Profile for Socrates > Reviews

Socrates

The Power Of The Dog
The Power Of The Dog

5.0 out of 5 stars The Power Of The Pen..., 27 Jan. 2016
A drugs war based page turner with a twist at every turn. Never really sure if the goodies are really good or the baddies are all bad and the uncertainty is maintained to the final page. The various organisations and changing alliances are confusing at times (even for the characters involved) but this reflects an historically accurate governmental moral ambiguity and the drug traffickers business expedience. Altogether this adds up to a dramatic tour de force from the author. Not for the squeamish but unhesitatingly recommended as a fast paced thriller set in historical context against the Mexican/North American drug wars.
I read this because I had read good reviews of the sequel - The Cartel - and although not absolutely necessary to read The Power of The Dog first it does help fill in the back story as well as being excellent in its own right. I understand both books are in cinema pre-production.

A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets
A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book., 3 Nov. 2015
I loved this book . I am a cat owner and lover but I also work with homeless people in a voluntary capacity. My work has certainly shown how important a homeless persons pet is to them. The pets are usually doge who listen to all the problems and don't judge the person. Bob was such an exceptional cat who provided and gave love and trust. The book made me smile, laugh and cry.

Kiss in the Wind (The Edenville Series Book 2)
Kiss in the Wind (The Edenville Series Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 3 Nov. 2015
This was an OK book but certainly not a favourite.

Ungentlemanly Conduct
Ungentlemanly Conduct

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreadable. Don't waste your money., 17 Oct. 2015
If there is a decent book here it is well hidden beneath a welter of typos and inaccuracies. Nobody with the slightest feel for language could read this without shuddering as English is mangled at every page turn. I was not expecting a literary masterpiece just a funny read but could not get beyond 16% without hurling my Kindle at the wall. As far as I did get there were some amusing ideas but they were interspersed with crude schoolboy lavatorial humour which became both predictable and wearing.
Anyone who writes a novel deserves at least one star for effort but if Andy Dunn attempts another book then he should take on a competent proof reader and a rigorous editor. We football fans are not necessarily illiterate.

Greatest Hits - 18 Kids
Greatest Hits - 18 Kids

5.0 out of 5 stars Well I never..., 9 Oct. 2015
Country rock is not my usual cup of tea but despite the schmaltz typical of the genre this man still gets to me. And he can really play guitar. A welcome and surprising discovery.

Dr Pure Blues Lite String E Pure PHR - 9 - 42
Dr Pure Blues Lite String E Pure PHR - 9 - 42

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Tone, 9 Oct. 2015
First DR strings I've tried but definitely won't be the last. Great tone and slinky feel. If they last I'll probably use them on all my guitars.
These were replacements as first sets lost in post but supplier acted promptly.

An Officer and a Spy
An Officer and a Spy

5.0 out of 5 stars History at school was never like this., 18 Oct. 2013
This is a must read for all who feel they can never hope to bring to account the high placed cliques and vested interests that so manipulate our view of the truth. A stunning page- turner which nonetheless exhibits depth and scholarship and provides a timely warning never to blindly accept the official story. Every age needs a Georges Picquart (and a Robert Harris for that matter). Quite brilliant.

SWAN 8 LITRE CATERING URN
SWAN 8 LITRE CATERING URN
Offered by Sales Direct Online

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little Urn., 5 May 2013
This review is from: SWAN 8 LITRE CATERING URN
The urn is very efficient and heats up quickly. The only problem is that I should really have bought a larger size as it is too small for our needs.

Dark Black (Amazon Version)
Dark Black (Amazon Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Jools is costing me too much money!, 5 Nov. 2012
Yet another new to me singer(first seen on Later...) with an achingly beautiful voice. Dark Black proves to be such a consistently good album I had to hear her previous effort - Spilt Milk - and downloaded that as well(from i-tunes)without hesitation. Where has she been since 2009?
Influences from jazz, blues and everything else delivered effortlessly and seductively. She sounds at times like Dusty, Susan Tedeschi, Norah Jones et al but comparisons are pointless. Kristina Train is an original star in waiting. Buy Dark Black and wait impatiently for the next album.