Profile for Brian Braincell > Reviews

Content by Brian Braincell

Brian Braincell "Brian" (Dumfries)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
SALUS IT500 Internet Controlled Thermostat
SALUS IT500 Internet Controlled Thermostat
Offered by Plumbing Supermarket

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected - excellent, 16 Oct 2013
I needed a wireless room thermostat and timer, it needed to be digital and with 0.5 degree temperature increments. OK so you can spend a lot less to do that but this thing is just great.

Installation of the receiver - replacing my current boiler timer - was a bit harder than I expected. I was not expecting it to just fit onto the old base plate (you might be lucky) however I need an electrician mate to fit it as receiver is wider than the old installation and wires needed to be moved. Still, if you know what you are doing it's about an hours work to replace the back plate. The settings on the top switch are CH aux or both. Aux is the hot water. The other slider is auto, manual or off. The led around the lower swicth goes from red to green when it is paired with the thermostat, the upper switch flashes blue when it is calling for heat. It all looks very cool.

Setting up was much easier than I expected. Unfortunately there is no included instruction specifically for the receiver and it was not clearly explained that you need to press the reset button on the bottom for THREE seconds to get thing to pair with the thermostat. The photos in the instruction manual are almost idiot proof but we did get stuck at one point until we realised we needed to press two of the buttons simultaneously to get it to 'see' the internet gateway.

The little gateway that plugs into your router was completely painless to connect and worked straight away, I have not tested the range but is perfectly adequate for my installation.

The best thing about the whole product is the internet connectivity. I was expecting considerable pain to get this working but I was very pleasantly surprised to find it was simplicity itself. The clever thing is that it all seems to go via Salus's server - so you need to register your device - and it then sends your updates to the thermostat (I think).

Anyone who has tried to use one of these weekly timers will know what a pain it can be to change any setting. However it is SO easy to change anything via my Mac browser that it is a joy and almost as easy via the phone app too. It is so easy it makes me wonder about the value of the touch screen thermostat as you have more options on-line and I have not (and probably never will) used it to try and change anything. The thermostat does look good though. Normally you just see a black screen unless you touch it but when you do it looks lovely. One useful feature not well explained elsewhere is that it has is a child lock.

Now I can see my living room temperature and change anything via my android phone from absolutely anywhere! Brilliantly easy to use, almost dead easy to set up and I feel completely in control. I love it and am very glad I bought it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2014 3:11 PM BST

Kingston Technology 8GB DDR3 1066MHz Apple Compatible Memory (for iMac units from 2009)

5.0 out of 5 stars MacBook 2008 aluminium unibody 5.1, works well., 6 Oct 2013
After reading all I could find, the upgrade from 2GB to 8GB went flawlessly and, as far as I can tell - having checked with Memtest and using it for a couple of weeks - all is well.
As long as you have a Phillips screwdriver that will undo the screws on the back of the case, once you get the back off swapping the memory sticks is very straightforward.
I was getting lots of 'beach balls' so I now have a 750GB Momentus XT and 8GB of RAM. Now there are hardly ever any 'beach balls', iPhoto runs like lightening and the computer feels like new again, hopefully good for another 5 years!

Be aware that the official maximum recommended is 4GB so It is essential (apparently) to have the following for all the memory to be properly addressed - Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and Boot ROM Version:MB51.007D.B03.
Below is from the OWC site:

How to you ensure your MacBook/MacBook Pro can address 8GB of RAM

Check the Boot ROM Version in your System Profiler at this link:
[...]
MacBook Pros with a Model ID of MacBookPro5,1 should have a Boot ROM Version of MBP51.007E.B05.
MacBooks with a Model ID of MacBook5,1 should have a Boot ROM version of MB51.007D.B03
Machines with other Model IDs are not affected and don't need an update.
If your Boot ROM version does not match the numbers above, download the appropriate
For MacBook Pros (MacBookPro5,1)
MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.8 (Apple.com Download)
For MacBooks (MacBook5,1)
MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.4 (Apple.com Download)
Once you have ensured that the Boot ROM is the correct version,
make sure your Operating System is updated to Mac OS X v10.6.6.
You must be running Snow Leopard to address 8GB on these systems.

5 Point Plus Car Seat Anti Escape System (15-30months)
5 Point Plus Car Seat Anti Escape System (15-30months)
Offered by Artisana UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not infallible, 3 Oct 2013
I bought this for a Maxi-Cosi Axiss. Our 2 year old had learned to get her arms out and the shoulder straps were so easily removed they were ineffective as restraints. Unfortunately, although this is an ingenious design, she can still get her arms out but now only with a struggle, so not as often. I think this thing should come with this car seat as standard as I wish we had had it before she learned how to escape.

8 In 1 Precision Star Torx Screwdriver Set Kit
8 In 1 Precision Star Torx Screwdriver Set Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 19 Sep 2013
I bought this to put a new hard drive in my MacBook. The quality is what you would expect for this price - the fit of the bits into the handle was a little stiff - but it is still perfectly good enough for occasional use. It did all I needed without any major problems at all and I am still very pleased I bought it.

Expert Shield - THE Screen Protector for: Mobile Phones *Lifetime Guarantee* (Google Nexus 4 Crystal Clear Expert Shield)
Offered by Expert Shield

4.0 out of 5 stars If you have a Nexus 4 this is worth the effort and money, just don't expect it to be easy, 23 July 2013
Be prepared. Yours may go straight on with no bother - no bubbles from tiny hairs and dust - and it may not take you a great deal of time, but mine did. However, if you follow the instructions and do everything you can to get it right fist time but are still prepared to be VERY patient if it doesn't, you should be able to get a good result. If you do get specs of dust, using tape wrapped around your finger to get them off is a good tip.
This screen protector is a very good fit on the rear and a better fit (than the cheap screen protector I bought first) on the front. I did not like the cheap protector's matte finish plus I damaged it trying to get rid of bubbles. The Expert Shield is better, I think, all the cutouts are in the right place, it is very clear and looks and feels good. I bought the Rinke fusion protector too and it fits well with that.
However It is expensive, very expensive, so only gets 4 stars. There is a 'lifetime guarantee' - they will send you another if you need it and I did after an imperfect first attempt; they quickly and courteously replaced it. However the thought of having to go through all this again may put me off asking again in the future.
In summary it is probably a better product than the cheap ones, you probably will get a very good result but it may not be as easy to achieve as you might hope.

Premium Protective Front and Back Matt MATTE Full Body Screen Protector for LG Nexus 4 E960

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 12 July 2013
Unfortunately it was not good for me. I think it is the size of the Nexus 4 that makes it a bit of a nightmare to fit as I had no bother with the protector I had on my Wildfire S.
I had not removed the LG protective film before attempting to fit this one and I did my best to follow the instructions precisely. I was not expecting it to be so hard but if I had not had several extra alcohol swabs to try to remove the last few, near invisible, specs of dust that create bubbles, I would not have got it nearly right. Despite using the back protector to practice first (I did not really need it as I bought a Ringke case) and also spending a great deal of time, I could not get either protector bubble-free.
The cut-outs are good and it seems to be well enough made but be aware that it does not cover the whole screen. There is about 2mm of screen edge that is missed and even with a bumper it could do to be slightly bigger.
I would not buy a matte protector again; it makes text shimmer and a little harder to read and there is obviously 'something' on the front of the screen. I am not sure about any glare advantage either so I will be replacing this with a clear one.

RoomMates Disney Toy Story Woody Giant Wall Sticker
RoomMates Disney Toy Story Woody Giant Wall Sticker
Offered by Wi-Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, worth the money, 11 July 2013
I bought Woody and Jessie for an outdoor play area. The sizing at the bottom of the product information is correct and Woody is just slightly too tall for an A0 waterproof frame (he had to loose a couple of inches of his right boot) but I agree with the other reviewer that he looks like he is about to jump out of the wall. It would have been good to have some instructions on how to get the best results as placing all the pieces accurately and without getting too many bubbles was not easy - especially the large head - but the vinyl material is forgiving and was happy to be stuck and peeled a number of times. Unfortunately I tore the right boot because I decided to transfer the leg top-down from the backing material. However, even when pieces got stuck to themselves the problem was salvageable with care.
I think it looks very good indeed.

iTALKonline SuperClaw Universal Dashboard / Windscreen, Case Compatible (Use with or without your existing case!) Suction Mount In Car Holder For LG E960 Nexus 4
Offered by iTALKonline-UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Kept falling off, 4 July 2013
I have a heated windscreen, maybe that's why but it kept falling off despite my best efforts. I removed the protective film immediately prior to positioning it and pressed very hard; the suction lock was stiff and hard to close so I initially thought it would not move. Left supporting it's own weight twice overnight, both times it had fallen off by morning.
I wanted it to use my Nexus 4 as a 'black box' driving recorder. I needed to mount it horizontally so the position of the camera meant it had to be clamped at the opposite end of the phone to avoid the mount obscuring the camera. The resultant lever-effect meant the video, and the phone, was very wobbly.
I would have liked to find a way to support the phone on the dash as well as having it stuck to the windscreen but the claw design precluded that. It was also not possible to get the securing knob tight enough to avoid the claw moving every time I touched the phone screen.
I returned it and will look for a better solution.

Xavax coffee-capsule holder Rondello for 48 Tassimo capsules
Xavax coffee-capsule holder Rondello for 48 Tassimo capsules

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper on amazon.de, 17 May 2013
I was very pleased with the holder, it rotates pleasingly on its base, takes up less space than I thought and it's a compact and elegant replacement for a drawer full of boxes. Even with (relatively speedy) delivery from Germany I paid Euros 26.84.

Prince Lionheart Backseat Kick Mat (Black/ Grey)
Prince Lionheart Backseat Kick Mat (Black/ Grey)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, good quality and it fits!, 16 Jan 2013
My car (Evoque) did not have any way of fixing one of the cheaper protectors to the bottom of the seat as the ties were too short and it had to be sent back. This one has a webbing strap that passes from the base on both sides to the front of the seat and they are then joined with velcro. You can push them into the gap between the seat back and base so they cannot be seen.
It has not seen any action yet but I am pleased with the quality of construction and the straps.
Comment Comment | Permalink