Profile for Ms. Joanna L. Fairclough > Reviews

Content by Ms. Joanna L. ...

Ms. Joanna L. Fairclough

Dr. Martens Women's 10491202 New authentic wedge high leg boot Bark 5 UK
Dr. Martens Women's 10491202 New authentic wedge high leg boot Bark 5 UK
Offered by SOLETRADER
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy feet, 20 Dec. 2010
I love these boots so much I bought two pairs, I could live in these so I reasoned two pairs would last longer ;)
It's a classic, well-made boot and they manage to be both sensible and sexy.
I got black ones first, my usual size 5 felt too snug so I got them in a 6 and they are perfect. They hug my foot and ankle and my toes have plenty wriggle-room. Got them in green too today, this time size 5 fit me fine, apparently the coloured ones are made of a softer leather. The green ones do look a bit like wellies 'cause of the colour, but look good under jeans. Have yet to put them through the puddle test but my feet stay warm and dry in the snow and as they break in they mould to fit my feet - it's a beautiful feeling! Take good care of these boots, get some quality leather dressing from a tack shop, and they will last for years.

Essence of Ninjutsu: The Nine Traditions
Essence of Ninjutsu: The Nine Traditions
by Masaaki Hatsumi

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight to the heart, bypassing the mind, 13 April 2010
This is a special book indeed. If you're expecting to have the fundamentals of Ninjutsu handed to you on a plate, you will be baffled and disappointed. Hatsumi writes in metaphors and allegories designed to distill the essence of this noble art directly into your subconcious. You're not supposed to understand it all the first time round; the point is to read it, forget about it, then go back to it at a later date with fresh eyes and understanding. Ninjutsu is an art of the heart, so don't fret, for though this book may confuse your mind (and so it should), your heart will understand it.

Philips HR1363 Hand Blender with Beaker and Chopper Accessory
Philips HR1363 Hand Blender with Beaker and Chopper Accessory

3.0 out of 5 stars Power at your fingertips?, 13 April 2010
Very handy device; good quality, seems durable enough, and couldn't be easier to use. Haven't tried out the chopper accessory yet but I have a feeling that once I do I'll never manually chop an onion again. Beaker could be a bit bigger but its not really an issue as you can use the blender in any pot/bowl of your choice with no risk and no splashback. Great.

EDIT: Having just written this glowing review I decided to make some hummous with it and the motor burned out. Bah. I'm not necessarily blaming the blender, the mix probably needed more oil, and that funny smell should've warned me... but I'm not happy either. Be warned, keep it slushy. Chopper accessory up for grabs if anyone wants it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2011 2:33 PM GMT

Jekka's Complete Herb Book: In Association with the Royal Horticultural Society
Jekka's Complete Herb Book: In Association with the Royal Horticultural Society
by Jekka McVicar

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Treasure, 19 April 2009
A really beautiful book, packed with useful and interesting knowledge, clearly written by someone who knows exactly what she is talking about. Suitable for the beginner or for the experienced gardener, everything is very well explained, and it really is an inspiring piece of work. Although the tone is largely factual and informative, some wry humour creeps in here and there, which really adds to it. I'd love to meet the author.

The only thing that fell a little short was the pictures, although lovely, didn't always give me confidence that I'd be able to identify the plants. Could've done with a few less artsy photos and a few more "clinical" ones.

Overall though I highly recommend this book, it's a real treasure.