Profile for Film and music appreciator > Reviews

Content by Film and music...

Film and music appreciator "Vincent"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) [2011]
Dvd ~ Chris Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably my favourite of the Marvel characters and movies, 11 May 2014
That is... until the second Captain America came out recently. I like this one because of the 1940's setting, and it sets it apart from other Marvel movies for this reason alone. The movie also has a lot of heart and emotion going through it. The plot makes sense to me, and I really like the characters. If you're wondering what my take on a 'bad' Marvel movie is, then I'd go for the second Thor movie. As much as the producers intended for a solid film, that fell into the trap of spectacle ahead of a satisfying follow-up to the decent first film. On the other hand, this film makes you feel for the characters and leave you wanting for more by the end.
I have watched all the extras and if I were to rate those, I'd go for a 4/5. So you're not short changed, they're pretty good...Lots of deleted scenes, a listenable commentary, fun one shot and some good features which I invested more time in and appreciated more purely because I enjoy the movie. For context, I'd rate a release with extras along lines of LOTR extended a 5/5.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2014 1:22 AM BST

Fender Housse Standard guitare classique black
Fender Housse Standard guitare classique black
Offered by ZingsMusic
Price: 28.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but tight fit, 14 Aug 2013
Good product though is a pretty tight fit for my Dreadnought acoustic (if interested, it's also a Fender, model CD-140SCE). Was a little surprised, but it's tighter than expected length ways. Still a v nice bag though, 1 star off for fit.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 10, 2013 3:42 PM BST

Fender Guitar Stand Folk Acoustic Mini
Fender Guitar Stand Folk Acoustic Mini
Offered by EESMusic
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this stand, 14 Aug 2013
It's tiny but sturdy and just about get it in my gig bag. The build quality doesn't seem cheap either.

Mad Men - Season 1-5 [Blu-ray]
Mad Men - Season 1-5 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Jon Hamm
Offered by BIG Bargains
Price: 69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This show is amazing, 12 Jun 2013
I've been 'fortunate' enough to come to this show late and have this stock pile of six seasons to discover and sure enough it's a wonderful series that doesn't let up in quality. Everything from the music through the sets and costumes, the drama, the writing, the direction... the everything really. I even love the theme tune. There's little value in describing the show specifics given anyone who reads this and looking at this set at least knows that much. What I will say is this Blu Ray brings it all out, it looks stunning. The costumes, sets and production value can be seen, and all the drama will play out in a way it should only be seen. It's become my favourite period show outside of maybe Boardwalk Empire. The set itself features a ridiculous amount of extras, more than average I think. Excellent set, excellent show.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2013 9:45 AM BST

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 3 [Blu-ray][Region Free] [1989]
Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 3 [Blu-ray][Region Free] [1989]
Dvd ~ Patrick Stewart
Price: 22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, dynamic... all of the above.., 8 May 2013
Truly exceptional picture remastering and audio. Fantastic visual effects, lovingly restored/recreated planets and visual etc. This literally looks as good as something like Game of Thrones, i.e. something shot last month, never mind 23 years ago (and counting). The colours and clarity, the wonderful look of everything... I can't fault the set one bit. I haven't bought the other season sets yet but I am ordering them now on the strength of this. I know that season 2 apparently had some 'problems' due to CBS outsourcing the restoration of s2 but if it's even 70% of what this set is that will still be some feat.

Extras? not only does it cull all of the video interviews and documentaries from the old DVD version of this in SD which I also incidentally owned, but we have fantastic new HD extras such as a writers round table which is both entertaining and informative with 4 of the key players in the success of season 3. Then there's a fantastic 3-part documentary, the gag reel, the infamous Rappaport scenes, and all new audio commentaries. If you're a fan of TNG this is a must buy. If you're not, this is a must buy anyway, it is that good.

Doctor Who: The Reign of Terror [DVD]
Doctor Who: The Reign of Terror [DVD]
Dvd ~ William Hartnell
Price: 6.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable classic historical, 3 Mar 2013
This story was a first for me, and was glad to have seen the DVD featuring the vid-fired and lovingly restored version, with animation to complete the serial. I've come to realise I really like the early Hartnell historicals (well, I can't be the only one), so I may be a bit biased. I had high hopes for it and was not disappointed. Basically, if you enjoyed The Aztecs this will be a welcome addition. The production values are wonderful considering the use of the more cramped Lime Grove studios circa 1963, but there's a lot of attention to detail, something talked about by Carol Ann-Ford on the main DVD making of extra. Considering the director of this story didn't speak great English, collapsed during the making of ep 3 due to stress, and would never work on Doctor Who (or I think, BBC) again, this is a very accomplished story. All actors do there jobs pretty well, and there are a lot of dark moments as well as a bit of humour, though never over the top. Series 1 of classic Doctor Who was just that: 'classic' in my book and I am happy that with this release we have all of it on DVD, and that it survived the early 70's BBC tape junking fun to a large degree.

I found the animation of ep 4 and 5 very watchable. There was a lot to commend about the sets and the facial design, and for me felt like as good, if not better than The Invasion. I found some of the quick cutting a little jarring early on during ep 4, which was quite noticeable, but this improved and although some have complained a lot about the animation and some of the short comings, I don't see it! I think for a first attempt the animation studio have done Doctor Who proud. For the uninitiated the same animation house are doing 'Tenth Planet' ep 4 to finish up the Hartnell era on DVD. And another studio are doing a similar thing to the 'Ice Warriors' release due a little later in the year. All told it's a very good year to be a classic Who fan, and buy this release as soon as you can it's great!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2014 1:22 AM BST

Doctor Who: The Ambassadors of Death [DVD]
Doctor Who: The Ambassadors of Death [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Pertwee
Price: 7.20

3.0 out of 5 stars Have now watched a few times, comments on restoration, 26 Dec 2012
As for the colour restoration, there is obvious halo effect around some edges for some reason in places where wasn't apparent on the original VHS. I have reviewed comparison screenshots to establish this. I wonder why these effects have not been removed when there are means to 'distort' the picture to resolve this, as has been used before. For me it's quite noticeable and apart form this, it's brilliant to get to see all episodes in a form near to what would have been shown in the seventies before the tapes were burned leaving only b&w transfers. The story itself is a slow burner and well thought of with most fans, but I didn't find it as great as Spearhead from Space, Inferno or Silurians from the same season. In all this is a worthwhile release and an experimental one to a degree. They've clearly been using new colour restoration techniques to bring this to a releasable form, however I feel could be improved upon further for a potential special edition release, albeit probably won't now happen for another 20 years?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2014 1:24 AM BST

Game of Thrones - Season 2 (inc. Bonus Disc: Creating the Visuals - Amazon.co.uk Exclusive) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Lena Headey

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic though not quite season 1 greatness, 25 Dec 2012
Season 1 was a 5 star stretch of episodes due in no small part to Sean Bean as Lord Eddard Stark and Mark Addy (King Robert Baratheon). I felt the stories had a strong beginning, middle and end and a solid adaption of George's first book. Season 2 continues the high production values and carries over a lot of the amazing cast and production values but for me lacks some of the class of season 1. It's still very strong but not as faithful an adaption. A lot has been said of altered character threads and plot points some of which are no doubt purely creative and may be for the best in tying into the inevitably superior season 3. The blu ray UK version set is 100% worth getting from Amazon ahead of anywhere else as includes the 'Creating the Visuals' bonus disc. If like last year's disc it's a nearly 20 mins long feature on the visuals...This year's set also features more commentaries than last year and I think the whole package will offer a little more than last time, which was a lot already. And yes, 2013 will be a good year to be a Game of Thrones fan or fantasy fan in general.

Update: I'd like to add that the picture and sound is absolutely stunning, especially the Iceland and Croatia locations, truly great. The 'Creating the Visuals' extra is well worth the 5 quid extra but you wonder, couldn't they have included this as just another actual set extra as opposed to a web exclusion version? I guess not where there is a bit of money to be made! That said this set is better value than last year given there are more commentaries and most of them are good. I say 'most' because Lena Headly and Alfie Allen are pretty abysmal for a lot of theirs.

Terrapin TPU Gel Skin Case for iPhone 5S - Clear
Terrapin TPU Gel Skin Case for iPhone 5S - Clear
Offered by ClickJunkie
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Liking this, I might by another one1, 4 Oct 2012
I wasn't expecting much for only 5 quid and really wanted a case to bide the time until I could look around properly for a 'proper' case, but this fits the bill nicely, you won't need any more and excellent quality for such a cheap price. It doesn't hide the form of the iPhone 5 and if you get the screen protector pack by the same company it's basically a great looking and well protected gorgeous looking piece of expensive kit which is all anyone is looking for from this phone, right?

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds [Deluxe]
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds [Deluxe]
Price: 9.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying first album from Noel, 20 Nov 2011
I have lived with the album for a while and happy to report I love it! Granted I'm biased to an extent because I like Noel's work as chief songwriter in Oasis, and have grown increasingly impressed with his ever maturing soulful vocals. This has come to full fruition on the album which kicks off in a very bold way with Everybody's On The Run, a tune I first heard from a sound check in 2009 and seems to have been given the treatment it deserved with an orchestra and choir (what else?), and big drums, and guitar. It's also a cool way to start an album rather than leave it until the end. I like all of the first 6 tracks best through to Aka What A Life, which has been all over the radio. Definitely one to strut your funky stuff on the dance floor. Uncle Noel would be proud! .. And then the fabled Stop The Clocks ends the album in style. I say fabled because its been around since 2001 and could have been on any of thee last 3 or 4 Oasis albums since then, and finally gets its place on here. On a nerdy note, of special interest is the production from David Sardy who I understand added some ambience to the tunes and really helps elevate a lot them to a whole new level. I believe he also had the drums re-done after Noel originally took on the reigns of production early on in the process. Finally there are other tunes worth checking out which for one reason or another didn't get on the album, but are available on either iTunes, or available as b-sides. The songs Simple Game of Genius and Let The Lord Shine A Light On Me are both amazing, and at least one of these could have easily fit somewhere. Other songs not to feature on this are Alone on a Rope (v good mid-tempo soulful tune), The Good Rebel and I'd Pick You Every Time (folky).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3