Profile for J. colbourne > Reviews

Content by J. colbourne

J. colbourne "paddington" (deep in the heart of somerset uk)

The Illusion of Safety
The Illusion of Safety
Offered by filmrollen

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good review, 7 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Illusion of Safety (Audio CD)
I'm slightly surprised that there are two such violently bad reviews for this album, especially as they are both before the release date and both reviewers have probably never seen tha band live. I had the good fortune to see the Hoosiers live in May, where they gave us a good selection of tracks from the new album. It is certainly different from their previous release but it is definately as good.
It's not high brow soulful rock but it does exactly what good pop music should. It gives you a lift, is catchy from the very first time you hear it and you can most certainly dance to it.
This album is bound to bring a smile to your face.

Ignore all of their publicity stunts and gimmicks and just listen to the tracks. If you don't feel that little bit bouncier I'd be very surprised...

The Affinity Bridge
The Affinity Bridge
by George Mann

3.0 out of 5 stars The Affininty Bridge, 25 July 2009
This review is from: The Affinity Bridge (Paperback)
I bought this book on a whim- I'm not that interested in Victorian settings and although I don't mind steampunk literature I wasn't too fussed.
I have to agree on most part with the other reviewers: the writing was certainly flawed.
It occurs to me that Mann has injected his description into areas that did not need it and therefore underplayed some of his more interesting scenes.
The relationship between Veronica and Maurice is implied but lacks any real spark of comraderie or, dare I say it, attraction. And yes, certain aspects of the plot do feel slightly contrived or glossed over.
I feel as if I have read a draft version of the novel rather than the finished print. It's a shame he didn't have the time or inclination to further edit this story, which is full of promise.
It's not all bad though. Once I'd actually settled into the style of writing, which I suppose is almost cartoonish, I actually enjoyed the book. I'm not sure I'll buy the next in the series, but it's certainly not a bad read for an afternoon on the beach or a rainy evening.
And of course the cover is absolutely fabulous...

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
by Patrick Rothfuss

4.0 out of 5 stars Like Christmas come early., 15 Jun 2009
I won't tell you the story because I'm sure someone else has done that for you already and I won't pretend that this book doesn't take stamina, because it's huge and big on the journey rather than the destination. Personally, (and it is down to personal taste, all you cruel reviewers out there) I loved this book, everything about it appealled to me from the size to the style of writing.
It has been rather cruelly dumped in the same heap as Locke Lamora and Song of Ice and Fire etc, it doesn't really belong there. Its more like an amalgamation of that style fantasy and good old fashioned High Fantasy. It's not slow, but it does make a lot of the scenery and micro plotting, so it doesn't rip along at a frantic pace.
I read this over Chistmas after finding it in a bookshop in the middle of Yorkshire. It was one the best things I read that winter and,if it kept my attention on a busy Christmas cross-country train I think it's probably right up there with the best.

When Darkness Falls (Obsidian Trilogy - Book 3)
When Darkness Falls (Obsidian Trilogy - Book 3)
by Mercedes Lackey
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars a cracking end to a vivid trilogy., 15 May 2008
I can't believe no one has reveiwed this book! It is a travesty not to let the world at large know how good this series is.
Alright, anything with elves and mages is bound to scare off a few people and rightly so, with a very few exceptions they are generally terribly cliched. Don't be put off, this is one of the exceptions.
What makes this series and this book so fantastic, is the vivid description and utterly beautiful characterisation, so much expected of an author like Lackey. Her heroes are flawed, honest and delightful, the world well fleshed, well peopled and full of contradictory magics and horrors.
This last book ties up a epic journey into knowledge and honour and all of the characters stories are satisfyingly resolved. If you like an angsty, deep and darkly sorrowful ending, this will disapoint as it only just touches on those emotions, leaving the reader instead feeling equally uplifted and gutted that the story should be over.

There is a follow on series, but beware, it lacks the depth and animated characters of the Obsidian Trilogy.

Doctor Who - Series 3 Vol.1 [2007] [DVD] [2005]
Doctor Who - Series 3 Vol.1 [2007] [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ David Tennant
Offered by MediaMerchants

4.0 out of 5 stars a good start, 30 July 2007
After the superb chemistry in series one of Doctor Who with Christopher Eccelston and Billie Piper; series two with David Tennant was so sacherine sweet and poorly written that I wondered if the third series was worth watching at all. Fortunately I was proved wrong and David Tennant and Frema Agyeman worked brilliantly together to start a whole new set of interesting and subtly poignant stories. The one downer in these three episodes is the Shakespear code which I think is a bit overdone and is basically not all that far removed from the dickens episode in series one, has much less to say for its self and the numerous quotes are absolutely infuriating. The other episisodes are dark and atmospheric and although the first episode is a bit slow, in the way of most setting the scene episodes, it gives good insight into the characters and is easy to watch. The episode everyone else has slated in these reviews is much the best of the lot if you like tense atmospheric storylines with poignant endings and a perfectly wrought distopia.
Enjoy!

Cast in Courtlight (The Chronicles of Elantra)
Cast in Courtlight (The Chronicles of Elantra)
by Michelle Sagara

1.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant sequel, 16 Feb 2007
This book is a joy to read, a good and satisfying sequel that builds on well laid foundations. Rich and intense without being fussy and difficult to read. Sagara has a fresh and humourous writing style that is a joy to read. Many fantasy writers have an unfortunate habit of getting bogged down when different species are involved in a story but Sagara apprpoaches this using a lighter less cliched touch and therefore the characters are believable and well rounded rather than farcical.
Kaylin's journey of understanding continues in this book and the mixed race society and politics is carefully and delicately revealed to the reader; whilst maintaining a fast moving dramatic, touching and often humourous plot. As you would expect it is often dark but as always the unflinching heroin, so human and flawed in character lifts the tone.
This book, i warn you, leaves you desperate for the next installment so if you're impatient i would advise you against reading on till then or you might feel a little unsatisfied.

P.S. My rating is screwed up because the buttons won't work. Ignore the picture it's four star all the way.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2009 3:37 PM GMT