Profile for El Bearsidente > Reviews

El Bearsidente (Vienna)

Grand Theft Auto IV (PC)
Grand Theft Auto IV (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Fail of the epic variety, 6 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) (CD-ROM)
The game itself, apart from a couple of bugs (which will be worked out with patches!) is actually fine. Driving is a bit different than in the old GTA games. Other than the bugs (haven't encountered a single one, btw), it's fine. Somewhat.

However, there is one MAJOR thing that makes me recommend NOT to buy this game:

In order to save your progress you MUST sign into Windows LIVE. So, in order to save your game, you are forced to be online and to use a third party application! This is absolutely unacceptable and pure and utter garbage. I don't want LIVE, I don't need LIVE. I don't care about achievements. I only want to save the game! If you're playing the game offline, you can't save your progress. You are forced to go online and to sign up/into Windows LIVE. Absolutely ridiculous.

Now, when I decided not to save my progress and return to the game from the save menu... it wouldn't let me. Instead it started to lead me in circles through the "do you want to save" "you must be signed into Windows LIVE to save" "do you want to continue without saving" over and over again.

BTW, Windows LIVE also installs itself when you're installing the game. That's worse than any DRM (without DRM I can, at least, save the progress I've made in the game, without LIVE I can't do it in GTA4). And if you don't want/don't need LIVE, then you can't play the game without having to start over whenever you leave it (cause you can't save without LIVE).

And to think that Rockstar Games once made great things like Max Payne. Shame on them.

Windows LIVE has to go.

I've uninstalled the game and it will go back asap. I want my money back.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2013 11:23 AM GMT

Mass Effect (PC DVD)
Mass Effect (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm lovin' it, 13 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Mass Effect (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Now... I find it amazing that almost all negatige reviews were written by people who a) haven't bought the game or b) had not the slightest chance to actually play the game, because they reviewed long before the game was even released on PC. And man of the things they claim are simply: wrong

Let's take the "no internet connection = no Mass Effect". Wrong, absolutely wrong. My connection was down a couple of days and Mass Effect worked just fine.

Or "only 3 installations". That makes it seem as if you can only install the game 3 times and then you can throw it away. Again, this is totally wrong. Just read the official site, it's quite easy, if you're capable of reading.

What disturbs me most is that people, who have not played the game on PC, review the copy protection system and not the actual game. That, folks, is stupid. If I'm going to review the new Mercedes I'm not going to review its tires. If you have beef with the protection, take it to BioWare, but don't flood Amazon's review area with your badly researched and biased stuff.

Anyway.

I've ordered the game, despite the reviews (I never care about those anyway). It came with 2 DVDs, one with the English version, the other with other languages, which is actually quite nice from BioWare, even though I don't need it. It installed easily and without even the smallest problem.

So I started it up the first time (no problems) and ended up stuck in character customization for almost 2 hours. No, not because of bugs, but because I actually got addicted on getting my character as close to how I wanted it to be as possible. This part is just brilliant. Meanwhile I've started a second career and built me a... Captain Jack Harkness (as close as possible). The character customization is massive and gives you a lot of freedom (I wish KOTOR -which I have still installed, yes- had this kind of freedom). The only thing it lacks is hairstyles and maybe one or two additional mouths (or a chance to modify the mouth a bit further).

The gameplay itself? Rather fast, but it can slow down at times, especially when you're on the Citadel. There it brings back fond memories of running your ass off between NPCs in Neverwinter Nights or KOTOR. Other than that... well, you have the great graphics to watch, so that's not so bad. Plus, there's a nice instant travel system that can prevent you from running mad on the Citadel.

Combat... is somewhat different than in KOTOR. Yet I like that fact that I have to actually aim my gun if I want to hit something (no sticky targetting). Yes, it plays almost like a shooter. The only thing that annoys me from time to time is the cover system, which is clearly made for console, but isn't really helpful for the PC (I prefer move & shoot). Yet, in some scenarios ingame it's actually quite fun.

And I just love the Normandy. Don't get me wrong, the Ebon Hawk in KOTOR was a great ship, but the Normandy just kicks so much more ass (oh, before you scream, one NPC calls another NPC an "ass" ingame, so be warned, there's "evil" language -which I don't really mind myself, but I know there's people who get offended because of such things... odd people).

Graphics... they are very pretty, even on my old machine. The only problem I've seen so far is: the game is a resource hog (shouldn't surprise though), yet my P4 with 3.4 GHz still manages to ride it properly. However, one should get a modern graphics card and a few .ini tweaks are very helpful (check official Mass Effect forums for those). Also make sure you max out your RAM on a 32 bit system. Once that is all done, the game partly feels more like an interactive movie than an actual RPG.

I'm only giving it 4 stars, simply because the current trend in RPGs is a bit annoying. The actual RPG content has been toned down ever since Neverwinter Nights. KOTOR didn't have that much anymore, KOTOR 2 had less (ok, unfinished game, but still), and Mass Effect has even less than that. Seems that console players don't want actual RP in an RPG, but oh well. Also a few more planets and ports would have been nice. It's clearly lacking there, but when compared to KOTOR the universe in Mass Effect is HUGE. And there's hope for addons or additional content. Maybe even user created stuff?

As for bugs, well, I've noticed two so far. Sometimes, when you enter an elevator, you might get stuck in it: meaning, you can'd do anything and the elevator won't move either. Save/Reload seems to solve this, just save often (Quicksave is your friend). This happened to me once so far. And I've noticed that there seems to be a problem when playing a male character and talking with Kaidan in the Normandy (I got strange dialogue options, which didn't really fit into the situation, but since Kaidan isn't really important for a male character and due to his death that's going to come with my male character, I didn't really care). Other than that I haven't found anything yet, which is quite surprising, given how bug-laden PC games these days often are (I only say Crysis, YIKES!)

Playtime... That depends. I started with female soldier and went for paragorn (ethics system is a tad bit different than in KOTOR, but not much). Now, I have to go through with her and try 1) different romance and 2) going for maximum Renegade. Took me 30 hours to finish the game with the soldier (I actually left out a few side quests). Now I have a male infiltrator at lvl 11, and I'm going to take him through it all just the same.

Other than that... if you liked KOTOR, get Mass Effect (and, IMO, the Mass Effect universe is far cooler than the Star Wars universe and it would make an awesome MMORPG, you heard that BioWare? Mass Effect MMORPG! Get to work!)

Oh and BioWare: Mass Effect 2, on PC, or else.

And before I forget it: Turians. I love turians.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2008 5:39 PM BST

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men (PC DVD)
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men (PC DVD)
Offered by 4GamersUK

2.0 out of 5 stars What a pity, 5 Jan. 2008
It's really a pity. Why, you may ask? I will tell you.

Kane & Lynch began promising. From the guys who brought you Hitman, which is still one of my favorite game series. But then the bad news came in. No online co-op! What the heck? Local co-op only possible when one of the players has an Xbox controler! Excuse me? This is a PC game, what the?!

But that wouldn't really be the worst part.

I don't care about "dated" graphics as long as the gameplay is good. Take Hitman. It may be old, it may not look as nice as Crysis, but it easily beats Crysis when it comes to pure gameplay. Same with Kane & Lynch. The basic idea of the game is great. I really like the setting and the missions. The characters? Holy mother of a waddling penguin! Better than 47. Actually, I'd like to see 47 facing Kane and Lynch... Now that would be a fight! Granted, the AI may not be the best, but if we take recent releases the AI is usually not the best (e.g. Crysis, a game where every handgrenade thrown the the AI opponents is a guaranteed kill)

But there are two things I'm not willing to tolerate:

1) Windows LIVE: I installed the game, it started to run and... no, no game yet. First I got bugged by the "You need Windows LIVE to play online". Well hello Microsoft... what the heck is that supposed to mean? I want to play the game in single player first, after that I decide upon multiplayer. I don't need Windows Live! I don't want it! And why is it popping up right when I run the game for the first time? Go away, Microsoft. Though, you think it can't get any worse? It actually can: Now, whenever I launch the game... Windows Live appears wanting me to create an account. Honestly... What the?

2) Controls. They are sloppy and not as precice as I remember them from Hitman. No, not sloppy in a "damn, almost hit you" way. No, sloppy in a "Ok, those were 10 aimed rounds with the pistol from maybe 10 meters and I didn't manage one single headshot" way. To put it simple, the controls suck. Going for an aimed headshot is almost impossible. I don't care how it would be with an Xbox controller, I'm playing this on the PC, I don't need a requirement for an Xbox controller for PC game for crying out loud! Again, go away, Microsoft.

Honestly, Kane & Lynch could have been a gem. In the end it's just a grain of sand in a vast sea of similar, low quality final products. A pity, really.

Back to Hitman it is...

Crysis (PC DVD)
Crysis (PC DVD)
Offered by scaddingk

2.0 out of 5 stars Most overrated game of 2007, 27 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Crysis (PC DVD) (Computer Game)
Don't get me wrong. The graphics ARE beautiful. But that's all there is.

For once, it's another product that was developed for 3 different platforms, and, as usual, the PC part gets shelved, badly. Crysis - Attack of the bugs, that's how it should be called. So there I am, running up a hill where the Koreans are waiting for me. But wait a second... Why the heck am I running INTO the hill? A primitive clipping error on a version 1.whatever? Hello? Who's doing the quality checks for the PC games? Wait, there are none? Oh, why am I not surprised.

Or, imagine you're in the level with the pseudo-chopper. You take control, have to fly it, but it... won't move. Not forwards. Not backwards. Not to the sides. Not up. Not down. You save, reload. Nothing. You do it again. Nothing. You do it... oh forget it. Uninstalled.

Now for the rest. The AI... I found the AI in Return to Castle Wolfenstein more challenging. At least there soldiers throw grenades back at you, they kick them away, they run for cover. Here? I don't know why every single handgrenade I've used in the time I played the game was a guaranteed kill. How is this possible? How come that the North Korean soldiers sometimes just stand there waiting to be slaughtered? Fighting tanks in Crysis was the easiest tank killing I've EVER done in a shooter. Call of Duty is a lot more challenging in that area. I'm not impressed by the AI. I don't know why everyone is praising the AI. I really don't know. It can't compete with CoD 4, it can't even compete with the AI on "hard" in X-wing vs TIE Fighter.

Okay, the Nanosuit is quite neat, however it smells a lot like Half Life. Oh look, the super suit. So where's the energy for my HEV suit? Oh wait, wrong game.

As for the storyline... Well... humans attacked by aliens... Wow, that's... so innovative and new. Not. Giant robot aliens? I stick to giant organo-robitic aliens like in Half Life 2.

Multiplayer... Ouch! I gave the death match a little try. One player skin. Everyone looks the same. Okay... How's about... no?

There I am, back to Call of Duty 4 and Half Life 2. You want "immersive"? Get Call of Duty 4.

That said... Half Life 2 has Dog and Alyx, beat that Crysis.

I really wonder why so many companies aren't capable of releasing an actual bug free, stable version 1.0 of their products. I feel cheated.

Yes, the graphics are nice, but... I want more from a game than just nice looks.

And yes, I've uninstalled Crysis by now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2008 9:39 AM BST

Battlestar Galactica : Complete Seasons 1-3 (16 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
Battlestar Galactica : Complete Seasons 1-3 (16 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edward James Olmos
Offered by Rapid-DVD

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't get me wrong..., 26 Oct. 2007
The series easily deserves 5 stars, but this product? No way.

Season 1-3 as a box, what the hell? What's the point of such a release? There is still a season 4 to come! And Razor! Without season 4 and Razor such a box is pointless. I would get a box-set, additionally to my individual series, if this box would have: all seasons, Razor, massive behind-the-scenes footage and one or two goodies (like... a Galactica baseball cap, similar to the one the Babylon 5 Super Box in Germany had it (if you were lucky, you could get one with the Psi Corps logo!)) But only 3 seasons, with the final one still to come? No way Jose.

This release is only there to milk the customers and get their money.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2009 12:47 PM BST