Profile for E. J. Berge > Reviews

Content by E. J. Berge

E. J. Berge (London, England)

Economics: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Economics: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Partha Dasgupta

1.0 out of 5 stars An entirely misleading title, 14 Feb. 2011
As someone who has never studied economics beyond reading newspapers, I thought that this 'introduction' to economics would be a good place to start. However, it quickly slips into jargon and the examples given are very non-specific and difficult to grasp without some very slow reading. I admit, I gave up after fifty pages of 'suppose person A has a commodity' etc. For beginners like me, and probably even for more advanced readers, some specific examples would have helped to understand the concept.

In general, I found this a very dry and difficult read.

Changeling
Changeling
by Steve Feasey

5.0 out of 5 stars A strong debut, 10 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Changeling (Paperback)
I used to be a child who read adult books; now I'm an adult who reads children's books. Looking back, I wish there had been more books like this around - it's exciting without lacking content, the characters are recognisable without being a cliche. The tone of the book is swift and concise without ever being patronising, which was a problem I found all too prominent as a child reading children's books. Although it includes a possible love interest between Trey and Alexa, Feasey doesn't flesh it out with the predictable romance story authors seem to think young readers want. I guess this is partly because the book is aimed at boys, but I think girls will enjoy it just as much. All in all, it's a strong debut and I'm now off to read the second book, which I hope to enjoy as much as the first.

Talk Now! Learn French: Essential Words and Phrases for Absolute Beginners (Mac/PC CD)

3.0 out of 5 stars For beginners and tourists, 11 July 2009
The program is very easy to use and you definitely feel like you're getting somewhere with it. Although the games are a little uninspired, it gives you enough variation to practice without getting bored. However, this is for absolute beginners and I wouldn't expect to be able to get by speaking French without further help. The phrases are good to know but useless unless you can understand the answer, and the words are useful but, again, not much use unless you can put them in context. A good foundation, but not much more than that.

Life Swap
Life Swap
by Jane Green

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much sugar to be my cup of tea, 19 July 2008
This review is from: Life Swap (Paperback)
When I started this book, I couldn't help feeling that the author hadn't really put too much thought into her characters. As I went on, I couldn't bring myself to empathise with these cardboard cut out caricatures.

Though the story is a decent enough idea, it's carried out with too much sugar and not enough grit. That it has a happy ending is hardly a suprise, and there's no kind of struggle or hardship to get to it, and so is basically meaningless.

I finished the book, and did find the odd moment amusing, but mostly found the whole thing too sweet and too pat to be satisfying.

Pilates For Life [DVD]
Pilates For Life [DVD]
Dvd ~ Darcy Bussell

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but too long, 8 July 2008
This review is from: Pilates For Life [DVD] (DVD)
I originally got this dvd in an attempt to help my back problems.. Overall I see no improvement to my back, if anything it's worse, but that's probably just me and my weird and annoying back.
Otherwise, this dvd's pretty good. I especially feel the difference in my stomach. The stomach section is just the right length and gives me a decent work out. The arms section is a little short and dissappointing.
My main quibble with this dvd is the time. The 50 minute work out it promises is actually more like an hour, and that doesn't include the warm up or the warm down, which add an extra 15 minutes or so. Generally I find that I get bored before the end of the programme. As the full programme is meant to be done 3 times a week, I would only recommend this to people with time and patience
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2009 1:45 AM GMT

Wicked - Original Cast Recording
Wicked - Original Cast Recording
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars The best musical I know, 15 Mar. 2006
As a musical theatre student, I know a lot of musicals, but I can say without a shadow of doubt that this is my favourite. It grabs you right from the opening 10 seconds with its fabulous music, then draws you in with brilliant performances from Idina Menzel, Krisin Chenoweth and Norbert Leo Butz. Their voices are stunning, and there are also some brilliant ensemble performances, with brilliant harmonies and dynamics.
The songs are inspired, from the light hearted humour of 'What Is This Feeling' and 'Popular' to the beautiful and dark 'As Long As You're Mine' and the dramatic and musically phenomenal 'Defying Gravity'.
Maybe as a recording it's not completely perfect, but I love it and it's definately on my most played list. And I have my ticket for when it comes to England!

Macbeth (The Shakespeare Collection) [DVD] (1983)
Macbeth (The Shakespeare Collection) [DVD] (1983)
Dvd ~ Nicol Williamson
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for actors!, 15 Mar. 2006
Having remembered this version of Macbeth from school, I thought I'd have another look at it to help me in my studies of Shakespeare (as a university drama student). However, it seems my memory had played tricks on me. To be fair, I only watched the 1st half hour of the film before giving up on it, so it may have picked up later, but I gave up on it because of the appalling acting. Every thing is so over the top that it grates. Although Jane Lapotaire does an interesting interpretation of the 'come, you spirits' speech, she may as well have a sign saying 'I Am Acting' written above her. Nicol Williamson can't even claim that. And of course, being an obvious low budget film, the costume, camera work and scenery are nothing to rave about. All in all, I can find nothing that I could recommend about this film, especially not to drama students.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2013 7:45 PM BST