Profile for dandawsinho > Reviews

dandawsinho

Nonexistent Persons: A Larry Quinn Mystery
Nonexistent Persons: A Larry Quinn Mystery

4.0 out of 5 stars Like a raging, 23 Sep 2014
Like a raging, base, deeply vulgar version of D.B.C. Pierre after a several day-long binge on whisky and Class A drugs.
I genuinely found it hard to stop reading, so totally was I sucked into Boyle's disturbing, twisted, sordid world.

God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
by Christopher Hitchens

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it now!, 19 July 2013
Eye-opening, funny, and engaging.
I am a huge Dawkins fan, but Hitchens adds another dimension...that of humour.
Admittedly, I do feel he spends some time knocking down straw men in his arguments - but when he does get stuck in to the arguments that matter, he is devastatingly good.

Taxidermia [2007] [DVD]
Taxidermia [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Csaba Czene

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and grotesque, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Taxidermia [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
It attempts to be gruesome...and succeeds - but does it so beautifully that it's an amazing thing to behold. Making a gob of spunk turn into the starry night sky was a highlight.

Tascam DR-07MKII Digital Voice Recorder
Tascam DR-07MKII Digital Voice Recorder
Offered by CBC SALES UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great delivery, 19 July 2013
Turned up almost before I'd ordered it.
As for the kit itself...the sound quality's alright, but it is really sensitive to movement.

Lenny Boyle's Darts Almanac
Lenny Boyle's Darts Almanac

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable healing properties, 6 Feb 2013
I had little need of Boyle's comprehensive knowledge of the sport of darts, nor any use for his witty writing and humour, but this nonetheless proved to be a very worthy purchase.
Simply by holding this piece of writing up against my body, I was not only relieved of a troublesome case of gout that had afflicted me for many months, but I was also overcome with a feeling of intense satisfaction... bordering (I am not ashamed to say) on the ecstatic.
Furthermore, it fixed the serious damp problem I have on the walls of my drawing room, and resurrected my beloved cat from the grave.

W.G. Grace Ate My Pedalo: A Curious Cricket Compendium
W.G. Grace Ate My Pedalo: A Curious Cricket Compendium
by Beach

5.0 out of 5 stars Moustache-twiddlingly excellent, 12 July 2012
The monacle did drop from my eye in delight as I perused this collection of fascinating, sordid, and downright discombobulating stories on the gentleman's game.

Genuinely... it is funny. A bit "in", so you need to know your cricket to get it - but if you do, it's brilliant.

Battle For Seattle
Battle For Seattle

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 25 Nov 2011
This review is from: Battle For Seattle (Audio CD)
Absolutely blinding album. Saw him on Jools Holland and loved Lithium, but there are plenty more songs which'll blow your mind.
Chilled music, but dark lyrics... I didn't know whether to skin up or start cutting myself.

Hard-Boiled Wonderland And The End Of The World
Hard-Boiled Wonderland And The End Of The World
by Haruki Murakami

5.0 out of 5 stars breathtakingly beautiful, 30 Sep 2011
A book about unicorns and shadows, set in the real world and the imaginary, that is so beautiful it makes my heart ache.

I can't tell you how much this book affected me... and I would urge anyone to read it.

I love Murakami, and for me, this is his best work.