Profile for Alan > Reviews

Hobby Components USB 24M 8CH 24MHz Logic Analyser, 1.1.16
Offered by Hobby Components Ltd
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 14 Feb 2014
I found this product to be very useful when debugging some 3V SPI communications which were giving me grief.
It should be noted that this tool is somewhat a "knock off", in that (to my knowledge) it goes out of its way to trick a competitor's (Saleae) software product that it is their device. Saleae's software is very nice to use, and seemingly works seamlessly with this device.
Presumably Saleae's hardware is better quality but its price puts it out of the range of most hobbyists. I have had no problems using this device to decode SPI, I2C and to analyse the timings of various signals.

Google Nexus 4 Case Nexus 4 Black PU Leather Flip Cover
Google Nexus 4 Case Nexus 4 Black PU Leather Flip Cover
Offered by PJA Distribution Ltd
Price: 2.49

4.0 out of 5 stars OK case for a good price, 2 Feb 2013
For ~5 this is a pretty good case. It fits the phone well - though some of the side plastic can creak somewhat if squeezed. Most of the ports have slots for easy access, unfortunately the USB port at the bottom does not however, so you have to charge it with the case open. I guess this is to stop dust / pocket lint getting caught in the micro USB port.
When I first got the case it had a rather strong plasticy/leathery smell but after about 1-2 weeks this has lessened. It also came with a screen protector and a cleaning cloth. I haven't used the screen protector but the cloth is a nice touch though I can't say I use it often. Cleaning a touch phone screen almost seems like a pointless exercise.

Overall I am happy with this case. It seems to provide more than adequate protection for the screen when closed and hopefully should help protect the phone against small drops / bumps.

Tiger sticky index highlighter tabs
Tiger sticky index highlighter tabs
Offered by FiveBoys Stationery Ltd
Price: 0.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 9 Dec 2012
Picked up a few packs of these as they are cheaper than the alternatives that I could see, and its coming up to exam time. Only negative about the product is that you can't write on them (they are a plastic film). That is in the product description though, and I only considered it when I received them.

Casio Edifice Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Analogue Display and Silver Stainless Steel Bracelet EF-341D-1AVEF

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Watch (but overpriced @ 250), 9 Dec 2012
This is quite a nice watch, and overall I am happy with my purchase (~60 in black friday). My first thought was it has a bigger face than watches I would normally wear but its not obstructive/uncomfortable noticeable when its on. Its easy enough to read and has smaller dials for 24 hour time (not sure why they bothered with that) day and date if you keep on top of it at the end of the month.
For 112 which it is currently advertised is a reasonable enough price in my opinion but I would still recommend looking around to see if anything else catches your eye. For the 250 (which in black Friday Amazon suggested its normal price was) I certainly wouldn't get this one. The strap for a start feels a little cheap to me (but that could be because I am used to heavier watches). Also some of the other watches in my household, which certainly didn't cost that much more than I got this one (~60) come with some useful features e.g. solar/kinetic charging or radio updating and don't look any worse.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Black
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Black
Price: 59.00

1.0 out of 5 stars DefectiveByDesign, 10 Nov 2012
The Kindle hardware is fairly impressive and reading is enjoyable on the device. However there are some issues with the e-book content which you purchase from Amazon which you should be aware of.
E-Books are only slightly cheaper in most circumstances than print books which you can rationalise as they don't need the same manufacturing costs and shipping costs which a paper book requires.
However you do not own the ebooks that you purchase from Amazon you simply license their use, which for the money you pay is not acceptable, and a term of this license is Amazon can wipe books from your device as they see fit, and this has been reported by some people. To pay a price which is not too dissimilar from the print version, and not legally own the book is absurd.
There is an article online by Richard Stallman on "The Danger of E-Books" which raises some key points which may affect whether you want to buy a Kindle or not.

This post was inspired by the "Defective by Design" website.

D-Link USB 2.0 7 Ports DUB-H7 Hub
D-Link USB 2.0 7 Ports DUB-H7 Hub
Offered by Base
Price: 12.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Comes with 2 pin plug, 3 Jan 2012
Unfortunately the other reviews were made after I purchased this device. Comes with a 2 pin plug and if I didn't have an adapter handy it would have been returned straight away.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2012 8:49 PM BST

Samsung Micro USB Mains Charger
Samsung Micro USB Mains Charger
Offered by eZee Trade
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, but inaccurate description. Output specs included, 22 Oct 2011
The charger appears to work fine with my phone, however don't be expecting an official Samsung charger. The sellers description is inaccurate.
Also in case anyone is wanting the specs as marked on the device itself:
Input: 100-240V ~50/60Hz 100mA
Output: 5.2V DC = 500mA, Max 650mA

Casio FX-991ES  Calculator
Casio FX-991ES Calculator
Offered by 9to5 Supplies (VAT receipt supplied)
Price: 20.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 27 Feb 2011
This is an excellent calculator for the price. It offers great value for money as it has a wide range of options. I would have preferred it if there were more generic modes e.g. as opposed to having a mode for complex numbers and a separate mode for general computation however that is the only real fault I can find, but you get used to skipping through the menus soon enough. Recommended for A levels to uni work.

BoxWave mini Capacitive Stylus for Apple iPad, iPad 2, and Amazon Kindle Fire (Jet Black)
Offered by BoxWave Corporation
Price: 5.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey, 27 Feb 2011
Useful when you need more accuracy than what you can get from your finger, but it is a bit expensive.

Absolute Beginner's Guide to C (Other Sams)
Absolute Beginner's Guide to C (Other Sams)
by Greg Perry
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A very will written book, 27 Feb 2011
This book was the first C programming book I read and I don't regret it. As the title suggests the book is worded more towards someone after a non serious guide to C, and with absolutely no programming background. So if you are considering learning C and you already have experience in a language I would consider avoiding this book, as a lot of it may be useless to you.

Page: 1 | 2