Profile for Pete > Reviews

Content by Pete
Top Reviewer Ranking: 516

Pete (Ipswich United Kingdom)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Pharma Nord Bio-Pycnogenol 150 tablets
Pharma Nord Bio-Pycnogenol 150 tablets
Offered by Verdure Plus

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective at reducing my hay fever symptoms, 14 July 2016
I continue to use this for hay fever and it continues to work well, with a caveat I will cover in a moment. I take one tablet AM and one tablet PM. I would say it reduces my hay fever symptoms by around 75% so it's not a miracle cure. In practical terms, it means that rather than suffer from early May, with full-on antihistamines being taken daily from mid-May to late August, I have only had one single day so far this summer where I was overwhelmed so to speak by pollen and had to take a nasal spray (which, oddly, had no effect either!). So just not having to take medication is a bonus as I get very tired on it, with other side effects. The day I was bad was on a walk on a heath, however, the following days I was fine, so it was maybe just unlucky. I do still get sneezing here and there and in particular stinging eyes sometimes, but I can live with it and more often than not don't have any issues despite the pollen forecast being high. And I walk around 2 - 3 times a week in woodland and heath areas so I am exposed a lot to pollen.

The caveat is that I also take two grapeseed extract tablets in the evening (for piles, sorry! But it has cured them too!) and I read recently in a research article that it's the same class of substance. So, if you take two tablets of this as I do and it does not work so well, try either a higher dose or try grapeseed extract alongside it.

As always with this type of supplement I think the results are hit and miss, it will work for some not others, but I do think it is worth at least trying if, like me, you don't like the side effects of antihistamines much. Finally, although this brand is considered expensive (because of the higher grade of manufacture) it does actually work out, on a pence per mg basis, as cheap as many other lesser brands. So do take into account number of tablets and strength when comparing.

Crispy Seaweed Tao Kae Noi Brand Spicy Flavour 5 x Packs - Thai Snack
Crispy Seaweed Tao Kae Noi Brand Spicy Flavour 5 x Packs - Thai Snack
Offered by StyleHairCare

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice introduction to seaweed with pleasant taste and texture, 14 July 2016
Now on my second batch of this. It tastes really nice with a little spicy kick and the packet is resealable to keep it fresh. Totally different to anything native to the UK and it's fun trying to encourage friends and family to try it. It's an ideal introduction to seaweed as it tastes nothing like you'd expect it to and is totally different to raw seaweed or the dehydrated stuff which definitely tastes of the sea and not in a nice way. Really good value as a multipack rather than buying individual packets and delivery on the second occasion was within a week or so.

Smidge That Midge Insect Repellent 75 ml
Smidge That Midge Insect Repellent 75 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well for me against Suffolk's finest biting insects, 14 July 2016
I'd like to add to the many reviewers that have found this works well, as that's my experience too. I've been using it for around two years now, mostly on walks around nature reserves in Suffolk and on quite a few night adventures, so have been exposed to a variety of biting things. The only places I get bitten are were the Smidge didn't cover, usually by my watch strap or under the collar. So I would recommend taking off watches, spectacles, hats etc and applying Smidge to ensure you get good coverage to include under collars and down the back of your neck etc.

What prompted me to review this after all this time was an experience this week. As I hadn't had a bite for a while I decided not to apply this for an experiment to see if it made any difference. Within 15 mins of a woodland walk I felt the prick of a mosquito on my forearm, shortly after I had another one land on my other arm, plus a constant droning sound of them trying to dive bomb my neck. So I applied the Smidge and was not bothered again, proving - at least to myself - it's effective. I usually apply a few squirts to my tarp hat too, so I really stink of it.

The minor negatives are that you shouldn't apply this just before queuing up in a cafe somewhere as you do smell a bit. Also on some occasions it can make my skin, especially on my face, go a little red. Not sore, just a bit red. And there's a certain type of larger black fly (like a house fly, not a horse fly) that can pester you in numbers on the heathland here in summer, I think they're after sweat as they never seem to bite, they fly around in a large column over your head and follow you - this is not a deterrent to them, they still pester you, but don't bite. It doesn't stop non-biting things like beetle swarms either from landing on you. So it seems more of a "biting prevention cream" than a "insect repellent cream" if that makes sense?

However the smell is nowhere near as bad as the nearest competing product, Avon Skin So Soft, I have tried that too, but it's too smelly and greasy.

Each bottle seems to last for ages too, I only need to buy on average one bottle a year.

The Raw Chocolate Organic Raw Cacao Powder 180g
The Raw Chocolate Organic Raw Cacao Powder 180g
Offered by Maximum Supplements

1.0 out of 5 stars No longer states raw on the product as stated, 22 Jun. 2016
I've been buying this brand from Amazon for years, but the latest product sent is in different packaging. The front no longer has the "Raw Food" symbol as shown here, on the back it now describes it as "Amazonian Cacao Powder" instead of "Our un-roasted Amazonian Cacao powder" and the statement "not heated above 60C" has been removed from the ingredients.

This might make no difference whatsoever to those cooking with it, but for those looking for a raw product for non-heated health smoothies, it could make all the difference in the world. And the product listing here still shows the old packaging with the see-through front window.

Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P/BB (Shell No Hard drive) 4 Channel NVR HDMI VGA 25 Mbps Inbound Bandwidth PoE
Offered by Raychip

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb NVR, 18 Oct. 2015
This is my first NVR, replacing a PC and software solution. I have three Hikvision cams so this model seemed the best, allowing an extra camera in the future if required. I bought this at the same time as a drive, I went for the Western Digital Purple drive here on Amazon which is supposedly dedicated to this type of application.

Installation of the drive was easy and required unscrewing the case cover, screwing the drive in and plugging in the supplied data and power leads (shaped so they only go in the right place and the right way). After powering it up you need to initialise the drive, which again is simple.

Once into the system you may set the cameras up differently to me (ie. plug and play); mine were already assigned IPs on the PC and router setup so I manually changed them to the NVR's required IPs to access directly on the NVR ports. The manuals and tutorials online explain all this in detail.

A couple of tips: I found the quality of the image on the screen a lot lower than accessing the cameras previously via my PC and after some head scratching it turned out the NVR, despite connecting to my monitor by HDMI, was outputting in VGA resolution. Once changed to 1080p, it looked fine. Second, I missed being able to access the CCTVs directly because the NVR only allows minimal access to the camera set up options (you connect direct to the NVR rather than the router), however, this is available by accessing the NVR set-up via a browser and enabling the "virtual host" which is effectively port forwarding on the NVR, so you can access each connected camera directly like before if you need to.

I now have three cameras connected and recording at 1080p and it doesn't miss a beat, even tweaking the bit rate of each one up to 8k (though I have since gone back down to 4k to allow bandwidth for connecting remotely). The options available are simply amazing and it just proves if you have a system dedicated to a task it does it so much better. Examples are instant replay 5 mins back, fantastic replay using a time selecting bar to any point and ability to replay multiple cams on the same screen. You can also see changes to settings there and then on the screen, like if you change the camera bit rate or video quality.

I needed to save some footage of some chavs vandalising something outside, here you just connect a USB stick and then export your footage, you can do this in a few ways but I select a start and finish time. There's not an option to export a screen grab that I can see, for this, I access the NVR by browser and use the replay function on that, which has a "snapshot" option. On that subject, the browser access of the NVR is brilliant (once you have installed the required web components from the manufacturers site) including a full screen multi-cam view and replay options. The only issue I had was the my broadband upload speed is rubbish, so I could not view any camera remotely in full HD, I had to use the sub stream, but this is down to my internet speed not the NVR (which works flawlessly when accessing via a browser locally).

In a couple of weeks it has only crashed once, when hitting the 5 min replay option, it rebooted fine and was back up and running and recording by itself within a few mins (another advantage over using a PC).

I like the ease of switching from multiple view to full screen just by double clicking. In replay also you can pause, play backwards, slow motion, speed up and so on.

Others have commented this unit is quiet in operation. Maybe I have a duff fan but mine is noisy. I don't mean squeaky I mean "whirry"; I wouldn't want this in the lounge or bedroom. I guess this is relative, it's as noisy as my old PC but not in any way quiet or silent which might be an issue for some.

After ten says or so I am so pleased with this, 25fps 1080 footage on three connected cameras (running 24/7); it does everything it is supposed to and does it very well.

TP-LINK TL-POE200 Power over Ethernet Adapter Kit
TP-LINK TL-POE200 Power over Ethernet Adapter Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Powers Hikvision POE CCTV camera very well, 1 Oct. 2015
Bought to power a Hikvision POE CCTV camera and worked great. Note this is significantly cheaper than POE kits sold by most CCTV dealers, so unsure why their kit should cost so much more. This works great - though powering just one item of course.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2015 9:53 AM GMT

HIKVISION DS-2CD2032-1 IP True Day Night 3 MP IR Bullet CCTV Camera
HIKVISION DS-2CD2032-1 IP True Day Night 3 MP IR Bullet CCTV Camera
Offered by Raychip

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb camera for the money, 1 Oct. 2015
I've been operating this CCTV now for a day and an evening, testing it in normal light, sunlight and darkness (under street lighting) next to an older Foscam which it is intended to replace.

It's important to understand firstly that I've been running home CCTV cameras for over five years now so can't really comment on how suitable this camera is for beginners. In practice, I unpacked it, installed it, changed the IP settings and port forwarded to it all without reading the manual, so I would say if you've set up any camera before you should be fine. In any case, good manuals are available online and there are loads of comprehensive clips on YouTube.

The Hikvision seemed the cheapest way to toe-dip into 1080p CCTV and I was really impressed with the sample footage seen from this online.

So to the camera itself. When I unpacked it I was really pleased with the small-ish size. I was a bit worried it would be too big as it's replacing pan and tilt CCTVs on my upper floor windowsills and didn't want them to stand out, but it's fine. From outside it actually has the same or less diameter front-on than the head of the Foscams. Note you will need to do something creative to use it the "wrong" way up, it is designed to be attached to a wall or ceiling, I screwed the mounting plate down onto a bit of wood and then raised this up with some books so it "looks" over the window frame and doesn't fall over. It's a ball and socket type joint so the plate can go anywhere, ceiling or below the camera, but obviously in screwing it down into something (rather than up into a ceiling) you will need to make sure what you screw it on is stable. Not sure how many people will use it in this orientation and perhaps the "Cube" version of this camera which is free-standing would have been the better choice for a window sill, but I wanted an outdoor version in case I did mount it outside later on.

If you're worried about powering this, don't be - actually you will find if you have Foscams or any similar 12v camera that your existing PSU will fit - this does come with both an ethernet connector and a 12v input. However, I wanted to "inject" the power at the router end of things (note, this is NOT wireless and needs a physical connection to your router - either directly via cable or indirectly via powerline adapters) using a TP-LINK TL-POE200 POE kit which is cheaper than kits sold by CCTV dealers.

Once powered up and connecting via Firefox browser to the default IP (printed on the box) I was actually surprised how wide the view was. In fact I double checked numerous times I had not been sent a 2.8mm instead of 4mm but all the labels said 4mm. Looking into this more, I don't even think Hikvision do a 2.8mm version of this, rather that's the Trendnet clone that goes down to 2.8mm. Anyway, it seemed wider than the 3.6mm Foscam view, but more of this later. (Quickly to explain, for newbies, the smaller the mm number, the wider angle the view. So usually 4mm is standard, 6mm zoomed in a bit, 10mm zoomed in more, 2.8mm wider and 2mm or less getting on for fish eye).

Once set up on the windowsill and accessing the video stream I was blown away. Also attached is a photo showing a crop into footage of a bus in daylight. Note the top shot is the Foscam 0.3mp camera and the lower is the Hikvision 3mp but downsized into 1080p mode, but the difference is obvious. Not only the detail but the colours are "true" in the Hikvision, the Foscam has some different way of dealing with daylight/IR and so some colours are false (in real terms makes it hard to be sure clothing or cars are the actual colours shown on video, on the Foscam).

The frame rate was also amazing, looks very smooth even at 1080p. I did try up at the 3mp full mode, but really here I am over stretching my network and the detail is wasted in my 1080p screen on the PC and smaller screen on the MacBook, so I settled for 1080p as the best resolution to use.

Setting this up to record on WebcamXP Pro was easy enough (I updated it first so the Hikvision was listed) though I intend to switch over to a Hikvision NVR and ditch the PC, once I get my other cameras.

Back over on Firefox and I ran into a few issues. First on the PC it didn't like the Quicktime version and would not auto update, so I found I had to go direct to the Apple site and download the latest version of Quicktime, this fixed it. Over on the Mac it worked fine, but I noticed I couldn't save any option changes and there were no options to take a screen grab. After some Googling I found you need to install Hikvision's "Web components" package for Mac OS which you can download from their site. Once this plugin is installed, you get all the options appear in Firefox.

And my, what a treat compared to my older cams! Now there's options to record locally which is amazing (record via the browser to your laptop or whatever you are viewing on!), plus an extensive array of tweaks. Brightness, contrast, noise reduction, dynamic range, saturation and sharpness to name a few. So much to tweak to get the image just right for you.

However in normal daylight the default settings were more or less OK for me.

Now back to the wideness of the lens. At 4mm I was expecting a tighter view than the 3.6mm Foscam but it's far wider! Look at the attached image though I think it might be ruined if it's resized after uploading, but I will try. This is a strip of an image, showing the Foscam's view on top at 3.6mm and the Hikvision at 4mm on the bottom, yes, the 4mm is wider. So, you cannot directly compare the mm rating of the lenses between these two brands. Importantly here, the left of the Hikvision image is the window frame and the right is a rooftop, so no panning is needed to cover the whole view, on the Foscam I need the pan/tilt to move around. So I won't have any problems with the Hikvision being non-PT. I should point out that things appear in slightly different places in this image because of parallax - the cameras are 3m apart, but I lined up the features on the left and right.

The next challenge was the setting sun. This wipes out the Foscam but the Hikvision coped better, still being able to show much of the image. I have attached another comparison. Note the Foscam had a black area where the sun is and CCD smear as a vertical line. The Hikvision does not (this is a very small crop from a larger image).

Now, on to night view. A reminder I am on a windowsill indoors looking out to a street lit scene so am NOT using the IR (which would reflect off the glass and blind the camera). I will test the IR on my next camera which is mounted externally and will update another time. Anyway at first look the Foscam looks nicer to the eye as blacks are blacker, the Hikvision looked washed out. However the Foscam gets the blacks by using a slow shutter, the Hikvision maintains a 30fps rate! This means you can actually see things sharply at night. On the Foscam, people moving even at walking speeds are blurs and car lights leave trails. Anything moving at night, even street lit like here, is a mess on the Foscam but the Hikvision actually does a good job keeping things sharp and fluid. I was so impressed with this, what a step forward and I actually think better night vision than my new 720p Panasonic which cost nearly three times as much. Also I switched noise reduction OFF, you can make night views smoother but I prefer sharpness and grain, just a personal preference.

Having spent a day with this CCTV there is no way I will buy Foscam again, I can't see the point, for the slightly increased outlay this camera is so much better but I must stress this upgrade also sees me go from 0.3 to 3.0 megapixels and I have not yet tried any of the newer, 1080p Foscams. And unsure I would venture into the price range of Panasonics again - don't get me wrong I like my C230 and VT164 but unsure if they are worth that extra money now I have seen this. The C230 is wireless but no IR, the VT164 is not even wireless. Great image quality though.

What I'm doing next probably is the best indication of what I think of this Hikvision CCTV - I am buying another one of these to replace the Foscam on the other side of the house, and the mini-dome version to replace my porch cam. That means 3 x Foscam will be replaced by 3 x Hikvision and then I will move over to a Hikvision dedicated NVR which has a lot of advantages over my PC and WebcamXP Pro set up.

Please do ask any questions particularly if you are a Foscam user and looking to upgrade.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2015 12:15 PM GMT

Bosch TWK7607GB Village Collection Kettle, 1.7 L - Beige
Bosch TWK7607GB Village Collection Kettle, 1.7 L - Beige

5.0 out of 5 stars Super kettle, 25 Aug. 2015
Super kettle, I love the size (slightly more compact than my previous kettle), the shape, the off-white colour, the lack of any odd tastes like some have commented on, and the fact it boils quickly. Other than that not a lot to say about it!

LINDY Computer Technician Precision Torx Set
LINDY Computer Technician Precision Torx Set
Offered by In21 Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Good set of screwdrivers, 25 Aug. 2015
Good quality screwdrivers and in a nice case - worked well for my occasional PC use.

Estone 20Pcs Magic Multi Sponge Clean Foam Cleaner Cleansing Eraser Car Wash Kitchen
Offered by SORWEET(Ship from China)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the ones I bought off the TV shopping channel, 25 Aug. 2015
Well the major debate in these reviews is whether these are as good as the TV shopping channel ones. For me the answer is a clear no, and that's based on using these side by side with the few TV ones I had left. These quite simply are significantly weaker. Whilst we all expect the pads to break up over rough surfaces, these break up on smooth ones too. For example, cleaning a counter top, you will in a short time wear through to your fingers. Add in the extremely long delivery time and despite the low price I will not be re-ordering. Using a whole large pad every time you do some basic cleaning just isn't value for money.

It's worth noting that reviews of the TV shopping ones now show a lot of people complaining they're not as good even from the "original" sources. I wonder if in fact the design or manufacture of these has changed? It's such a shame, the pack I bought off TV five years ago were really good.

I have since discovered that the various bleach-based kitchen sprays and also CIF are just as good at cleaning so it's unlikely I'll bother with more of these when they run out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6