not to cut - does it matter?, 6 Jan 2010
I don't normally post reviews but there seems to be some confusion about this product so I hope the following helps.

Unless it is different from the one I have enjoyed for several years (and I am certain it isn't) this is not a newly produced boxset, rather series 1 to 7 as originally released on DVD collected together in one place (box), if you see the difference. You will notice for example that the discs look different - not all identical or "pretty" as they would be in a major overhaul of the product.

There have been cuts, and it says so on the bottom of the box, for contractual reasons to do with the music played as background during some scenes. However, I have all the scripts to the series and there isn't much missing at all (although the subsequent stand alone "Christmas Specials" have been knocked about to their detriment).

I have been really enjoying the set again over Christmas with my 10 year old son - the first time he has seen it - and he loves it, as does the rest of the family. In my view the question of edits is superfluous unless you are an absolute completist. Nothing wrong with that, but if you aren't you will not notice or miss anything of any consequence at all which might spoil your enjoyment and you can buy this collection of top notch comedy with absolute confidence.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4