Profile for Public Emilie > Reviews

Content by Public Emilie

Public Emilie

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
DOWN FROM LONDON: Chasing the dream.  Stalked by a nightmare.
DOWN FROM LONDON: Chasing the dream. Stalked by a nightmare.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic page-turner! Loved it. Charming and funny., 7 Jan. 2016
Love this book. Found the protagonist very appealing; annoying but real and reminded me of elements of myself. Very funny as well! It was lovely to picture myself in the locations, being an ex-Whitstable resident, and a DFG (Down From Grimsby). It was also quite sympathetic to people who 'move down from London' but also clever in portraying the common 'oh, it's so 'charming' here' vibe that many 2nd 'hom-ers' exude when in 'quaint' territory. Highly recommend.

The Elements of Style
The Elements of Style
by William Strunk Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure why I bought this..., 31 July 2013
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
I'm not sure why I bought this. It is good. I bought it after reading Stephen King's 'On Writing' - an excellent book, which frequently referred to this book. I think I thought that if I bought it I would be like Stephen King: an excellent writer. I think I bought 'in' to the idea of achieving perfection from this book. "This book will change my life" I thought. It didn't. I read it once and shelved it. It's really tiny too. Did I mention that? A7 size.

Mikki Grooming Ear and Face Scissors
Mikki Grooming Ear and Face Scissors
Offered by WUNDAPETS

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 31 July 2013
These are great, although if you have a particular antsy dog, that hates having his facial hair trimmed, you can still accidentally cut them with these. Just be VERY careful.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Another too-small item..., 31 July 2013
Again, far smaller than advertised. It wouldn't fit my toy dog. Or my small cat. It's such a shame as it's very cute.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars It is FAR smaller than it states, 31 July 2013
I bought this for my maltese dog - a tiny dog. But this was far tinier than expected. To her dismay, I tried to dress my cat in it. She is a small cat. Now she is a small and very angry cat. It was far too small for her too! I think it should be advertised as a ferret coat. It was quite long...

Choir and Chorus Conducting: A Treatise on the Organization, Management, Training, and Conducting of Choirs and Choral Societies (Classic Reprint)
by Frederick William Wodell

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book - some parts hilarious - all parts are valuable, 31 July 2013
I bought this book to aid in my conducting qualification. It's quite an old book and it seems it provides the basis of many modern books on the topic. Some of it was hilarious: the part where the author states that "the only solution for 'offending' voice is to remove them" made my laugh. Who could get away with such thing in these times? Much as many MD's might like to...

Fantastic book. Invaluable.

BRITA Marella Water Filter Jug, 2.4 L - White
BRITA Marella Water Filter Jug, 2.4 L - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little water jug, 31 July 2013
I especially like the way the water trickles through the opening. It's quite soothing to watch. Very inexpensive but very well made.

Simple Solution Stain and Odour Remover for Dogs, 750 ml
Simple Solution Stain and Odour Remover for Dogs, 750 ml

2.0 out of 5 stars Smells of Wee... really..., 31 July 2013
Oddly, this product smells of urine. I say that as a person who has sprayed it onto my freshly washed palm and sniffed.

Usually, when my dogs piss indoors (unfortunately they cannot resist the corner of my kitchen unit) I immediately clean it with bleach. I then use this product to remove the enzymes. I'm thorough. It always smells worse than before and the dogs continue pissing against the kitchen unit. Is this a joke? Did the post-man infiltrate my order?

Help!

Kick-Start Your Choir (Faber Music)
Kick-Start Your Choir (Faber Music)
by Michael Brewer

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Mike Brewer Classic.... such a shame about Mike!, 31 July 2013
Again, another brilliant Mike Brewer Classic. It's just such a shame he's a ... ya know... I have to say a certain amount of words to post this so la la la

How to Sing (How to play)
How to Sing (How to play)
by Graham Hewitt

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on vocal technique I have come across so far, 31 July 2013
As a teacher of singing and voice production I have found this rather dated-looking book to be the best so far and have been recommending it to vocal students. It's no-nonsense and clear approach, with room for your own notes, and many helpful exercises beats any of the modern pop-technique books, or overly technical approaches which cost at least £30 a book...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3