Profile for Jonathan Seven > Reviews

Jonathan Seven

Ozone Boson Portable Cloth Gaming Mousepad
Ozone Boson Portable Cloth Gaming Mousepad

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 29 April 2015
I'm blown away! I bought it because the travel mouse I bought to use with my MacBook was useless without a mat! It works better on this mat than it does on my 'proper' mouse mat at home! Thin, light, completely rollable/foldable, I was sceptical but this is a brilliant product. Can't recommend it highly enough, and yes, I'm thinking of throwing my 'real' mat away and replacing with one of these.

SMD4U Foam Earbuds Eartips For Etymotic Er4 Er6I Hf Mc 2 3 5 Micropro Ety8 4S 4B Er38
Offered by Gadget Gala

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 23 Mar. 2015
Slightly mixed feelings here. On the one hand, they are incredibly comfortable. I've been using in-ear headphones for 10 years or more, and these are by far the most comfortable I've ever worn. They are as close as I ever expect to get to forgetting I'm wearing them. The negative is that they are a little smaller than I would have liked. I wear them for exercising; fined for using weights in the gym, but when I'm running I find myself repositioning them maybe three or four times during an hour. As far as I know, I don't have a particularly big ears…! It's not going to stop me using them until I find something as comfortable that's slightly bigger, but it does detract slightly, hence the four stars instead of five.

Gettysburg [Blu-ray] [US Import]
Gettysburg [Blu-ray] [US Import]
Offered by Fulfillment Express

1.0 out of 5 stars The perfect turkey..., 8 Jun. 2014
Unbelievably sluggish, wooden acting, turgid, cliched dialogue; this is the perfect turkey. Writer/director Ronald Maxwell has got himself completely bogged down in his reverence for his subject, it's historical significance and the historical figures who took part. The result is a desperately slow moving dramatised documentary populated largely by sanitised robots speaking what sounds like mechanically generated oratory. This should never have made it to general release - it doesn't begin to compare with (say) Ken Burns' The Civil War series as documentary, or (for example) Schindler's List or even Dances With Wolves as historical drama. Without question one of the most disappointing movies I have ever seen.

Searching For Schindler
Searching For Schindler

5.0 out of 5 stars A great companion to the novel, 30 Jun. 2013
I'm surprised by some of the nit-picking, negative reviews of this book. In itself, it isn't a literary masterpiece; but it doesn't pretend to be. It's a writer's diary; the story of the writing of the book, and the making of the film. I guess the best way to think about it would be as the written equivalent of those 'special bonus features' that accompany so many movies on DVD, and on those terms it's a great read. Although written as a single narrative, I think of it in four sections: Thomas Keneally's 'finding' the story, researching and writing the book, the making of the film, and it's release and aftermath. As someone who loved the book and regards the film as one of THE movie masterpieces, I enjoyed it all. I found the sections on Keneally's research, and particularly the stories of his interviews with the survivors, very moving and they added to my appreciation and understanding of the Schindler story. At the heart of this book is Poldek Pfefferberg, and I'm also left touched by Poldek's stand to have the story of the man who saved his life told.

Complete Mathematics: Teach Yourself
Complete Mathematics: Teach Yourself
by Trevor Johnson And Hugh Neill

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviews of the 'kindle' version, 1 April 2013
I just wanted to add a comment to balance some of the negative reviews of the kindle version.
A number of people have commented that the in the kindle version formulae and fractions are too small, and that text re-sizing doesn't work. I'm working my way through it on my ipad, and I'm having no trouble at all. Yes, the formulae are smaller than the main text (as in most maths text books). Yes, as someone in their mid-50s with mid-50s eyesight I'd have preferred it a font-size or two larger (but that's true of a lot of things theses days!). But on ipad at least, it's perfectly readable. And incidentally, the diagrams, worked examples, and sets of questions are all embedded in the text as 'pictures' so a double-click blows them up to full screen size (with some loss of resolution).
I can't comment on how this ebook works on a kindle device, but the kindle ebook is completely readable and usable on ipad. Don't be put-off!
And yes, the book itself really is as good as everyone says. I'm a 55 year old with a grade 4 maths 'O' level who always wanted to go further - this is proving a great place to start!

A Newbies Guide to Switching to Mac: A Windows Users Guide to Using a Their First Mac Computer

2.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for... almost!, 15 Mar. 2012
Oh dear! Bought the Kindle version, and as I started reading it, I thought it was just what I was after; clear, well-explained, non-technical... Then I decided to look something up, and found there was no index and no list of contents! Really useful in a reference book!