Profile for Jonathan Davis > Reviews

Content by Jonathan Davis

Jonathan Davis "JD" (Oxford, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
The Butt
The Butt
by Will Self

2.0 out of 5 stars I normally like Will Self's writing and had hoped The Butt would ..., 2 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Butt (Hardcover)
Hard to get into. I normally like Will Self's writing and had hoped The Butt would have been similar to The Book of Dave, but I had to stop and restart a few time that the book just didn't take.

The Last Pilot
The Last Pilot
by Benjamin Johncock

5.0 out of 5 stars Shooting for the Moon (public declaration, I count the author as a friend), 2 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Last Pilot (Paperback)
I should declare straightaway the fact that having met the author on several occasions and having enjoyed his company at many a post-London Book Fair event, I couldn't be more happier having now had the chance to read his debut novel. The Last Pilot is a concise, clear and direct tale of the challenges a couple, Jim and Grace, face together, that splits them apart, but only to join them together again anew. Steeped in the historical events that encircled the USA's race for space domination after WWII, Jim is the strong, silent man of that era more interested in flight testing and shooting for the moon than addressing his own demons. And the author captures this persona perfectly; Grace is by-and-large Jim's better half: a strong, independent woman of the era, exploring her own boundarylessness after experiencing the grief that no mother ought to experience. But coming out the better for it. While it took me a bit of time to adjust to the author's choice of displaying his characters' dialogue, the lack of scare quotes and their impact on my reading was short lived. Speech is used sparingly, but used to good effect. And the details are what matters, and it was their treatment that gives the story so much strength. Some parts even made me cry. Read it and you will see.

Toshiba PLM02E-00D003EN CB30-B-104 13 inch Chromebook Laptop (Intel Celeron 2.16 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 16 GB SSD, Google Chrome OS) - Silver (Launched in 2015)

5.0 out of 5 stars A world of difference!, 2 Sept. 2015
The Toshiba Chromebook has all the performance without the heavy guts and processing power of its more standard desktop/laptop colleagues. It takes a bit of getting used to working in an 'always online' environment, but the Chrome Store has pretty much everything you need to get by. Simple document management and creation with Google Docs; Spreadsheets with Google Sheets; the increased storage space on Google Drive. What's not to like. It's so quiet and the battery life is amazing.

Born To Cycle - Babygrow / Bodysuit - Red - 0-3 Months
Born To Cycle - Babygrow / Bodysuit - Red - 0-3 Months
Offered by Dressdown

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 2 Sept. 2015
Great baby gift.

A Heart Blown Open: The Life and Practice of Zen Master Jun PO Denis Kelly Roshi
by Keith Martin-Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Mind Blown Open, 27 Sept. 2012
I was given this book as a gift, at the same as having it on my own wish list. It was one of those books I'd eventually come round to reading. I am grateful I was given it sooner than buying it for myself later. This is a truly exceptional story about a living legend. If a person is defined by their past and how they moved through life's situations as they were presented to them, then Jun Po Denis Kelly earned the tag of 'legend' long ago. The book as a whole presented me with a captivating read, I read it pretty much anywhere I could; in the small snatches of time I could find between lunch breaks, breakfasts, bus trips and train journeys.

My only criticism of the book would be the inter-mingling of the author's voice with Denis's story, but that was bound to happen. The author himself has experienced extraordinary challenges, and I highly recommend you listen to this podcast to hear how he faced his own challenges:

[...]
(copy and paste the link into your browser!)

Then read the book!

Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives
Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives
by Dan Millman

5.0 out of 5 stars Starting on the path, 27 Jun. 2010
I really enjoyed this Dan Millman book, as a semi-autobiographical tale of his college years in the 1960s there are plenty of universal lessons that can even be applied here in 2010. It's a very quick read, the chapters and structure of the book flies by. I know I will be re-reading this book again, not because I didn't understand it, but because I want to keep true to the lessons and examples it holds.

A great book for someone who needs a fictional take on personal growth and development.

The All New Print Production Handbook
The All New Print Production Handbook
by David Bann

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Gospel according to Print Production, 3 Nov. 2009
I've had this book for the last two years now and it never fails to show me something new when it comes to book production. An elegantly designed book itself it displays first-hand the quality that can come from a book such as this.

Even trying to break it down to its physical components and basing a print specification for this book is challenging and a good exercise to do in a publishing class. With the sewn-binding, hi-res photos (both full colour and B/W) it won't be long until you understand the ins and outs of basic book production. A great primer for school!

Klipsch iGroove HG iPod Speaker System Black
Klipsch iGroove HG iPod Speaker System Black

4.0 out of 5 stars The Wedding Present that mattered, 2 Aug. 2009
I bought this for my brother's wedding and can say I was impressed by the design of the iGroove system. We used it for all the music during the ceremony, dinner and first dance - very good, rich sound, bass and treble levels all mixed very well. My only quip is that the remote isn't as quick to respond to the volume changes as when the ceremony ended I had to quickly crank up the volume for the wedding exit march.

All in all good product well worth having it around the home and know my brother and his wife will enjoy it!

Dreamweaver CS3 for Windows and Macintosh:Visual QuickStart Guide
Dreamweaver CS3 for Windows and Macintosh:Visual QuickStart Guide
by Tom Negrino

2.0 out of 5 stars Ever thought about colour?, 18 Feb. 2009
I'm in agreement with the previous review: the assumption that this book makes is that the user will already have experience using Dreamweaver CS3. I too found the explanations laden with terminology I wasn't yet familiar with - some areas were alright, but the book could have benefited from full-colour images.

Moleskine Pocket Red Diary: Daily
Moleskine Pocket Red Diary: Daily
by Moleskine
Edition: Diary

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes For A Fantastic Gift!, 18 Feb. 2009
What else can be said about the Moleskine product line...those who love it, love it passionately. Those who don't know about it, should buy one and enjoy the pleasure one gets by snapping the elastic around the cover -- keeping everything in its place.

It's one of those annual purchases you just have to make!

Page: 1 | 2