Profile for Jorge > Reviews

Jorge (Madrid, Spain)

Livescribe 8 GB Echo Smartpen
Livescribe 8 GB Echo Smartpen

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Support, 7 July 2011
I ordered my Pulse 8GB pen several months ago and have been using the pen regularly from that time. Starting one month ago my Echo stopped synchronizing notes with the desktop software (the software crashed at the end of the synchronization process). I was able to keep taking notes but not to synchronize o manage them, which is basically the purpose of the product.

I reported this problem to LiveScribe Support and discovered in their web forums other customers having the very same issue. The support personnel in the forums indicated that this was a known issue and would be fixed in the next software release.

Some weeks later the new software released was launched and you guessed it, the problem was still there.

I have sent several e-mails to their support personnel, who send me vague response and repeatedly asked me to collect the same log files for analysis. It is important to note that I only got updates and responses about my problem *after* sending several e-mails; this has lasted for a month and I am still waiting for an answer to my latest e-mail. The last update received was a single line e-mail letting me know that the problem will be fixed on a future release, which seems to be the standard answer for every customer problem.

During this time I am working on my wife's Macintosh where the software is not reporting the same issue. By the way, I work in the IT industry and consider myself an advanced computer user.

If you keep interested in this, I'd recommend you to look elsewhere (Oxford EasyBook implementation is another option). If you finally decide to spend your money on this be aware that you will be on your own when problems happen. That's a shame, because the idea had a great potential.