Profile for manicbunny > Reviews

Content by manicbunny

manicbunny "manicbunny" (aberdeen, scotland)

What Kind Of Man
What Kind Of Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected and totally unnerving direction from Florence, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: What Kind Of Man (MP3 Download)
5th November 1989. I'm driving home,on a Sunday night, a 3 and a half hour drive, in a van. Switched on the radio. Annie Nightingale's request show is on, and the theme, it being Guy Fawkes night, is rockets. A few songs are played then a strange song is played that I don't recognise. 2 minutes choral then BANG! guitar, bass and drum clatter in. It totally unsettled me in a way no song had ever done before. I made sure I identified the tune at the end. It was Kate Bush's 'Rocket's Tail', then a new song, and Dave Gilmour's guitar work over Kate's screeching vocals after Kate's intro with the Trio Bulgarka had completely thrown me as it was so unexpected. I loved that! Totally unnerving.

I can honestly say that no song since then has ever done that to me. Until last Thursday night at 7.30pm that is, when I heard Florence's new song. Rob's guitar and Florence's anguished vocals have the same disturbing effect when they come crashing in after Florence's contemplative intro. I didn't see that coming. And it's a direction I didn't expect Florence to head off in. I'm loving this. If Florence is ready to move on from the direction of Ceremonials, then I hope I'm ready to follow in that direction!

This is an intriguing taster for the new 'How Big How Blue How Beautiful' album in June. If there are more surprises like this one, then this is going to be an amazing album and one that will have been well worth the wait!

Little Red
Little Red

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 May 2014
This review is from: Little Red (Audio CD)
All I can say is that I wish I hadn't been tempted to buy this album on the strength of the superb 'Crying For No Reason'.There's very little else that comes close, maybe the closer 'Still', but most of the other tracks are unmemorable at best. A crying shame because Katy B does have a good voice.

Music From Baz Luhrmann's Film The Great Gatsby [Explicit]
Music From Baz Luhrmann's Film The Great Gatsby [Explicit]

1.0 out of 5 stars Only 2 Good Tracks, 17 Jun. 2013
Only 2 decent tracks here, Florence's absolutely gorgeous 'Over The Love' and Jack White's excellent cover of U2's 'Love Is Blindness'. In this age of being able to download individual tracks why can't you download these 2 tracks alone? The rest of the album for me is a waste of money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2013 2:52 PM BST

PLANS
PLANS

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty mediocre, 13 Jun. 2013
This review is from: PLANS (Audio CD)
Bought this out of curiosity. To be fair it's not really my cup of tea, but probably only one track will get repeated play, that being 'Happy Slap' which will be vaguely familiar as an early version of Florence's own 'Kiss With A Fist'. Florence's vocals are actually quite good throughout the album, and the basic jazzy arrangements are entertaining, unfortunately in most tracks they can't resist putting a male rap in the vocals, and it gets quite wearing to the point that it's unlistenable. When one listens to Lungs and Ceremonials you can see why Florence left Ashok.

Only for Florence completists - otherwise not worth looking at.

MTV Presents Unplugged: Florence + The Machine
MTV Presents Unplugged: Florence + The Machine

5.0 out of 5 stars Florence Stripped, 9 April 2012
There - that got your attention!

There are many out there who think that Florence only has one voice setting, this is the perfect response. Stripped of many of the layers of instrumentation, Florence's voice displays a subtlety which is not always apparent on the two studio albums, and as a result many of the songs display a different character to the original versions.

My personal favourite tracks on this album are 'No Light, No Light', and a beautiful cover version of the Otis Redding classic 'Try A Little Tenderness'. For me it's also worth the extra to buy the CD/DVD version, the cover of 'Jackson' with Josh Homme works much better when you are actually watching the performance rather than just listening.

This is an excellent album, showing a different side to Florence's voice. Dare I say it, more than a few who don't like the studio albums may be tempted to check this one out. To anyone in this category I would unequivocally say do it - you won't be disappointed.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2012 3:22 PM BST

Aerial
Aerial

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece, 14 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Aerial (Audio CD)
I have to admit I was looking forward to Kate's new album with a mixture of anticipation and trepidation - surely no album can be worth waiting 12 years for?
I shouldn't have worried - 'Aerial' is a beautiful album which could only have been crafted by one person. It's difficult to pick out highlights, but for me, disc 2 'A Sky of Honey' is probably the most ambitious piece of music Kate has ever done, a concept in which there is no weak link, with tracks like 'Sunset', 'Somewhere in Between', 'Nocturn' and 'Aerial' ranking amongst Kate's best.
Disc One, 'A Sea of Honey' is more individual songs - 'How to be Invisible' is a brilliant slow-rocker which could be about Kate herself, 'King of the Mountain' employs an almost-reggae beat which Kate has used successfully on a few occasions in the past, while 'A Coral Room' is the deeply personal piano ballad which Kate does so well.
Overall, this is a superb album, which maybe indicates a change in direction, there are none of the big or frenetic songs which Kate has done on past albums like 'Big Sky','Sat in Your Lap' or 'Rubberband Girl'. The only down note I would add is maybe 'Bertie' is just too personal a song to be included on an album.
Kate has come up with another masterpiece - it's up there with 'Hounds of Love', 'Never For Ever' and 'The Dreaming'.
Was it worth a 12 year wait? Probably not, but then would any album be worth waiting 12 years for?
In a year when reality shows are still rolling out lots of dross, Kate is still like a breath of fresh air. Hopefully the next album will not be another 12 years away......