Profile for J. Shell > Reviews

Content by J. Shell

J. Shell "Talking Voice" (Surrey, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Court of Conspiracy (The Tudor Enigma)
Court of Conspiracy (The Tudor Enigma)

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, so I would like a real book please!, 8 July 2014
I bought this because I happen to live near Hampton Court Palace and wanted to read something 'different' about somewhere I love. Initially I was thrown by the idea of it not being historically correct in that we are in the Court of Henry IX but there were familiar characters in Anne Boleyn and Elizabeth and Mary and it says much for the author's writing skills that soon I was immersed within that world and became intrigued by the plot and the magic. It is to her credit that the magical components seem entirely plausible and I was put in mind of the Pullman novels which assume this so well too.
My personal gripe, and it is very personal, is that I want to read a proper book version of this. It has taken my much longer to read it because I don't have a kindle and downloaded it onto my laptop which I associate with work and not leisure. Tis is SUCH a good read that I want to literally turn the pages rather than click my mouse!
I gather there may be a series of this book and I cannot wait for the next one to come out! Perhaps one day I will see it on the shelves at HCP itself?!

Home-tek Light 'n' Easy HT807 Hunter Hand-held Turbo Vacuum Cleaner
Home-tek Light 'n' Easy HT807 Hunter Hand-held Turbo Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by SaversKingdom

2.0 out of 5 stars re-assembling it, 7 Jan 2014
This is a great little hoover but I am despairing of it as I just cannot re-assemble it after cleaning. The plastic cup which fits over the HEPA filter is nigh on impossible to put back on - I fear breaking it. My husband had trouble but managed it - nobody else seems to be having this problem but it is one for me

Samsung SE-208DB/TSBS Slim Portable External USB 2.0 DVDRW - Black
Samsung SE-208DB/TSBS Slim Portable External USB 2.0 DVDRW - Black
Offered by Cell World EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and useful, 20 Nov 2013
I needed a CD player for my laptop which told me in all the specs and even when I rang up that it had one! After looking around, I plumped for this which is sleek and a pleasure to touch. The button mechanism is likely to go with use but this seems robust enough. Good product - does what it needs to - end of

HDMI TO VGA Cable Adapter for PC Laptop Power-Free, Raspberry Pi, MHL support
HDMI TO VGA Cable Adapter for PC Laptop Power-Free, Raspberry Pi, MHL support
Offered by CableMac

5.0 out of 5 stars did the job, 20 Nov 2013
That's all there is to say - used it for the first time last week and it coped with my new laptop and windows 8.1. Relief! thank you!

Mozart: Requiem, Ave verum corpus
Mozart: Requiem, Ave verum corpus

3.0 out of 5 stars CD great but where are the inserts?, 20 Nov 2013
I bought this Cd in good faith that it was the original recording and musically it is fine - but there are no programme notes or CD inserts - and I am particularly cross because I took part in this recording! Not to acknowledge all the artists is not ok and there is no explanation of Roger's thinking behind this edition which is not Sussmayer's completion. The latin is Germanic latin for anybody interested but if you listen to the Lacrimosa and you are used to hearing one particular version, you will want to know why this differs and the scholarly thinking behind it.
So while the actual CD is good enough - it is let down by the paucity of information.

Sullivan: Chamber and Instrumental Music
Sullivan: Chamber and Instrumental Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, 20 Nov 2013
Really enjoyable Cd with stunning soloists and it's great to hear Sullivan when he is not with Gilbert and to get a feel for his other music

niceEshop Battery Powered Flameless LED Tealight Votive Candles Light,Yellow
niceEshop Battery Powered Flameless LED Tealight Votive Candles Light,Yellow
Offered by Cosy-Zone

3.0 out of 5 stars Low battery, 22 Dec 2011
I became a fan of battery candles following a successful experience with the pillar candles and a few tealights from another provider. These candles arrived and the first thing I noticed was how much more clumsy and large these are. The 'flame' cannot be exposed as it looks so false. The claim for long lasting battery life is just wrong I am afraid, and each candle requires three small circular batteries. The best way to use these is sparingly and inside a deeper votive or something which hides the whole candle. Disappointing.

Into The Storm (Region 2) Brendan Gleeson, Janet McTeer
Into The Storm (Region 2) Brendan Gleeson, Janet McTeer
Offered by Acid Vibes

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong region, 13 Oct 2011
I ordered this and tried to play it and although it says it is region 2 - it is NOT! Somebody is providing this falsely and I paid for it
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2013 8:28 PM GMT

Ashes To Ashes - Series 2 - Complete [DVD] [2009]
Ashes To Ashes - Series 2 - Complete [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Philip Glenister
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars wall to wall watching, 30 Mar 2010
I am an addict. It started when my brother gave me Life on Mars for Christmas and suddenly I was hooked. I am now totally up to date. The DVD offers some extras although not enough on the making of the series for me. What can you say - you either get into it or not. If you are into it, you buy the DVDs and wait in anticipation for the final series. I will be ordering my copy of that rest assured.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ball, 13 Jan 2010
It was bought as a present and arrived on time and was liked by the recipient

Page: 1 | 2