Profile for BWells > Reviews

Dynamic Positions in Birth: A fresh look at how women's bodies work in labour
by Margaret Jowitt
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A relevant and inspiring book, 13 Jun 2014
An interesting and relevant book. I was particularly pleased to see that Margaret Jowitt makes use of some important recent studies (eg Birthplace, 2011) to back up her writing. The book is well illustrated with images of birth through the ages and this helps the book come alive. I particularly enjoyed the final chapter on Making Birth Better, as an aspiring midwife it certainly gave me plenty to think about.

The Hormone of Closeness: the role of oxytocin in relationships
The Hormone of Closeness: the role of oxytocin in relationships
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The importance of oxytocin, 23 Jun 2013
An interesting book about the importance of natural oxytocin, how it makes us feel good, stay healthy and maintain good relationships.
As a breastfeeding mother, I was particularly interested in the information on breastfeeding and the importance of touch and closeness (which produces oxytocin) for our children. Discovering more about why oxytocin is important, particularly when children are young, has led me to thinking more about ensuring I spend as much time as possible cuddling and being near my children.
I would be fascinated to hear the answer to the question posed in the final chapter (p158) "...what happens in countries where mothers may not be close to their babies after birth, do not breastfeed and...go back to work almost immediately? Are we going to see different types of mothers under such circumstances?" I hope Moberg may be able to answer this question in her next book!

Confident Birth
Confident Birth
by Susanna Heli
Price: 8.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 16 Nov 2012
This review is from: Confident Birth (Paperback)
This is a truly inspiring book. I read it during the week before I had my baby and the book definitely helped me prepare positively for the birth.
I have read many childbirth books during this pregnancy but found this one the best. It's very easy to read and I liked the layout of the book.
My husband has read some chapters in different books but he found this book the most interesting and helpful.
A great book, definitely worth buying if you are pregnant and need some inspiration for a positive birth.

Birth Matters: a midwife's manifesta
Birth Matters: a midwife's manifesta
by Ina May Gaskin
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Another inspiring book by Ina May Gaskin, 14 Jun 2012
Ina May Gaskin is an inspiring writer on the subject of childbirth and midwifery. I have read a couple of her other books before this one and have found they are full of lots of new information about childbirth and are written in a way that is easy to read. This book is no different and I found myself jotting down a few ideas and tips about childbirth. This book is written with a focus on midwifery - from the history to present day to the setting out a manifesta for the future. Although interesting in parts, I did find myself skipping some of the sections which were very dominated by the current situation in USA. The birth stories which feature throughout the book and the chapter which is written for Fathers-to-be were particularly interesting and inspiring.

Complementary Feeding: Nutrition, Culture and Politics
Complementary Feeding: Nutrition, Culture and Politics
by Gabrielle Palmer
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought-provoking read, 27 April 2012
This is a great book to read if you are interested in learning more about food and nutrition, particularly for babies and children. it states clearly in the introduction that this book is NOT a strict set of instructions on how to feed your baby or toddler, it is a book which lets you make your own decisions about how and what you feed your child. This is a brilliant follow-on book from 'The Politics of Breastfeeding' and it is a short book which leaves you wanting to read more about this fascinating subject.

When Your Baby Cries: 10 Rules for Soothing Fretful Babies (and Their Parents!)
When Your Baby Cries: 10 Rules for Soothing Fretful Babies (and Their Parents!)
by Deborah Jackson
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Trust your instincts!, 9 Jan 2012
This is a great book for new parents as it give you the confidence to trust your instincts. Importantly, it is based on research and all of the "rules" are backed up with facts and real-life information.
The title is very clever - a parent may pick this book up whilst looking for a "rule" book and find that there is a gentle way of parenting.
It is a very easy book to read and is broken up into manageable sections so you can pick it up and read a bit when you have five minutes.
Deborah Jackson is an engaging, intelligent author and I highly recommend this book.

You, Me and the Breast
You, Me and the Breast
by Monica Calaf
Price: 5.61

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for toddlers or young children about breastfeeding, 13 Nov 2011
This review is from: You, Me and the Breast (Paperback)
This is a lovely story to read aloud to a toddler or a young child with beautiful illustrations showing the breastfeeding relationship of a mother and child. It realistically portrays the joy of breastfeeding and it was great to read a book that showed nursing taking its course and waiting for weaning to happen naturally. I read it with our daughter (almost two years old) and she particularly loved the pictures of the baby and wants me to read it "again" when it's finished!