Profile for Mr. John A. Evans > Reviews

Cook up a Feast
Cook up a Feast
by Mary Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Proof is in the pudding, 20 Dec 2014
This review is from: Cook up a Feast (Hardcover)
I bought this for my wife and since she has begun using it she has had to deal with major guilt issues. The book is so straight forward to use and the food turns out so good that people cannot help but comment on the delicious meals or desserts. Initially my wife was pleased by the flattery and now she feels a little like a fraud.

We have never catered for small or large crowds so this book has been fantastic, giving step by step instructions, meal plans and advice on crockery to use. You must buy this book for the Figgy Seed Bite recipe alone! You'll be a hit at any fundraiser or in your work staff room.

For myself and those she cooks for, we really don't mind one bit, the proof is in the pudding as they say! Did I mention the Coffee Cup Cakes............

Judy: A Dog in a Million
Judy: A Dog in a Million

4.0 out of 5 stars Courageous Canine, 14 Dec 2014
Firstly congratulations to the person who designed the front jacket, as I would never have picked up this book otherwise. I will always be grateful to the creative person as I would have missed an incredible story brought to life by a talented author.
Within the pages you will not only discover a strong, passionate and courageous dog but you will find out about a very interesting piece of history. I had no idea what the Japanese did to prisoners of war, Koreans or Chinese farmers.
How anyone survived to tell this tale I do not know! I do know that Damien Lewis is a thorough researcher and as a dog lover, the book moved me deeply. Initially I was going to recommend this book to anyone interested in World War Two history but actually this book would interest anyone. There are many caring souls found on these pages, should you wish to find them. Recommended

3 In 1 Classic Wooden Games
3 In 1 Classic Wooden Games
Offered by Liberty Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Game on!, 2 Oct 2014
This review is from: 3 In 1 Classic Wooden Games (Toy)
Smaller than I expected but suitable and very well made. I was concerned that the centre of each hinge would protrude and create a rocking motion when playing but I can happily report that this was not the case. I am very happy with my purchase and we have had many games on this board already.

I think that this is well worth the money and would make a lovely birthday or Christmas for any child of any age. It is light and practical enough in size that you could easily pack this to go on holiday and keep the family entertained - even with airlines diminishing luggage allowances!

Level 3 Diploma Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools, Primary, Candidate Handbook
by Ms Louise Burnham

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for teaching assistants, 24 Sep 2014
My wife said she could not have completed her course without this book, that it was invaluable to her. The layout is easy to read and engaging. There is a cd that comes with the book that provides further embellishment of the subject.
Well written and worth reading even if you are not enrolled on the accompanying course.

Montezuma's Great British Pudding Collection Truffle Box 240 g
Montezuma's Great British Pudding Collection Truffle Box 240 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious chocolate, 24 Sep 2014
I sent these to a friend and she was very complimentary, the presentation was admired and the flavours very exciting. The chocolate were very tasty and not sickly. So if you want to send a gift to someone this box of chocolates would go down extremely well.

Karrimor Womens Gecko Ladies Walking Shoes Grey/Aqua 5
Karrimor Womens Gecko Ladies Walking Shoes Grey/Aqua 5
Offered by Sports Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Walking on air......, 24 Sep 2014
These trainers are classed as a 'sandal' by Karrimor. They are very light and have small holes on the soles to provide maximum ventilation. This said I have not trodden in any puddles yet, in fact I may dodge puddles when I have them on.

These are the most comfortable footwear I have ever had the pleasure of slipping on to my feet. I love the colour and feel of the lightweight material.

These are perfect for everyday wear, I don't think they would suitable for running marathon's but then they are classified as sandals and have a more lightweight feel about them.

I can recommend these wholeheartedly.

Have You Filled a Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids
Have You Filled a Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids
by Carol McCloud

5.0 out of 5 stars Super S.E.A.L at school, 4 Jun 2014
After completing an Emotional Literacy course for her job my wife bought a copy of this book and has used it over and over in school. Once you have read the story to your class or assembly of children; you can created a bucket wall. Children can write positive comments to each other and help to bolster each others confidence.

Very rewarding literature.

101 Juice Recipes
101 Juice Recipes
by Joe Cross
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Juice on my friends, 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: 101 Juice Recipes (Spiral-bound)
If you are looking at the reviews wondering whether you should buy this book or not then let us cut to the chase: order it now! I have read every book Joe has produced and this is the best by far.

The book is created to stand up on your kitchen surface and all the recipes' are grouped into colours: yellow juices, red juices, green juices, purple juices etc It is so easy to use, has awesome advice and has really improved my standard of living.

Stop reading reviews, trust your gut and buy the book; then you'll be rewarding your gut with nutrients!

50 X 4.5" MULTI COLOURED LOLLIPOP STICKS FOR CAKE POPS, CHOCCO'S, LOLLIES...ETC
50 X 4.5" MULTI COLOURED LOLLIPOP STICKS FOR CAKE POPS, CHOCCO'S, LOLLIES...ETC
Offered by Carlton Paper Sticks

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, colourful and gorgeous, 4 Jun 2014
My wife bought these to create celebratory cake pops and they looked so professional that she has been offered work based on their production.

She thought that they were wonderful quality and the colour went well with the chosen icing colour. You can see them on Pinterest if you search for HLTA pops. Highly recommended.

The Summoning (Shadow World)
The Summoning (Shadow World)
by F. G. Cottam

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising, 4 Jun 2014
After reading the other reviews I decided to add my thoughts to the mix. Other reviewers have given enough of an overview of the story so I won't go and retrace old ground.

I found the beginning of the book and the introduction of the characters very interesting. There was a some what thrilling element to the story line when you met characters from the parallel world, who then interacted with the main characters of Adam, Jane, Grayling and Martin. I also found the reuniting of Adam with his father very touching.

Then, after a great start, the story plateaued for a while, Adam went to Rotterdam for his father and came back to Britain only to go back to Rotterdam a few days later. Two thirds of the way through I felt that the book was treading water and I was willing it to move on.

By the time the story took me where it had been promising all along I had just 3 pages of the book left to enjoy the new turn of events. Another review said that they felt the end was rushed and I agree with them. I realise that this is the first book and another will follow and the author ends the story with something along the lines of "this is not the end, just the end of the beginning".

The bottom line is that this book is worth reading and I am glad I read it. Would I change parts of it if given the chance?Yes I would
but then F.G. Cottam knows which way he wants to take his story and I respect that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5