Profile for MR > Reviews

Content by MR

MR "The Catalyst" (Oxford, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Panasonic HC-V750EB-K Full HD Camcorder - Black (24MP, 50x Intelligent Zoom, Wi-Fi, NFC) (New for 2014)
Offered by Let's GO digital

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect camera apart from the (solved) issue with the external mic buzz, 28 Feb. 2015
This is a really good camera for the price - excellent quality and packed with so many features, and I was really surprised at just how small and light it was when it first arrived. It is best held with the strap tight over the back of the right hand and the left hand holding the extended screen - this gives you thumb and finger control for recording and zooming, and the left hand for adjusting settings via the touch screen.
And I love the ability to have displayed a level indicator so you can see if you are filming off-level after a few beers.
And the izoom of 50x is awesome and just so clear, or you can stick to 20x optical.
One of the main reasons I bought this was to connect an external microphone so I could record interviews and the like, with a wireless or lapel mic. But I soon noticed that using an external mic caused a loud buzz on the recording. I spend ages tracing the cause of this, and then eventually discovered that if you power the camera with the provided 3-pin adaptor and you use an external mic - you get the buzz. So the solution is simple - record using the battery or plug the power lead into the USB port of a PC - and you get perfect sound.
It's odd that when you record with an external mic you get a warning message saying that this will "partially obstruct image in wide zoom" - whatever that means! How can an mic plugged into the 3.5m jack socket on the side have anything to do with the image?
My only other gripe is the lack of on-screen information. There are loads of icons to touch and many things to change, but you have to have read the manual and have a degree in photography to understand them. One of the icons reports "cannont set while in manual mode" but I've no idea what it does! I'm a bloke - I don't read manuals! But I love the abilities to adjust things like white balance on the fly and the iris level (to make things lighter or darker) just by touching the screen.

So all-in-all this is a great camera, and when used with a class 10 64gb card (and you must buy a fast one) it performs perfectly and brilliantly.
Now where did I put that manual....

The Snow People: An Anthology
The Snow People: An Anthology

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing true story of an amazing man, 27 Jan. 2015
This is the life story (so far !) of an amazing man.
His humble and tough upbringing in the UK was enhanced by his 'snow people' - something that continues throughout.
Stuart's strong spirit and belief in what he was being shown, especially after a very personal tragedy, led him to homelessness in London, but with a determination to achieve his goal - to produce the symphony that he was compelled to produce.
He was guided to produce it and to do some remarkable work in Zambia.
And much more.
This is an amazing true story and one that is still evolving, and one that I'm sure will be put into film soon.

Integral UltimaPro 64GB Class 10 SDXC Memory Card
Integral UltimaPro 64GB Class 10 SDXC Memory Card

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a fast card, 20 Jan. 2015
I tested this card with H2testw - like I do with all SD cards I buy - for it's actual write speed, as there are a lot of fakes on the market that just don't do the 'class' or writing required for high def work like HD video capture.
This has the lowest speed rating of all my 'class 10' cards - and approximately half the speed of another I bought of EBAY for a lot less !
So buyer beware.
I won't be using it in my video camera.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2015 12:48 PM GMT

Brother HL3150CDW A4 Colour Laser Wireless Printer
Brother HL3150CDW A4 Colour Laser Wireless Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent colour laser (although it's LED !), 7 Jan. 2015
I have a couple of Canon inkjets and another Brother b&w laser, and I wanted a colour laser to produce professional printouts fast - and this printer does the job perfectly. I was able to easily connect it to my wifi so it can be shared by many users, and it prints fast and in excellent quality. My only grip is the small paper tray but that's no big deal unless you were printing huge volumes.
So I can't fault it - and the price was very good indeed.
I'm still using the supplied cartridges and apparetly the fact that it uses LED instead of laser technology, it will use less toner and print better quality and last longer.

Samsung Galaxy S4 mini i9195 Sim Free Smartphone - White
Samsung Galaxy S4 mini i9195 Sim Free Smartphone - White
Offered by Discount-Select

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 7 Jan. 2015
Absolutely love this phone - it's thin and light, yet powerful - I simply can't fault it

Tassimo Pod Holder | Holds 64 Pods on a ROTATING Base | Holds ALL Tassimo T-Discs on ALL LEVELS | FREE Built in Shaker | Unbeatable Quality Guaranteed Babavoom® T14
Offered by Babavoom

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but could be better, 7 Jan. 2015
Like it - but it's not perfect.
I love the fact that you can put 8 different types in one unit, and it rotates, but the gap at the bottom of each stack is a little too big - so when you pull out a tab from the bottom it often pulls out two. This is hardly life-threatening but it's annoying. i guess there must be tabs that are deeper than the others but I don't use any of them - shame it could not be flexible somehow.

Transcend Suction Mount for DrivePro Car Video Recorders
Transcend Suction Mount for DrivePro Car Video Recorders

5.0 out of 5 stars ... smallest suction mount I've ever used - and it's great - good quality and stable, 17 Nov. 2014
Note that this also fits the Drivepro 100 (which I bought it for)
The picture makes it look quite large - but it is the smallest suction mount I've ever used - and it's great - good quality and stable, with multiple adjustments.

Transcend DrivePro 100 16 GB Car Video Recorder with Adhesive Mount
Transcend DrivePro 100 16 GB Car Video Recorder with Adhesive Mount

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but could be better, 17 Nov. 2014
I bought the 100 instead of the 200 because the 100 has a larger aperture and I didn't want the wifi facility (and the 100 is the later model) - and I rather like the lense at the top as opposed to in the middle as I need to mount mine at the bottom of the windscreen instead of the expected top.
The camera comes with an adhesive windscreen mount (whoops - I missed that in the description) and I immediately came back to Amazon and ordered the suction mount (that fits both the 200 and the 100) so I can remove it and reposition it easily. (Other retailers are selling this with the suction mount for about the same money).

The camera comes with a mini memory card and has a built-in battery (so the problems of the 200 losing it's date and time don't feature on the 100), so it is ready to go, and the menu is really easy to follow.
I like that one of the 4 front buttons controls the audio - so I can turn it on and off easily.
One annoying feature is that, unlike two other and much cheaper dashcams I bought, it doesn't detect a reduction in power when I turn the ignition off - so I have to constantly plug/unplug. The technology does exist to auto-off when the ignition is turned off and power remains to the power socket - so I would expect it on this more expensive camera.
The video quality is OK - but there is no white balance facility so all the playbacks are rather blue and I can't change that.
The case is quality and robust and overall it is smaller than I expected.

But incredibly it doesn't come with a USB cable! Just how much would that cost to include? All (cheaper) previous cameras do.
Thankfully I have plenty so it wasn't a problem connecting to the PC.

So it's an OK camera - it does the job, but it could be so much better with a few minor changes.

UPDATE.....
One of the negative comments I made above was the fact that it didn't detect me turning the ignition off, so I had to manually do so each time. However - I've now found a way around this, purely by accident - and maybe the manufacturers need to take note !!!!
I also have a GPS unit (why doesn't someone put a camera into a TomTom/Garmin GPS unit?) so I bought a splitter for the 12v socket. With both the camera and the GPS plugged into the splitter (and with the GPS unit NOT connected) the camera now detects me turning off and on the ignition. Perfect. So I simply keep them both plugged in. I guess the GPS plug must have a light or something in it that reduces the voltage by just enough to tell the camera to turn off.
Also - they have released a firmware update and this has made the video quality much better - so it now has 5 stars from me.
So - get a splitter and plug in a second 12v adaptor.

Bosch BCH625KTGB Athlet Cordless Upright Vacuum Cleaner, 0.9 Litre, White
Bosch BCH625KTGB Athlet Cordless Upright Vacuum Cleaner, 0.9 Litre, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great vacuum cleaner, 30 Aug. 2014
Just bought this (from another supplier - sorry Amazon - but your price was not the best) and the first thing that struck me was the apparent lack of documentation - until someone here pointed out that the English instructions are actually in two separate places - on page 3 and then page 33 in the manual! Most odd.
Read the stuff on page 33 before using the cleaner.

And don't complete the single sided registration card (or the postal service will see all your personal details) or use the 0844 number to register - either register online or use their Freephone number to do the same (0800 597 8470) - oh and good luck finding the required model number and the serial number (not mentioned on the label inside the product). I think the model number is labelled 'E.N.' and the serial number is labelled 'FD'.
Bit disappointed that the label also shows that it was make in 'PRC' - that's the Peoples Republic of China - what happened to good old German engineering?

But now to the cleaner itself.
All I can say is that it is superb. I have dogs and cats and it picks up more than my mains-powered Dyson Animal.
It is very quiet (the cats actually came towards it when I was using it) and very light (less than half the weight of the Dyson) so great for stairs and it has 3 power settings that are easily selected by the simple slider on the handle (no need to keep a trigger down).

Four things put this above the other one I thought of buying - the Dyson Animal cordless..
1. The slider switch on the handle (the Dyson requires a trigger to be held)
2. The light weight
3. The price
4. The mains socket charging (the Dyson has an ugly fixed docking station on the wall)

So I can't fault the machine - it is light and powerful and a pleasure to use - and it comes with a two year guarantee. I just hope that the 'PRC' doesn't mean it will fall apart in five days - watch this space.....!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2014 9:45 AM GMT

The Logo Board Game
The Logo Board Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Logo Board Game (Toy)
Terrific fun - a great game that will have you hooked

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6