Profile for Jane Austen > Reviews

Content by Jane Austen

Jane Austen "AK" (London, UK)

No Well-worn Paths
No Well-worn Paths
by Terry Virgo

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring man of faith, 12 July 2009
This review is from: No Well-worn Paths (Paperback)
I should caveat this review by saying that I'm not in a New Frontiers church and as such don't know all that much about them first hand but I wanted to learn more and thought that this would be a good starting point.

I found this book a fascinating history of both Terry Virgo as a person and the New Frontiers movement. It conveyed to me a sincere message of humility and faith through a catalogue of remarkable stories. Most impressive for me was the decision to cease the Stoneleigh Bible weeks at their peak in response to a prophetic word. That step of obedience seems to have been wonderfully rewarded and is certainly a challenge to me personally.

One of the most interesting chapters I found to be chapter 27, "Turning up the Contrast", where the author briefly but clearly points out the NF position on women in leadership, parachurch movements, Israel and spiritual warfare. While I can't say that I agree with some of the positions taken, I do appreciate the spirit in which they have been presented and it's certainly better to start with what NF actually says about such issues, rather than go with the rumor mill and learn their opinions from others!

So, all in all, well worth a read if you're interested in being inspired to live a life of faith and follow hard after Jesus.

If you're interested in the historical angle of the charismatic churches in the UK, this goes well with Andrew Walker's book, Restoring the Kingdom.