Profile for mapron > Reviews

Content by mapron

mapron "mapron" (UK Midlands)

The Motorcaravan Manual: Choosing, Using and Maintaining Your Motorcaravan
The Motorcaravan Manual: Choosing, Using and Maintaining Your Motorcaravan
by John Wickersham
Edition: Board book

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the same as a 'Haynes' type manual., 21 May 2016
OK as an overview but I hoped for more detailed information on owner maintenance and upgrades. It's not what I would call a 'manual'.

Cherub Guitar Tone Generator Keyring
Cherub Guitar Tone Generator Keyring
Offered by trevor-davies-music

5.0 out of 5 stars Better that a digital tuner if there is no background noise., 21 May 2016
I've been using these tuners for years with my fiddle and mandolin. I prefer tuning 'by ear' and find it easier and more accurate than a digital tuner which I only use if there is background noise. My first one lasted about three years before the on-off switch failed. Battery life is good but you need a small cross-head screwdriver to change the battery.

Roberts DAB / FM Digital Solar Radio - Black
Roberts DAB / FM Digital Solar Radio - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good little radio, 17 Aug. 2015
A very good little radio. Good reception, even in some remote locations. Sound quality is good for its size, but don't expect Hi-Fi. The solar charger appears to work. When we were camping the batteries ran down but we were able to get up and running again after an hour in the sun. I didn't give 5 stars because it is a bit pricey, but I'm happy with the quality and would recommend it. We keep it in our motorhome. but I would be happy to have one in the kitchen.

Archer Professional 4/4 Size ABS Violin Case
Archer Professional 4/4 Size ABS Violin Case

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better., 22 Dec. 2013
This case is quite compact and certainly looks stylish. The plastic material looks good but is not strong enough to withstand a hard impact, it is not a flight case. My biggest issue is with the bow holders which were not able to take a full size bow without modification. I added spacers to the fittings but this shouldn't be necessary. The lining looks ok but there is not much padding.
I would advise potential purchasers to check the fitting of their violin and especially bows if possible before buying.

Antony Worrall Thompson Travel Chef Portable Barbecue By Slemcka
Antony Worrall Thompson Travel Chef Portable Barbecue By Slemcka

3.0 out of 5 stars Good design but flimsy construction., 16 Dec. 2013
I bought this as a portable bbq for our camper. The design is good, with vents, legs , handle etc, but the build quality is poor.

Made at Home: Curing & Smoking
Made at Home: Curing & Smoking
by Dick Strawbridge

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for info on curing - not much on hot smoking., 16 Dec. 2013
A good book with useful information. In my case I am mostly interested in hot smoking with a 'barbecue' style smoker. This book is mostly about cold smoking and curing techniques.

Stagg 14707 Foldable Amplifier Monitor Floor Stand
Stagg 14707 Foldable Amplifier Monitor Floor Stand
Offered by Rockem Music

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but small., 16 Dec. 2013
Strong and well made in steel, the frame supports a small amp at a good angle. In my case the back frame got in the way of the power supply so check size, otherwise a good strong product.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/1000D: Focal Digital Camera Guides
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/1000D: Focal Digital Camera Guides
by Christopher Grey

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, lots of errors., 30 July 2012
I bought this in the hope that it would help me to make the most of the many features of my new camera, as a supplement to the user manual. Unfortunately it didn't really do this. A lot of the book is about general photo technique which is not what I need. When it becomes specific about the camera it has errors, eg. on p.33 the illustration showing the Portrait mode setting is actually Program AE. I get the impression that the book has not been proof read properly. The paper is poor quality which means that some of the illustrations are not clear enough to show what they are supposed to.
I'm now looking for another guide for my camera.

Canon PowerShot Digital Field Guide
Canon PowerShot Digital Field Guide
by Michael Guncheon

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing powershot guide, 26 Feb. 2011
This book is a general guide to digital photography for the beginner to intermediate level photographer. I was hoping for advice on how to make best use of the features on my Powershot G6 in a more 'user friendly' way than the manual but I was disappointed. There are dozens of different 'Powershot' models in different series, with different features so this book ends up as a general guide to digital photography in an attempt to cover them all.

The Hills of Isle Au Haut
The Hills of Isle Au Haut

5.0 out of 5 stars Hills of Isle Au Haut, 27 Aug. 2009
An excellent song from Gordon Bok which has stood the test of time. You can almost smell the salt sea air. His singing lies somewhere between Stan Rogers and Cyril Tawney. I first heard this song sung by a friend then tracked down the original and bought it (and the songbook). More info on Gordon Bok website.