ARRAY(0xa383ada4)

100 Acres of Sycamore
100 Acres of Sycamore
Price: 7.53

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 Aug 2011
This review is from: 100 Acres of Sycamore (Audio CD)
I was hoping that this album would be a continuation on the previous two efforts but I am a disappointed. Yes, the lyrics are good, but there is none of that kooky brilliance that made the first album so good, nor is there any of that raucous jangly rock of the second album. What we have is an album that is largely downbeat, with songs around the same pace and not much variety.

Don't get me wrong - there are some great tracks such as the title track, and the string arrangements throughout do add an air of melancholia to the whole affair which is quite nice, but the album verges on being a bit twee on occasion, and I found myself getting a bit bored after about track 6.

My overall disappointment is not helped by some awful reverb effects on his voice in the last few tracks - almost like they were running out of ideas and thought that this would grab our attention back again. It does, but not in a good way!

I don't think it deserves more than 3 stars, unfortunately.

Freedom
Freedom
by Jonathan Franzen
Price: 11.40

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Aug 2011
This review is from: Freedom (Paperback)
I managed to get halfway through and rewarded myself by putting the book into my charity shop pile. Whilst it's not particularly boring or poorly written per se, I found that I had no affinity with any of the characters and the book was at least 200 pages too long (as I only made it to page 350!). The author is clearly a fan of using 100 words when 2 or 3 would do, plus some of the plot was a bit implausible. I, like many other reviewers, am extremely doubtful that someone so caring for the environment such as Walter would advocate Mountain Top Removal for the sake of one small migratory bird, for example.

I've not been so disappointed in a book since I read Sebastian Faulks' A Week in December, mostly for the same reasons.

Thrice: If We Could See Us Now [DVD]
Thrice: If We Could See Us Now [DVD]
Dvd ~ Thrice
Offered by Get it in a Jiffy
Price: 9.29

3.0 out of 5 stars A patchy collection, 30 Sep 2010
This collection of b-sides, session tracks and cover versions is a mixed bag.

This set was released soon after Thrice's third album, The Artist In The Ambulance, the album that for me defined 2003, together with 'Hail to the Thief' by Radiohead. After the consistent quality of '...Ambulance' this album is slightly disappointing. The live tracks suffer from a poor mix and (dare I say it?) a poor performance and it is really clear how Thrice have developed as a live band in the last few years when you compare these tracks with those on Live at the House of Blues: +DVD.

It is still worth buying this though, as openers of the audio CD Eclipse and Motion Isn't Meaning are pretty good, as is the acoustic version of Stare at the Sun. The Thriced-up version of Eleanor Rigby takes some getting used to but is also quite good fun.

One for collectors only perhaps.

Untrue
Untrue
Price: 10.44

5.0 out of 5 stars A great piece of work, 5 Mar 2010
This review is from: Untrue (Audio CD)
I played this to a friend the other day and he told me to turn it off as it just sounded like "noise"...

Clearly he doesn't get it. Whilst this album is not exactly chart-friendly, it is however extremely evocative. I prefer to think of the "songs" more like soundscapes to inner city urban life.

You get snatches of melodies, odd bits of dialogue and drums that sound like they were recorded in a box - all of which when added together with some more lush-sounding synths brilliantly reflect an evening drive through busy London Streets (or any large city for that matter).

I haven't tried listening to this album whilst looking out over countryside as I don't think it would work - but listen to it and reflect whilst on the circle line or the night bus and it's great.

Highly recommended if you fancy something a little bit different but still quite commercial.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2010 8:26 PM BST

Vs.
Vs.
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 5.50

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic album, 3 Mar 2010
This review is from: Vs. (Audio CD)
A classic album from my youth - worth buying simply for the brilliance of 'rearviewmirror' which has to be one of the best songs ever.

The whole album is consistently good with other tracks (Animal, Dissident, Daughter etc) amongst the bands finest.

Highly recommended, especially to fans of their later work.

Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: 25th Anniversary Edition
Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: 25th Anniversary Edition
by Robert M. Pirsig
Price: 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious, 9 Feb 2010
I don't mind a bit of pretentiousness but this work is extremely self-indulgent and should only be read by those as pompous and obdurate as the writer.

Unlike Phaedrus in the book, for me it is quite easy to define "Quality": Not this book.

Yawn.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2013 10:14 PM BST

The Alphabet Of Hurricanes
The Alphabet Of Hurricanes
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 4.25

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed., 3 Feb 2010
It's a shame that my first ever review isn't more positive. As a big fan of McRae's previous work I was quietly looking forward to listening to this.

What I heard did not delight my ears. Ok, it's not all rubbish and there are three or four good tracks but too much of the album re-hashes previous output and several of the tracks ("...Troubles", "Me & Stetson", "Best Winter" et al) seem to be sketches of songs based around a single musical motif which don't seem to go anywhere.

There was none of the chill-down-the-spine of "You Cut Her Hair" from the first album or "Got a Suitcase..." from King of Cards, nor was there the put-the-smile-on-your-face of "Bright Lights" or "One Mississippi" from King of Cards or "Karaoke Soul" from Just Like Blood.

It's all a bit disappointing. Maybe the album will improve with age!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2012 11:14 AM GMT