Profile for Hm Fish > Reviews

Content by Hm Fish

Hm Fish "petlamb" (England)

16 Compatible Printer Ink Cartridges for Epson Stylus SX515W - Cyan / Magenta / Yellow / Black- Longlife
Offered by More Inks
Price: 13.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Help needed, 22 Feb 2014
I bought these a while ago and have just put them in. I was a bit nervous as I vaguely remember that I had trouble using non-Epson cartridges on a previous occasion and needed help to get the printer to recognise them. I have put them in and cannot close the lid of the cartridge holder, therefore it cannot print!

As usual it is impossible to get an email address for the company so I am reduced to recording this here and asking them to contact me. hmf158@gmail.com

Trying to Remember, Forced to Forget: (My Father's Suicide)
Trying to Remember, Forced to Forget: (My Father's Suicide)
by Judy Raphael Kletter

2.0 out of 5 stars Unmemorable writing, 18 July 2004
It seems unkind to carp at what is clearly an emotion-driven memoir. Nevertheless I was disappointed in this book.
The bulk of it is actually about the author's mother and her struggle to raise Ms Kletter not only without a father but compensating for the father's suicide and (implicitly) for her own subsequent treatment of her daughter.
For me there is insufficent detail about the suicide and the father, and too much about the author and her own life. The details about her mother include a deviation into funding for homes for the elderly in the US - not of great interest.
The book apparently began as a memoir for her daughters and should, in my opinion, have remained as such. I found it intensely irritating that we were tantalised with the notion of the mother's different story about the suicide, but in the end the two never, in more than 50 years, ever discussed it or the father.
And I was infuriated by the author's acceptance of a claim that she is not entitled to feel grief over an event so long ago - although her subsequent actions contradict this acceptance.
There is very little attempt at placing the suicide and the author's own hospitalisation in it's psychiatric and historical context, which I also found frustrating.
The style of writing is tolerable although there are several wrong words which should have been corrected in editing.

Never the Same
Never the Same
by D. Schuurman
Price: 10.41

5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable book, 18 July 2004
This review is from: Never the Same (Paperback)
This book is written for adults looking back at their experience of the death of a parent during their childhood and how this has affected them subsequently. I wish this knowledge had been available 35 years ago when my father died and that I might have been helped appropriately at the time rather than struggle over the ensuing years.
It is written in a very readable style. There are a few short questionnaires so that the reader might assess their reactions to the death, and space for notes at the end of each chapter. As the text progresses (and it is a progression rather than repetition) Donna Schurman also reminds the reader of significant points about what has been learnt, and the individual's individuality (!) where appropriate but without the tiresome bullet-point repetition so often found in "self-help" books.
Ms Schuurman also provides notes and an invaluable guide to assessing a particular study's relevance and noteworthiness to the reader.
Just for once, the book's USA origin is not a disadvantage.

The Loss That is Forever
The Loss That is Forever
by Maxine Harris
Price: 10.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Growing up with loss, 18 July 2004
This book is excellent. Maxine Harris covers the whole gamut of the experiences of those whose childhood was affected by the death of a parent. It is based on interviews with 36 people but solidly backed up by appropriate research, evidenced by the footnotes, reference list and index - although Dr Harris writes clearly and in a non-academic manner.
If you grew up feeling different, "not normal" due to the death of a parent, or find as an adult that their death still resonates painfully at what you consider inappropriate times - you were and are not alone. This book summarises the knowledge of childhood grief response and its adult consequences that I have gained from a variety of sources over the last 25 years.
It should also be helpful to people working or living with children and adults who experience this kind of loss.

Vogue Knitting: Caps and Hats ("Vogue Knitting": On the Go!)
Vogue Knitting: Caps and Hats ("Vogue Knitting": On the Go!)
by Trisha Malcolm
Edition: Library Binding

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice n naughty, 8 Mar 2004
There are 22 patterns in this book all of them decorative and most of them delightful.
The only drawback is that the yarns stated are US and it's quite difficult to work out equivalence - which is vital for the strict accuracy needed in a hat pattern.

Caps and Hats Two: Vogue Knitting on the Go! ("Vogue Knitting" on the Go)
Caps and Hats Two: Vogue Knitting on the Go! ("Vogue Knitting" on the Go)
by Trisha Malcolm

3.0 out of 5 stars Second best, 8 Mar 2004
This book is a little disappointing in comparison with the first "Caps and Hats". Most of the 22 hats don't seem worthy of a "Vogue designer" designation.
In addition, of the 22 designs 6 are for children, and I would suggest there are more than enough other sources for patterns for children, particularly as this content is not apparent from the title.
Finally, not all yarns are availalbe in the UK.

Style at Large  "Print on Demand Edition": Knitting Designs for Real Women
Style at Large "Print on Demand Edition": Knitting Designs for Real Women
by Carol Rasmussen Noble
Price: 16.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book for large ladies who like gorgeous knitwear, 8 Mar 2004
This book is wonderful - no more big, baggy, shapeless, yeti jumpers for me! There are 14 designs, almost all of which will fit 42-60" bust. Obviously tastes in length and colour vary but all can be adapted to suit.
There is also a section of knitting tips and techniques which I found very helpful - some are specifically for the larger figure but Ms Noble also includes a really useful method for making a neck without holes at the picked-up edge.
Ms Noble describes the designs as "classic chic" but uses texture and colour to transcend the dullness which I have always assumed went with that phrase.
The only drawback is that the yarns stated are (understandably) sourced in the US - of course subsitution can easily be made, although the specific yarns used are gorgeous.

Creating Made-to-measure Knitwear: A Revolutionary Approach to Knitwear Design
Creating Made-to-measure Knitwear: A Revolutionary Approach to Knitwear Design
by Sylvia Wynn
Price: 11.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, 8 Mar 2004
I expected this book to be about adjusting exisiting patterns to fit larger bodies. What it is about is using a system of blocks and panels to fit your individual shape.
The book wasn't immediately appealing to me as the pictures are all of garments that are much more "classical" in style than I would normally be interested in. However when I read the text I realised that these are just the basis for the system to which infinite changes can be made.
The (very clear) instructions are given for both hand and machine knitting.

Sewing for Plus Sizes: Creating Clothes That Fit and Flatter
Sewing for Plus Sizes: Creating Clothes That Fit and Flatter
by Barbara Deckert
Price: 10.55

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must for larger women, 8 Mar 2004
I wish I'd had this book twenty years ago! Over time I've worked out how to avoid some of the pitfalls explained in the text (e.g. having shoulder lines half way down your arm) but my sewing has been iulluminated by other details given about pattern adjustment.
The information about types of fabric to use and confirmation that big people are hotter were also welcome, as were the explanation about ease and back measurements (I could go on ..)
Some of the colour-blocking was not to my taste but I still enjoyed the principal and admire the courage of anyone wearing a "car-wash" skirt!
I found the instructions were clear and easy to follow.

Stitch 'n Bitch Handbook: Instructions, Patterns, and Advice for a New Generation of Knitters
by Debbie Stoller
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulicious, 8 Mar 2004
This book is a delight. It gives clear instructions for beginners and the rest of us, including a knitting method called "continental" that I wish I'd learned as a 7-year-old left-hander!
The patterns are lovely although some on the small side for me -nothing I can't fix. I enjoyed the details about the designers and also the fact that the photos are linked to the patterns.
It's disappointing that the yarns specified don't seem to be available over here, although it's easy enough to substitute - the originals seem to have more colour choices though (judging from websites).
The book is also well designed, with clear print, large margins and yummy 50s-style illustrations.