ARRAY(0xb3d0ef3c)

Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
Price: 15.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor code formatting in the Kindle version, 6 Sep 2010
Code blocks in the Kindle version of this book are rendered in a variable-width font, which detracts from their readability. Since the code samples are a very important part of the book, I can't award this a high rating if they are so difficult to read. Code should always be in a fixed-width font.

Also, the occurrence of grammar errors and odd typos is frequent enough to be distracting and irritating. At one point, "startlingly" is written "star-tlingly". Errors that stick out like a sore thumb indicate that this was not proof-read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2012 11:58 AM BST

Fly Papers (pack of 8) by RENTOKIL
Fly Papers (pack of 8) by RENTOKIL
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK
Price: 2.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Flies do get stuck to it, 25 Aug 2010
This review is from: Fly Papers (pack of 8) by RENTOKIL
Yes, they are completely passive and flies aren't particularly attracted to them at all. But if you are a bit creative in their placement and use, they will claim a few victims easily. I have had success with hanging mine on the inside of a lamp shade where the flies like to sit in the bright light.

I had a slight fruit fly problem and found that, once you have fully extended the paper out of its canister, the canister provides a place to pour a few drops of stale beer. The fruit flies are really attracted to this and land on the paper above it!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2011 8:26 PM GMT

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Headset - 250 OHM
Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Headset - 250 OHM
Price: 128.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Good headphones, 16 April 2010
I bought these mostly for listening to music, and also because I occasionally record some music, and I suspect that most consumer hi-fi headphones don't cut it for recording, where an accurate sound is more desirable than a 'nice, warm' one. Overall I'm pleased with these, but I have a couple of niggles.

The trebles are almost a little harsh on these 'phones. I find myself tweaking down the top end of the equalizer a bit. Mid ranges are clear and not too coloured.

The bass is deep and accurate, but the amount of bass you will actually hear depends very sensitively on the positioning of the 'phones over your ears. Perhaps it is the bass reflex design that causes this. I find that with the headphones slightly forward, all I hear is trebles, and too far back and the bass becomes overpowering. Constantly worrying about the right position can detract from what is otherwise a very pleasurable listening experience.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound, the software could be better, 26 Mar 2010
I'm very pleased with the sound from this device. Running through my stereo speakers with Dolby signal processing enabled, my music sounds amazing. Since installing this card I have been giving much of my music collection a fresh listen and enjoying some of it it more than I ever did on my old equipment (an Audigy 2).

With headphones, I prefer to have the signal processing off, as the Dolby Headphone modes can distort some sounds too much for my liking. The dedicated headphone amp goes up to 11 and is a fantastic change from the weedy signal that I made do with from my previous sound card. It's great for getting decent volume on tracks that were mastered at quieter levels.

My only gripe is with the bundled software. Switching between the stereo component outputs and the headphone amp requires opening the software, clicking a button to reveal some menus, and then choosing the output option from a drop-down menu. This quickly becomes tedious, and it's ridiculous that there isn't an easier way to to this, such as via the pop-up menu on the system tray icon.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2013 11:46 PM BST

Razer Piranha Gaming Headset 2.1 Stereo Sound
Razer Piranha Gaming Headset 2.1 Stereo Sound
Price: 29.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sound and comfort but poorly designed inline volume/mic control, 24 Mar 2010
The sound from these is impressive for their size and they are comfortable to wear for a few hours. However they are let down by the inline volume control and mic mute button.

There's no indication on the mic mute switch of which position is 'on' and which is 'off'; you simply have to remember, or you will be constantly testing your mic to see if it's on. There is a blue LED inside the inline control, which is simply on all the time -- you have to wonder why it could not have been designed to be on only when the mic is enabled.

The volume control wheel is too easy to move by accident. Just brushing against clothes can suddenly make you lose all the sound from your game. It does have a clip so that you can secure it somewhere safe to avoid this, but wouldn't it have been better to design it more sturdily instead?

Pragmatic Version Control Using Git: 1 (Pragmatic Starter Kit)
Pragmatic Version Control Using Git: 1 (Pragmatic Starter Kit)
by Travis Swicegood
Price: 26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential introduction and reference for Git, 14 Sep 2009
Git is an immensely versatile set of tools which can add so much more to your development process than a centralised SCM like Subversion.

Before I read this book, however, I'd been using Git for about a year and still had not moved very far from the old workflow I'd followed with Subversion.

Reading Pragmatic Version Control Using Git gave me a better understanding of some of the commands I'd already been using, and also of those I hadn't yet used. I've now significantly expanded the repertoire of Git commands in my daily development. For me, Git is no longer just a version control tool, but a power-tool for agile development, experimentation and hacking.

Like many others in the Prag Prog series, the book follows a narrative style based around an example development project, the repository for which is available from GitHub. This didn't slow me down through the bits I already knew, however, since the repository for each individual chapter is available separately.

In the Appendices is also a reference of common Git command usages, so the book's usefulness will continue long after you've finished your first reading.

Canon Digital IXUS 750 Silver Digital Camera [7MP, 3 x Optical Zoom]
Canon Digital IXUS 750 Silver Digital Camera [7MP, 3 x Optical Zoom]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent image quality for a compact point-and-shoot camera, 25 Jun 2006
I was looking for a compact, point-and-shoot camera which was small and durable enough to carry in my pocket, and which gave good picture quality in all lighting conditions. After reading several glowing reviews of the Ixus 750 I couldn't wait to get my hands on one, and I have absolutely no regrets.

I have two main uses for a compact camera: holiday photos, and shots in low lighting conditions. I hate using the flash when indoors, as it tends to lead to unflattering pictures of pasty-white people against dark backgrounds, but even in cameras of above-average quality the alternative is usually noisy, blurred pictures. Not so with the Ixus 750; I was very impressed when I uploaded my first indoor pictures to my computer and studied them in detail to find almost zero noise or graininess, even in dark areas.

Being able to take pictures quickly and easily is very important to me in a compact camera. So I was delighted with the fast startup time and low shutter lag of the Ixus 750.

Build quality and durability are also essential to me, as I tend not to carry my compact camera in a case. The Ixus 750 looks and feels luxurious, but is also more than adequately sturdy. The matte surface of the metal body is resistant to scratches, the "feel" of the buttons is just right, and the cover for the AV and USB ports does not look as if it will drop off at any moment. The large screen has a durable coating so fingerprints can be wiped away without too much fear of scratching it. The size of the camera is such that I can slip it into my jeans pocket and carry it all day without even noticing it is there.

But the most important thing to me, at the end of the day when I upload the images onto my computer, is always going to be the image quality. I was actually dumbstruck when, after trying some macro photography in a well-lit room, I viewed the images at 100% zoom on my screen to find that they were completely pin-sharp.

Is there anything bad about this camera? Well, the tiny optical viewfinder is useless and badly positioned, but you're a moron anyway if you are going to use it instead of the huge, bright screen. If you want a camera which will take your cautious expectations of a point-and-shoot compact at the 200 mark, laugh at them, piss all over them and return them to you in sodden shreds this is the camera for you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2012 12:58 PM BST

Songs For The Deaf
Songs For The Deaf
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 5.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Moments of genius hidden in a thundering rock record, 22 Mar 2006
This review is from: Songs For The Deaf (Audio CD)
On the surface this is a very strong rock record, packed with memorable tracks bearing QOTSA's loud, chugging hallmark sound. The album flows smoothly from one song to the next, helped by short intermissions between tracks by spoof radio DJs. It's hard to find one duff moment on this CD. What makes it truly worthy of all five stars, however, is the moments of genius that stick in the mind after repeated listenings; a sound here, a chord there, that reveal attention to detail and diverse influences that lift the record into a class of its own.
I would recommend this CD to anybody who appreciates unique, engaging rock music.