Profile for Mr. Sm Smith > Reviews

Content by Mr. Sm Smith

Mr. Sm Smith "Tiste Simeon" (UK)

Discovering God
Discovering God

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent & Thought Provoking, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Discovering God (Kindle Edition)
Using simple language, yet going deep into the original Hebrew and Greek texts, Dr Aubrey presents us with a fascinating and - hopefully - life changing look at who God actually is. Many books talk about what He has done, and what He can do for us, but this book delves into the nature and person of God.

Don't let my mention of Hebrew and Greek put you off, this is not a book solely for aged scholars in their dusty studies. This is an exciting and powerful look at God in a fresh way that is currently unfolding new chapters in my prayer life - it makes a difference if you know who you're talking to! Seriously, the concepts in this book are simultaneously not that hard to grasp and yet mind blowing in what they actually mean! My only minor quibble is that I could do with pronunciation guide in the section about the names of God as I have no idea how to say Tsidkenu!

Highly recommended for anyone who just wants to know God in a deeper and more fulfilling way.

The Never Ending Way Of Orwarrior
The Never Ending Way Of Orwarrior
Offered by thebookcommunity

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing!, 3 April 2010
Seriously, get this album! I could go on for ages about the complex musicianship, deep and engaging themes, the quality of the metal intertwining with the Eastern influence, but there simply isn't space on Amazon to go into how great this is! It is an album that takes you on a journey through many incredible tunes, instrumentals and of course some good old fashioned hard rocking heavy metal!

Buy it now, thank me later. :-D

Opeth: The Roundhouse Tapes [DVD] [2010]
Opeth: The Roundhouse Tapes [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Opeth
Offered by Vinylhead

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny!, 29 Nov 2008
Yes, it may be the case that Opeth are releasing a DVD of an album that I spent money on about a year ago. But you know what? I find myself not caring. With a band with such quality and incredible musicianship, I think it is worth it. The CD of The Roundhouse Tapes gave me a taster, got me licking my lis, and now the DVD is reminding me yet again how significant this band are, not only in the world of progressive metal, but music in general (though your average punter would never know it!) Having seen them live this week (the week I write this) on the Watershed Tour, I know how fantastic an Opeth show is.
I have Lamentations, and it was a great show. The Roundhouse Tapes takes it to the next level. I am most annoyed that I wasn't in that particular show as I'm sure it would have been mindblowing. But I can take comfort in the fact that I can listen to it and now watch it.

Thank you Opeth, and continue to produce quality stuff!

Mabool - the Story of the Three Sons of Seven [Ltd Edition]
Mabool - the Story of the Three Sons of Seven [Ltd Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointed at all!, 5 Jun 2006
I wasn't sure what to expect from Orphaned Land. I read about them on wikipedia and was interested by the sound of them and thought I would check them out. I liked the sound of this concept, and went for this album.

I was not disappointed in any way shape or form. This album is absolutely incredible! From the heavier songs such as the opening track "The Birth of the Three" and "Mabool" to the folkier songs such as "Nora El Nora" to the quieter songs, namel "The Calm Before the Flood" the band produces high quality metal, mixed with traditional oriental folk music.

This might sound weird to people who aren't into metal or folk music, but I would say one thing to everyone: Give them a try! I think you will be pleasantly surprised! Even if you don't like the death metal growl, it is very easy to get past this on this album, and settle into the incredible instrumentals and intruiging lyrics.

Terminate Damnation
Terminate Damnation

5.0 out of 5 stars You will not hear a band this good for a long time!, 6 Dec 2005
This review is from: Terminate Damnation (Audio CD)
Imagine what would happen if you crossed the growling vocals of bands like Demon Hunter or Slipknot, the instrumentals of bands like Dream Theater, the pure heavy brilliance of bands like System of a Down and then added Christian lyrics. You may have an idea of what Becoming the Archetype sounds like. Terminate Damnation is the best album I have heard in a long time. Combining death metal like heaviness and vocals with amazing guitar and piano solos, and the occasional acoustic bit, this is an album the likes of which you probably will not have ever heard before. Fans of bands like Opeth, or just fans of the Christian heavy metal scene will seriously enjoy this band. A definite must!!

Memories of Ice (Book 3 of The Malazan Book of the Fallen)
Memories of Ice (Book 3 of The Malazan Book of the Fallen)

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, he's done it again..., 9 Oct 2004
Just when you thought it was safe to take a deep breath, Steven Erikson lets forth a rip roaring third book in his stunning series of "A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen" And yes, this one does go one beyond the previous two. How he can do it, I don't think we'll ever know, but this series is the possibly the best thing to ever happen to fiction. Incredibly deep and complex, with an underlying dark humour to keep you going, MOI reveals a lot about characters and storylines from the first two books, whilst again introducing new ones. Of course there is also the mandatory stunning battle scenes, with the magic that Erikson fans have come to know and love. All I can say to anyone who has read the first two but not this one, get it now. You won't regret it, I promise.

Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 of The Malazan Book of the Fallen)
Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 of The Malazan Book of the Fallen)

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't think it was possible..., 9 Oct 2004
After reading the superb first book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, I didn't think anything could go above it's brilliance. This book however, does. Bringing back a few of the characters from Gardens of the Moon, then adding handfuls of new and highly detailed ones, the book drags you farther into this amazing world that Steven Erikson has created. Assassinations, wars, Gods men and monsters all hook you right onto Eriksons train of thought and you are either unable, or, more likely unwilling to let go again. Fantastic stuff!

Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen)
Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Stunning!, 9 Oct 2004
I have read many very good fantasy books, by a wide variety of authors, but this wipes the floor clean with all of them. Never in my life have I read something so deeply complex yet utterly brilliant. I don't think it will be possible to top it. Not for a LONG time anyway. Hugely detailed characters, intricate plot twists and superb battle scenes all contribute to make this book one the most stunning reads ever!

Final Fantasy VIII Platinum
Final Fantasy VIII Platinum
Offered by Clubit tv Retail

5.0 out of 5 stars Final Fantasy VIII - Can it get better?, 5 Dec 2001
This is THE best game ever made on any form of console. The plot is amazing, the graphics are perfect and the gameplay is fantastic. You control a group of elite mercenaries who set out to assassinate the evil sorceress, however it thickens and later on you find that all is not as it seems... BUY IT!!!!!