Profile for Stu_cj > Reviews

JMP Motorcycle Auxiliary Fuel Tank 1ltr
JMP Motorcycle Auxiliary Fuel Tank 1ltr
Offered by bitzforbikes

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad. Bit expensive for a bottle, 24 April 2015
Not bad. Bit expensive for a bottle, pipe and a tap but I knew that before I bought it. 1 problem though is that the brass fitting is nowhere big enough to get a grab on my bike's fuel hoses (Honda 10mm bore). Tried all sorts of things with fuel dripping all over the place. Eventually had to join on a length of braided hose that I could secure to the brass fitting with a jubilee clip.

Photography Light Stand for professional photo studio photolamps
Photography Light Stand for professional photo studio photolamps

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, 8 Feb. 2013
Just bought one of these to use with an occasional 3rd flash to go with the 2 Manfrotto 5001b stands that I already have and so-far am pleased with it. It's not intended as a stand to support heavy studio flash heads, rather a portable gun and perhaps brolly / softbox and for that will do the job just fine. It's nowhere near as versatile as the Manfrotto Nano's but they cost more 4-times the price. The folded size or minimum height is also not as low as the Manfrotto's...but again..........
I doubt that this will be taken out-and-about too much but as an additional stand to grab when needed it's a bargain and I may buy another to modify to hold a reflector.

Sony NWZS765B.CEW Series 16GB Walkman - Black
Sony NWZS765B.CEW Series 16GB Walkman - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars They get worse sadly, 12 Feb. 2012
Most people will tell you these days that you really should buy an i-pod if you want a digital music player but I've always been staunch in my support for Sony players. It's true that Apple products are a thing of beauty and that Sony sadly are not but with Apple you get lumbered with i-tunes (which is awful )and once you get any Apple software on your PC it insinuates itself into everywhere meaning you have a hell of a job getting it off. Besides, digital music players are at heart....MUSIC players, and that's the reason I buy Sony and this is my 4th. I can live with the clunky designs, I can (just about) live with the (also awful) Sony software because it's the sound quality I'm after, and this one is no exception..it sounds great !
However, and to me this is a big one. In use this model for whatever reason is just not intuitive. I can't quite work out what it is but to navigate around the control software just doesn't flow. The biggest problem for me though (and the reason I tried to return it to Argos (£10 more expensive than Amazon but I couldn't wait, no "non-faulty" returns on MP3 players) the day after I bought it was that the feature I bought it for just doesn't work. The feature list for this machine shows a "Language Learning" facility and when I saw that it had this I had to have it. I listen to language lesson pod-casts in my car and often while driving would hear a particular passage which I would want to listen to again. Hitting "back" or similar on MP3 players simply returns you to the start of the "track" which on a pod-cast could be over 10 minutes long meaning that you would have to listen to the whole 10 minutes just to get that last 30 seconds or so. Therefore when I saw that this machine would let you re-listen to a section without going all the way back to the start, I just had to buy it.
Wrong. -You can only skip back 3 seconds.....completely pointless!! It's like hitting "pause" and then "play" again straight after, and of no practical use whatsoever. There IS a function where you can set points "A" and "B" to listen to a section, but unless you know in advance where you want to start and are ready to hit the buttons to mark that section, again, pointless. The other dumb idea (which I can't figure out the point of ) is that some some reason you can't just hit play and have it continuously play through a whole folder of pod-casts (you could do on older models) so if you are driving and that track finishes you have to pick up the unit, scroll to the next track and hit play again.
So, what do we have then. Visually it looks a little clunky (it's no Nano although it tries to be). The menu's are are not to easy to use (not "bad" perhaps, just not "good"), one of it's main features is a waste of space...... but it does sound good and thankfully you can move files around within Windows.
I already have a perfectly good Sony player for my music (8 years old and going strong), I already have a cheap Sony player for my lessons, this one doesn't do what I bought it for, Argos don't take them back if they are not actually faulty -so it will no doubt sit in a drawer as a Spare.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2012 8:23 PM BST

Earth Division
Earth Division

2.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately pointless, 5 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Earth Division (Audio CD)
hmmmm...after the hard to love recent album "Hardcore will never die but Mogwai will" I was looking forward to something of a return to form but sadly it's not happened just yet.
Mogwai it seems are searching for a new sound but they haven't found it so-far. Maybe they are saving the good stuff for a "Mogwai's Triumphant Return" headline or searching for a producer who doesn't dislike drummers -Either way this offering wont gain any new fans and will disappoint many original ones.
Sorry guys....love your stuff, but not recently.

The Difference Engine
The Difference Engine
by William Gibson

2.0 out of 5 stars ahh...so it's MY fault then., 29 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Difference Engine (Paperback)
I've been struggling with this one since trying it again after giving-up a few years ago and while looking for ideas for an interesting read decided to see what others thought about it. Most people it seems have the same thoughts as me about it in that it's slow and has no discernable plot -but is rich in detail (perhaps like reading a catalogue).
It seems though after looking at some of the other reviews and comments that this is indeed a great book and that the co-writers didn't have to worry too much about whether or not anyone was going to actually enjoy it as buried deep somewhere there is a great hidden meaning. Well, forgive me, I guess I'm just to thick to see it. Perhaps it's because I can't read more than 6 pages a night before nodding-off which is preventing me from building-up any momemtum.

Five Centimetres Per Second [DVD] [2007]
Five Centimetres Per Second [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Kenji Mizuhashi

2.0 out of 5 stars One for the bottom of the cupboard, 25 Jun. 2011
I'll be brief as from the other reviews you'll get the general idea.
A beautifully drawn anime with incredible attention to detail. Some of the shots are could almost be photographs and if you know Tokyo you'll be looking for places you recognise. However, as entertainment it misses the mark by a mile. The story has no depth, you never feel an attachment to the main character (who is as miserable as sin ), the plot doesn't really exist and ultimately you'll get to the end and wonder why you bothered (actually....there IS no "end" just a ridiculous montage of clips from what looks like an idea for a trailer for the movie).
Very disappointing and one for Anime collectors only.

Manfrotto 026 Lite Tite Swivel + Umbrella Adaptor
Manfrotto 026 Lite Tite Swivel + Umbrella Adaptor

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, 25 May 2011
A good solid piece of engineering which will likely last for many many years. Plenty of adaptors included so you will likely find many uses. As mentioned on another review though, does not include a cold-shoe so you may need to factor that in too.

Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

2.0 out of 5 stars I guess it's just me, 20 May 2011
...try though I might I just can't get it.
Mogwai have provided the soundtrack to my life for the last 6 years or so and in that time hardly 2 days have gone by without listening to something of theirs. Whatever the mood, there was a track that fitted. Why is it then that I just can't get into this album? I have tried listening to it as if it were not an actual Mogwai release and (shamefully I always thought I had an objective ear ) it came out even worse, I've played it everyday, once a week, left it a couple of weeks but still it doesn't work. Some tracks (shhhh....don't tell anyone ) I even skip over completely.
Sorry, but for some reason I'm feeling like the kid in the Hans Christian Andersen tale here as everyone else is saying how wonderful it is but for me it just doesn't quite click.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2011 8:09 AM GMT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally happy, 11 May 2011
I've just bought 2 of these for an urgent job and for the most part I am pleased. They are easy to set-up (and surprisingly easy to pack away actually despite suggestions to the contrary), the quality of light output is good (yes they are double diffused so you may need to "up" your flash output to from what you may be used to and get them in close ) and the build quality seems good. Flash heads are held in place reasonably well too despite being just a push fit, so for me as a Canon 430/580 user there were no problems. Having the flash head outside of the box (the flash tube fires into the box via an aperture ) is also very useful.
Just a couple of minus points and observations to note : The hot-she bracket design means that the face of the I/R receiver on the flash sits close to the bracket and this tends to block the line of sight to and from the master which sometimes means that if using more than 1 in a master/slave set-up then the positioning can be picky to receive the signal (I have had 1 flash firing intermittently and turning the head sideways is not always practical. There is no tilt facility on the brackets so you may need to factor-in the cost of 1 a tilt-head for each unit, and (it hasn't happened yet but..) the fixing arrangement for the box head to the bracket while being very simple to attach/detach looks to me like the box could blow off completely in a small gust of wind (never likely to be a problem indoors).
All in all quite happy and they look like they will last a good few years.

33" Inch 84cm Pro STUDIO Umbrella Professional Photographic Translucent White Soft light Diffuser/ reflector (White)
Offered by BV-electronics

2.0 out of 5 stars OK for an emergency, 12 April 2011
You get what you pay for I suppose.
I needed a quick replacement for a Wescott shoot-through of mine which got damp and the resulting rust on the splines stained the fabric. This one arrived and my first though was how small it was (I should have checked). It's very cheaply made, doesn't double fold for storage, no pouch, the stem is quite short and it looks like it will last about a week. Still, it'll get me through the job I have to do at the weekend and if it makes it that long it'll be consigned to the back-up cupboard until I can get out to buy a more durable (and bigger) one from a dealer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4