Profile for Little Miss Bookworm > Reviews

Content by Little Miss Bo...

Little Miss Bookworm

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Thanks for the Memories
Thanks for the Memories
by Cecelia Ahern
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointing Novel, 27 July 2011
Having read Ahern's debut `P.S. I Love You' and finding it quite enjoyable, I decided to read some of her other books to see if they lived up to it. That led me to picking up a copy of `Thanks for the Memories,' which I unfortunately did not enjoy as much as her debut.

The protagonist, Joyce Conway, used to have everything she ever wanted, a husband and a baby on the way, when it suddenly comes crashing down around her. Her marriage ends when she miscarries her baby after she falls down the stairs. However, the fall is so serious that Joyce has to be saved by a blood transfusion. When she wakes up she discovers that she has memories and knowledge that she has never possessed before...

The characters in this story were okay, I personally did not find them to be particularly special or unique. I neither loved Joyce nor loathed her - I felt quite indifferent to her. I admit I was annoyed with some of the choices she made and felt she often did things for the wrong reason. Justin, her love interest, was not much better and I just found I could not warm to him at all.

I have to admit that the plot was good and I felt it was quite unique - I have never read about blood transfusions like this before. However, the writing was a bit of a letdown, I know that Ahern is capable of much more. I felt she did not go into enough detail (the characters were sketchy at best) and it all felt very one dimensional to me.

I award this two stars out of five because I know that Ahern is able to write more interesting novels and this is certainly not her best work

You Against Me
You Against Me
by Jenny Downham
Price: 5.24

4.0 out of 5 stars A Moving and Powerful Read!, 27 July 2011
This review is from: You Against Me (Paperback)
`You Against Me' is the highly anticipated novel by Jenny Downham following her critically acclaimed debut `Before I Die.' Having read `Before I Die' prior to this I really hoped that `You Against Me' would live up to up it. I found that I really enjoyed it but I preferred `Before I Die.'

This is the story of Ellie and Mikey whose lives become tangled in the most twisted of circumstances. Ellie's brother, Tom, is accused of raping Mikey sister, Karyn, and they all have to deal with the consequences. Karyn becomes so traumatized after the rape that she will not leave their council flat and Mikey wants Tom to pay for what he has done. In the revenge process Mikey meets Ellie and is drawn to her and even though their loyalties remain on opposite sides, he wonders if it is possible to fall in love...

I thought this book had some great characters. Mikey was extremely likeable because you could empathise with the hurt he was feeling. However, I did get annoyed with him when he started making all the wrong decisions. He is an appealing character because of the love he feels for others and what he will do to protect him. Ellie, on the other hand, is more cautious than him but she too is loyal to her family and continues to love her brother. She really hopes it is all a big mistake. I also felt sorry for Karyn but found her to be a difficult character because she was not sure how to deal with her situation.

I felt that Downham dealt with the sensitive issue of rape very well and she portrayed both sides of it. I found the book to be well written and was quite interesting. I thought it was fast-paced and it did not drag. I felt it was a powerful and realistic account of rape, which can be quite upsetting to read about.

I really enjoyed `You Against Me' and would award it four out of five stars. It is an interesting and powerful read but while I would recommend it, I have to admit that I preferred `Before I Die.'

Before I Die
Before I Die
by Jenny Downham

5.0 out of 5 stars A Heartbreaking but Beautiful Book!, 26 July 2011
This review is from: Before I Die (Paperback)
Having read the blurb of `Before I Die,' I was excited and hoped that I would enjoy it. I soon found that I was reading one of the most beautiful and moving books I had ever come across.

The protagonist, Tessa Scott, knows she is going to die. She is sixteen and has battled cancer since she was twelve and the fight is finally over, she has only months to live. To cope with her devastating deadline Tessa has made out a list of ten things to do before she dies. Some are dangerous and funny while others are sweet and heartbreaking; the reader's only wish is that Tessa will complete her list before she dies...

The character of Tessa is wonderful. She is so strong and full of life that it seems so unfair that she has to die. She is a very thought-provoking character and you wonder how you would cope in that situation. She comes across as angry and rebellious at the beginning but it is so understandable and fits in completely with the situation. Tessa made me laugh and cry and everything in between.

I really enjoyed Downham writing and felt it matched the great plot. This book could have been too upsetting to read but Downham added some humour that lightened the atmosphere. This book was written in first person narration and was very strong and enjoyable to read. I found it be very realistic and was beautifully written and very moving.

Overall I have to say that I loved `Before I Die' and it took me on a great journey - it uplifted me and made me cry. I hope you enjoy it and I must say it made me glad to be alive!

A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns
by Khaled Hosseini
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful and Moving Novel!, 26 July 2011
`A Thousand Splendid Suns' is the highly anticipated novel by Khaled Hosseini following his critically acclaimed debut `The Kite Runner.' Having read `The Kite Runner' prior to this and enjoying it, I had high expectations and hoped I would enjoy it as much. To my delight I discovered that I actually preferred `A Thousand Splendid Suns' and it has to have been one of the most moving books I have ever read.

The story is narrated by two very different women, Mariam and Laila, who have one thing in common - they are married to the same man. Mariam is the first wife and she is the illegitimate daughter of a wealthy man. She longs to produce a child and is very jealous when her husband marries Laila, a woman much younger than herself. This results in further bitterness in an already volatile household and things can only get worse with war on the way...

Both Mariam and Laila are very strong characters who have had to deal with extreme hardship. I certainly admire them and do not think I would be as able to cope if I were in that situation. I felt that they were an inspiration and they reflect real life women in Afghanistan. I was drawn to the characters and I really wanted to see what happened to them.

Hosseini's writing was wonderful - so poignant, moving and inspiring. The plot was also very interesting and it was very different to the western world. It certainly made me appreciate my life! Hosseini is also a great narrator and the narration is so true to life and very realistic. I found the book quite fast paced and I did not think it dragged at any point.

To conclude, I have to say that I loved `A Thousand Splendid Suns' and it moved me to the point that I was crying while reading it! A truly wonderful book, I highly recommend it and hope you enjoy it a much as I did.

Anne of Green Gables
Anne of Green Gables
by L. Montgomery
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars A Childhood Classic!, 25 July 2011
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (Paperback)
The first words that come to mind when I hear `Anne of Green Gables,' are "a childhood classic." When I was younger I fell in love with Anne and her stories and hope you do too!

`Anne of Green Gables' is the story of an elderly woman, Marilla, and her brother, Matthew, who are adopting a boy to help them on their farm. To their surprise they end up with a girl, Anne, and they are unsure about what to do with her. Anne wins them over with her charm and love but they soon discover she is attracted to trouble...

Anne is the perfect literacy character. She is flawed, she makes mistakes but still tries to see the best in life. She makes you laugh when she demonstrates her famous Shirley temper and it is heart warming to see her grow up and mature. I also have a soft spot for Matthew who is Anne's biggest supporter and is always loyal to her. Marilla is less likeable but she shows her true colours in the end.

I loved Montgomery's writing, I thought she had the perfect mix of humour and wit and I found some parts of the book laugh out loud funny! I thought the plot was clever and Montgomery dealt with Anne's upsetting childhood in a very sensitive way. It is the perfect read for anyone aged eight and up. It's still enjoyable for adults!

I highly recommend `Anne of Green Gables' and I hope that you love Anne as much as I do!

The Almost Moon
The Almost Moon
by Alice Sebold
Price: 5.44

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointing And Disturbing Novel, 25 July 2011
This review is from: The Almost Moon (Paperback)
After reading Sebold's critically acclaimed novel `The Lovely Bones' I expected `The Almost Moon' to be as enjoyable as it. However I quickly found out that I was mistaken.

`The Almost Moon' begins with a bang when the protagonist, Helen, commits a terrible act on her mother who suffers from dementia. Over the space of the next twenty-four hours, Helen looks back on every aspect of her life in order to discover how she ended up where she did. She also wonders if there is any way to escape punishment for the crime she committed...

I did not like the character of Helen; I found her too cruel and cold hearted to be likeable. I also did not agree with her behaviour and I felt that she did not justify the crime in my eyes. I found her to be too hard on her mother and I was disgusted by her.

I also thought that the story tended to drag at some points and I felt there was not enough happening in the plot which made it quite boring. I also felt the plot let Sebold's writing down and did not let her writing shine.

To conclude, I would not recommend `The Almost Moon' as I found it quite disturbing yet unrealistic. It is not Sebold's best work.

Of Mice and Men (Penguin Classics)
Of Mice and Men (Penguin Classics)
by John Steinbeck
Price: 5.68

4.0 out of 5 stars It Is A Classic For A Reason!, 25 July 2011
Many people are turned off `Of Mice and Men' because they are forced to read it as part of a school curriculum but I urge you to give it a second change and read it!

`Of Mice and Men' is set during the Great Depression and focuses in on two men, George and Lennie, who move to Soledad in search of work. George takes care of Lennie who is child-like and has gotten them run out of town in the past. This seems to be their one last chance and Lennie better not mess it up...

We are introduced to some great characters in this novel. George is strong and able but shows his caring side when we learn that he takes care of Lennie and tries to keep him out of trouble. Lennie is more innocent and child-like and I enjoyed watching his loving side rub off George. I hated Curly, the villain, with a passion and I found him a terrifying, volatile character.

Steinbeck's writing was also quite simplistic but very enjoyable to read. He is great descriptive author especially when describing the setting. I found I had a clear visual of everything. The novel is also quite short so it is not taxing at all to read. I loved that I went away thinking about the characters after I had read the last page.

I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it. I hope you find it interesting too!

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars A Book Well Worth Reading!, 25 July 2011
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Paperback)
`The Lovely Bones' is one of those novels that I really anticipated reading and I am thrilled to say that it lived up to my expectations.

We are quickly introduced to out narrator, Susie Salmon, who has been murdered and watches from Heaven. Her murderer was a neighbour, Harvey, and he continues to live nearby and is eliminated as a suspect. However, Susie father's does not give up on her and he soon begins to suspect Harvey, a sentiment Susie's sister shares. However, it is impossible to prove and the family soon realises the destruction the murder has on their family...

Susie is an interesting narrator and holds the attention of the reader. She is also quite a likeable character and you are always plagued with the thought `why was she the victim?' Her father always remains loyal to her and it is heart wrenching to see the grief eat into him. Her murderer is possibly one of the creepiest villains I have ever come across and I felt his eerie presence throughout the novel.

I felt that Sebold handled the sensitive issue of murder very well and it certainly was an interesting book, if not a bit disturbing. As I mentioned earlier, I found her writing enjoyable to read and her narration skills were particularly good.

Overall, I would recommend `The Lovely Bones' but I warn you that it can be a bit disturbing which is why I awarded it four out of five stars.

Room
Room
by Emma Donoghue
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars It Lives Up To Expectations!, 25 July 2011
This review is from: Room (Paperback)
`Room' is a very popular novel at the moment and I read it to see what all the fuss was about and I must say I was not disappointed!

The narrator of `Room' is a five-year-old boy named Jack who is imprisoned in a room with his mother. Jack has never left the room before and feels comfortable and happy there while his mother does not. Under the thumb of their captor "Old Nick," his mother is determined to do all she can to escape...

Donoghue's narration of Jack is very clever and unique and this is really enjoyable. I loved the character of Jack, finding him to be loving, determined yet quite innocent about the world. To him his mother is the universe and that is heart-warming to see. I also loved the motherly instincts of his mother who could have easily rejected Jack but chose not to. "Old Nick" is also a great villain with his presence always felt.

The plot was also very interesting and Donoghue was mindful that it is a sensitive issue. As I mentioned above, her narration skills are very good and enjoyable and I found they made the book stand out. I found this novel interesting and I did not think it dragged.

To conclude, I really enjoyed this novel and award it four out of five stars. I would definitely recommend it and hope you enjoy it too!

To Kill A Mockingbird
To Kill A Mockingbird
by Harper Lee
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 4.89

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Read!, 25 July 2011
I am always a bit apprehensive reading a book after reading very positive reviews because I am often disappointed with it as I expected more much. However this was not the case with `To Kill a Mockingbird' and it has become one of the best novels I have ever read.

It is the coming of age story of a young girl named Scout and her brother Jem. We quickly become aware that they are terrified of Boo Radley, their reclusive neighbour. But underneath that terror, fascination lies and they are desperate to find out what happened to him. Their lives are changed forever when a local black man is accused of raping a white girl and the children's father is his lawyer and they are forced to grow up prematurely...

Lee's portrayal of Scout is amazing. The novel begins with her aged six and concludes with her aged nine and throughout it Scout remains true to her age. Scout is a fantastic narrator and she holds your attention long after you have read the last page. Jem is also the typical big brother who sticks up for and is very loyal to Scout. I found their father to be a very inspirational man with good morals and I really liked him. The most fascinating character was that of Boo Radley and I was eager to hear his story.

I found Lee to be a very strong writer and she matched a great plot with great writing. Her writing made the story very interesting and I found it gripping. I did not think that the story dragged at any point and I enjoyed the pace.

Overall I really enjoyed `To Kill a Mockingbird' and award it five stars out of five. It is a brilliant read and as you can see I highly recommend it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3