Profile for Jonathan Davis > Reviews

Content by Jonathan Davis

Jonathan Davis "JD" (Oxford, United Kingdom)

A Heart Blown Open: The Life and Practice of Zen Master Jun PO Denis Kelly Roshi
by Keith Martin-Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Mind Blown Open, 27 Sep 2012
I was given this book as a gift, at the same as having it on my own wish list. It was one of those books I'd eventually come round to reading. I am grateful I was given it sooner than buying it for myself later. This is a truly exceptional story about a living legend. If a person is defined by their past and how they moved through life's situations as they were presented to them, then Jun Po Denis Kelly earned the tag of 'legend' long ago. The book as a whole presented me with a captivating read, I read it pretty much anywhere I could; in the small snatches of time I could find between lunch breaks, breakfasts, bus trips and train journeys.

My only criticism of the book would be the inter-mingling of the author's voice with Denis's story, but that was bound to happen. The author himself has experienced extraordinary challenges, and I highly recommend you listen to this podcast to hear how he faced his own challenges:

[...]
(copy and paste the link into your browser!)

Then read the book!

Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives
Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives
by Dan Millman

5.0 out of 5 stars Starting on the path, 27 Jun 2010
I really enjoyed this Dan Millman book, as a semi-autobiographical tale of his college years in the 1960s there are plenty of universal lessons that can even be applied here in 2010. It's a very quick read, the chapters and structure of the book flies by. I know I will be re-reading this book again, not because I didn't understand it, but because I want to keep true to the lessons and examples it holds.

A great book for someone who needs a fictional take on personal growth and development.

The All New Print Production Handbook
The All New Print Production Handbook
by David Bann

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Gospel according to Print Production, 3 Nov 2009
I've had this book for the last two years now and it never fails to show me something new when it comes to book production. An elegantly designed book itself it displays first-hand the quality that can come from a book such as this.

Even trying to break it down to its physical components and basing a print specification for this book is challenging and a good exercise to do in a publishing class. With the sewn-binding, hi-res photos (both full colour and B/W) it won't be long until you understand the ins and outs of basic book production. A great primer for school!

Klipsch iGroove iPod Speaker System Black compatible with 3rd Gen Touch and 5th Gen Nano (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Wedding Present that mattered, 2 Aug 2009
I bought this for my brother's wedding and can say I was impressed by the design of the iGroove system. We used it for all the music during the ceremony, dinner and first dance - very good, rich sound, bass and treble levels all mixed very well. My only quip is that the remote isn't as quick to respond to the volume changes as when the ceremony ended I had to quickly crank up the volume for the wedding exit march.

All in all good product well worth having it around the home and know my brother and his wife will enjoy it!

Dreamweaver CS3 for Windows and Macintosh:Visual QuickStart Guide
Dreamweaver CS3 for Windows and Macintosh:Visual QuickStart Guide
by Tom Negrino

2.0 out of 5 stars Ever thought about colour?, 18 Feb 2009
I'm in agreement with the previous review: the assumption that this book makes is that the user will already have experience using Dreamweaver CS3. I too found the explanations laden with terminology I wasn't yet familiar with - some areas were alright, but the book could have benefited from full-colour images.

Moleskine Pocket Red Diary: Daily
Moleskine Pocket Red Diary: Daily
by Moleskine
Edition: Diary

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes For A Fantastic Gift!, 18 Feb 2009
What else can be said about the Moleskine product line...those who love it, love it passionately. Those who don't know about it, should buy one and enjoy the pleasure one gets by snapping the elastic around the cover -- keeping everything in its place.

It's one of those annual purchases you just have to make!

Remix: Making Art and Commerce Thrive in the Hybrid Economy
Remix: Making Art and Commerce Thrive in the Hybrid Economy
by Lawrence Lessig

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving Forward but mindful of history, 18 Feb 2009
Having just received Lessig's latest title through the mail on Monday I have been reading his position of taking the old and creating the new with great interest. Trying to understand how and why big media congolomerates and their "copyrighted" ways approach is measured with such extreme enforcement boggles the mind -- free exchange, with 'some rights reserved' is the way forward. I salute the Creative Commons movement that Lessig helped pioneer over 7 years ago and can't wait for this title to be available under that license. Soon you'll be able to read this title for free, share it, remix it and make something new...but in the end you'll want your own copy too.