Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (London)

Plants vs. Zombies (WiFi Download Only)
Plants vs. Zombies (WiFi Download Only)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun and lots of levels, 4 Sept. 2012
A fun game that gets quite challenging later on. It works perfectly on my Galaxy S III, so not sure what the problem might be for others.

Nespresso by Krups XN300640 Pixie Coffee Machine - Electric Red
Nespresso by Krups XN300640 Pixie Coffee Machine - Electric Red

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy to use, fast machine with great results., 27 Jun. 2012
Firstly I admit it, on most occasions I'm a tea drinker - I've never really been a big coffee drinker as I've never found any variety I really like and previous machines I've used such as a Bosch Tassimo never really produced anything of merit.

I didn't fancy all of the efforts the more expensive specialist machines seem to involve, plus I'm easily swayed by some nice packaging and reviews from my friends so I splashed out £105 on the Krups Nespresso Pixie - in a dashing shade of red - with an extra bonus at the time of £40 cash back to spend in the Nespresso Club. Not a bad deal.

Unusually for an Amazon delivery, this Nespresso didn't arrive in a generic brown box, it arrived in its retail box with my delivery note attached to the side. The box was fairly small but was well packaged. Easy to open, easy to delve into, the Pixie was wrapped carefully and came with a binder of sorts, with a help guide, quick reference menu for the various coffee types, an instruction manual, and quite conveniently a sample package containing one of each of the sixteen `Grand Cru'.

The machine was very straightforward to set up, a simple case of unpack the machine and place it on the kitchen counter, slot the perspex spent coffee pod container into the drip tray, then slide this into the main body of the Pixie. I filled up the water container that sits on the back of the unit - which takes 0.7 litres which isn't masses - but does offer enough for a few cups of coffee, especially if you're fond of espresso! A few quick cycles of the machine washed everything through and I was then ready to test the machine in earnest.

Deciding what coffee you want is the first step that's actually difficult. Do I want a lungo (big), or an espresso (one quick swig and you're done) or a ristretto (smaller than an espresso, a few sips and you're finished). If I want the lungo, do I then want milk? Decisions decisions!

When you've settled on the style of coffee you're in the mood to partake in, then the next choice is what strength do you want? The various pods are measured in strength from 2 to 10, and in the guide book each has a quick description of the type of taste you can expect and a guide on how it should be consumed (i.e some pods are suitable for espresso or cappuccino, or some as lungo but not cappuccino, and some suitable in any format!)

You can always just pick your favourite colour once you've got things sussed out, but that can lead to some surprises initially until you know which colours you enjoy! Making a coffee is as easy as popping your cup under the spout, lifting the arm to let you drop the pod into the slot, then lowering the arm which slots the pod into place. Once you're set you either hit the espresso or the lungo button and wait for the few seconds it takes to pour. (Running through this process first without a pod in place is a good idea as it warms up your cup - but it's up to you if you don't mind the cooler coffee a cold cup might cause). Once the coffee has finished pouring and the machine cuts back into it's standby mode, you just lift the arm back up which causes the pod to drop through into the perspex box below. This little box holds around ten pods, but it's a good idea to keep an eye on the drip tray as this can often fill up after 4 - 5 uses I've found.

Despite not being a huge coffee drinker I'm glad that I've bought into the Nespresso way of life, it offers a wide selection of types of coffee across different strengths and tastes and does so in a stylish and pleasing way.

The only main issue I have is replacement coffee, the only way to get this is via the Nespresso online store (or the few and far Nespresso high street shops which are mainly in central London), which while quick and simple to order from does mean you need to plan ahead slightly, and also means any chance of shopping around for cheaper prices is very limited.

Beyond your initial taster pack of 16 pods, each individual one costs roughly £0.30, or you can buy a welcome pack on your first order of 150 or 250 pods, and choose a free accessory - I chose the wooden display case which sits alongside the Pixie and allows for even easier picking each morning. There's a £15 minimum order from the store, but they do offer free recycling bags for the aluminium pods and free pick up on your next order.

The literature that comes with the machine, and the further details you get when you place your first order again welcomes you into the Nespresso way of life. Coffee is talked about much like fine wines, with mentions of fruity tones, bitterness, satiny qualities and more. There's even a guide for how to get the most out of each cup, from the aroma to the texture and inevitably the taste.

Overall I'd really recommend this unit, it's small, stylish and fairly quiet in use. From being switched off to being ready to use takes mere moments, probably less than 30 seconds, and if it's already in standby less then 10 seconds from dropping the pod in to seeing the coffee pour. The various pods taste quite different and you're sure to gain a group of favourites which ongoing are easy to order individually.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2015 2:05 AM GMT

Philips Sonicare HX6952/71 FlexCare Rechargeable Toothbrush 2-Pack with Soft Travel Case, Travel Charger and UV Sanitiser

3.0 out of 5 stars Teeth feeling extra clean but one slight problem, 14 Aug. 2010
Very pleased with this set, a good price compared to instore pricing. I've had one issue with mine though that I'm wondering if anyone else has had, the grey text printed on the toothbrush heads has completely worn off mine during brushing within the week I've been using them. I could literally rub my finger over it and see it smudging. Is this due to the UV light damaging the 'ink' on the brushes?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2011 11:59 PM BST

ByteStor 8GB USB  High Speed "Dataferry" Flash Drive
ByteStor 8GB USB High Speed "Dataferry" Flash Drive

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Workmanship, 19 Jan. 2009
I was in need of a USB stick so decided to plump down my money for this ByteStor version. I'd read the reviews mentioning the cheap feel which didn't concern me too much, but mine arrived and yes it does have a very poor fit and finish and more importantly the USB connector itself was bent meaning the cap doesn't fit properly.

I've decided to send this one back and get myself one of the SanDisk models SanDisk Cruzer Micro 8GB U3 Readyboost Flash Drive as they're very similar prices and have a better brand behind them..and fingers crossed will be in a better condition on delivery!