Profile for Harry > Reviews

Harry

Jam
Jam

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Yathzee Classic, 18 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Jam (Kindle Edition)
Loved Mogworld for its imagination and humour. Loved Jam for much the same reasons.
Yathzee's got a great sense of humour - it's one of the few books that actually made me laugh out loud. Great characters, brilliant concept: give it a go!

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Limited Edition Steelbook [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Martin Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Bilbo Baggins?, 11 April 2013
Not sure what I can say that hasn't already been said hundreds of times over. I adore the world created by Tolkien - I've devoured the books and thought the Lord of the Rings films nothing short of brilliance!

I've been eagerly awaiting the Hobbit series since I first heard Peter Jackson was returning to Middle-Earth and seeing the first installment last year I was overjoyed. Everything I imagined and more!

The performances, especially Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis as Bilbo and Gollum respectively are top notch and the dwarves, while perhaps not as well characterized as we were led to believe, are great fun to journey with and definitely occupy a larger role here than in the book (where they more or less represented an unlucky number for Bilbo to rectify).

The cinematography is spectacular, the music is gorgeous and it's a crime that the film didn't pick up an Oscar for make-up at least!

Buy this if you loved the film, loved Lord of the Rings or just love Middle-Earth!

Serenity [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Serenity [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Nathan Fillion

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything I was hoping for!, 11 April 2013
I only became a fan of the TV series 'Firefly' last year, but I think I can say I was hooked from the pilot; the concept, the aesthetics and especially the characters are so rounded and believable

But it ended too soon. That first series was the only series, all the more infuriating when you consider that the character arcs were just gaining traction and there were so many questions left unanswered.

So naturally I jumped on 'Serenity' when I learnt of its existence, hoping for some closure and a little more of my beloved crew of misfits. I was not disappointed - Mal and his crew are back like they never left us. All the characters are here, as wonderfully complex as they always were and up to their usual capers. But all that changes when River (the psychic prodigy sister of the Dr Simon Tam) reveals a secret with terrifying implications, not just for their crew-mates, but also the rest of the galaxy.

I won't spoil the plot, suffice to say it's bigger than anything our rogues have dealt with before; with action, heart and humour in abundance. What I will say is how impressed I was that the story not only feels like a continuation of the established story-line but also seems accessible enough to new audiences - of course you'd be a fool not to watch 'Firefly' first!

The only flaw I can think of is the initial pacing: after the prologue, the first act definitely feels like an extended episode. But when the story gains momentum, it's exhilarating. Not only that, but it also resolves a few of the plot threads that were crying out for resolution.

If you consider yourself a 'Firefly' fan at all or you've heard a lot about it, I would urge you to give it a try. You'll laugh, you'll cry and you'll be on the edge of your seat.

They aim to misbehave...