Profile for Shirley > Reviews

Content by Shirley

Shirley "Shirley" (Harrow, Middx United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mr Selfridge - Series 1 [DVD] [2013]
Mr Selfridge - Series 1 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Piven
Price: 7.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A trip back in time with Mr Selfridge - I loved it., 13 Jun 2014
I saw the second serious on TV and really enjoyed it so retrospectively bought series 1. Fact or fiction.... I. loved it. As a child I was often taken to Selfridges in London and looked around in awe...... I often wondered things about it and especially if it was purpose built, what it would have sold and where everything came from etc - 100 or more years ago.
What also struck a chord with me was the distinction between the classes - which is my family to a T. I enjoy being taken back in time and imagining my grandparents living in these times. Just amazing how different things were just a couple of generations ago . Not sure what parts are fact and fiction but it doesn't really matter. Unfortunately we cannot go back in time to take a peak to see how things were so I am really grateful that programmes like this are made to allow us a glimpse back in a time. The costumes are incredible and the set itself is out of this world - I was gobsmacked to learn it was purpose built in a warehouse in Neasden (must have cost a small fortune!). A recommended watch. I am going to buy the book on which the series is based now.

Richmond Toys World War II Spitfire Mk Vb Model Plane with Moving Propeller and Engine Sound
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little plant, 22 April 2014
Love this - I bought this for my 5 year old who loves Spitfire's. However it would be a perfect pressie for any warplane enthusiast! I would add that it's not really a toy though and needs careful handling.

4M Kidz Labs Kitchen Science
4M Kidz Labs Kitchen Science
Offered by Fun Learning
Price: 11.85

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 22 April 2014
This review is from: 4M Kidz Labs Kitchen Science (Toy)
Overpriced rubbish. Very disappointed with this kit..... if you do buy it beware that for the volcano it says use baking powder - it means bicarbonate of soda (two very different ingredients) !

Walk the Line (Two Disc Set) [DVD]
Walk the Line (Two Disc Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joaquin Phoenix
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 4.50

3.0 out of 5 stars What happened to poor Vivian....., 27 Feb 2013
Firstly it is a fantastic film - great acting, great story and for that it does deserve 5 stars. However I gave it 3 because I want to stand up for poor Vivian. Apart from being portrayed as a control freak who drove Cash away and wasn't there for him in his darkest hours.... she was overlooked entirely. Hardly the story of Cash's life then..... Vivian was his first love and was married to him for 14 years bearing 4 children. She loved him way before he was the rich and famous "Man in Black"! It is Vivian that the song Walk the Line was written for.

Some important facts have definitely been swept under the carpet - that June Carter was not quite the innocent goody two shoes she was made out to be in this film, for one,.... not even a mention that June herself was no stranger to drugs and that she indeed pursued Cash !

Sadly they have all three now passed away so this is not a time to stand in judgement on anyone. However, I do feel sorry that Vivian was cast aside and treated as though she didn't exist. It may have something to do with the fact that Cash and Carter's only son had a part in the making of the film.

I do recommend this film (Joaquin Phoenix and Reece Witherspoon are both amazing) as it is great and I did love it but just spare a thought for Vivian, whose only crime was being a devoted wife and mother. And who, through no fault of her own, found her life torn apart by drugs, loose women and a husband addicted to a show business lifestyle (which, don't forget, at that time was a relatively new phenomenom).

John Adams Chocolate Lolly Maker
John Adams Chocolate Lolly Maker
Price: 16.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great....., 15 Jan 2013
I feel this is overpriced for what you get...
- 4 rubber molds/ plus plastic mold holders
- a ridiculous bottle that you fill with hot water ie. to melt the chocolate (which incidently is not supplied) - I had to keep giving it a blast in the microwave (perhaps a health hazard but was only for 10 to 20 seconds),
- a stand that is supposed to wrap the lollies - very fiddly and it's easier just to hold it while you twist the wrapper on. Either way the child will need help anyway.

Just a lot of nothing and not a scrap of chocolate supplied - luckily it was Christmas and we had a houseful of the stuff.

Having said all this my little girl loved it, it was her favourite present. therefore what do I know! Hence I still gave it 4 stars as afterall it is designed for children and not old cynics like me.

VTech Switch & Go Dinos: Lex the T-Rex
VTech Switch & Go Dinos: Lex the T-Rex
Price: 14.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing since sliced bread apparently...., 30 Dec 2012
I ordered this for a xmas pressie for my almost 4 year old son back in October as it was on offer and I just thought it would be a useful stocking filler. When it arrived I thought it looked a bit babyish.... how wrong I was. Both he and his 7 year old sister love it. It has been the most played with and fought over toy this Christmas. My daughter has asked for one for her birthday at the end of Jan. What more can I say.... a robust, no nonsense, non messy toy for a 10 - bring it on (perhaps I should keep quiet though just in case vtech put the price up and Amazon add the tax on???)!

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (DVD + Digital Copy)
Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (DVD + Digital Copy)
Dvd ~ Jason Lee
Offered by FLASH
Price: 7.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great...., 7 Jun 2012
Passable for kids AM cinema but that's about it. Was hard to endure so I had a sneaky nap half way through - need I say more!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2013 8:46 PM GMT

TravelJohn Disposable Urinal - 3-Pack
TravelJohn Disposable Urinal - 3-Pack
Price: 4.79

1.0 out of 5 stars YUCK! A PRODUCT FOR PEOPLE WITH LAZY-I-TUS!, 31 May 2012
The only people who should be using a product like this are young children, the elderly or people with bladder problems.

It's not ok to say "oh I don't have to use disgusting public toilets anymore" or "I didn't have to leave the tent in the night" or even worse "the car"!!! IF THAT'S THE CASE THEN DONT GO CAMPING OR TO PUBLIC PLACES! Why not just go the whole hog and wear a nappy?!

I have had four children and therefore do not have a particularly strong pelvic floor - BUT still manage to go camping, shopping, festivals and get stuck in traffic jams - without resorting to a product that is purely for lazy people (and I would imagine is totally "un-green")!
DO NOT BUY!
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2013 4:00 PM BST

Marvin's Magic Drawing Board
Marvin's Magic Drawing Board
Offered by Ledbury Games
Price: 14.32

1.0 out of 5 stars OVERPRICED RUBBISH, 17 Mar 2012
This review is from: Marvin's Magic Drawing Board (Toy)
If you see this being demonstrated as I did then it looks amazing BUT it is a con! Imagine a piece of coloured card covered in thick black paint and then sealed with very strong clingfilm. That's it! It is very hard to draw a picture on and even harder, especially for a child, to re-spread the paint stuff - in short very frustrated children and a product left on the shelf gathering dust. Nothing very "magical" about that!

DON'T BUY!

Oh and just one other thing - I bought mine in Hamleys and guess what.... they claim you cannot buy this nonsense anywhere but their overpriced and run down store - perhaps that's where the "magical fantasy" part comes in? Funny then that it is for sale on Amazon and a host of other places - now that is "magic" ?!

The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree)
The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree)
by Enid Blyton
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars How Funny, 8 Mar 2012
I have just ordered this book which I have never read but have read lots of other Enid Blyton as a child and based on 90 odd good reviews I am sure I will not be disappointed.
But this is what made me laugh when I read that they have changed the names of some of characters - which I kind of understand might be a little annoying if you had read it as a child many years ago - but come on it is rather funny - Dick and Fannie (I ask you?).... even I at age 40(ish) wouldn't be able to keep a straight face whilst reading out loud to my child if those names were left in!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3