Profile for hross42877 > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 782

hross42877 (Scotland)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Traveler (The Traveler Chronicles Book 1)
Traveler (The Traveler Chronicles Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but pay attention!, 15 July 2015
The sign of a good book for me is one when I read a page, stop for minute, go back over that page and then go did that just happen? A book that makes me really sit back and think, Traveler is one of these books!
I mean this as a good thing by the way!, Police and parallel realities, what could be better than that?
Detective Trav Becker discovers that he is not where he should be in time, he could swear that he's broken up with his girlfriend and he is also sure he saw his partner bleed to death, something is not right, something is very wrong.
You do need to pay attention to this story as there are quite a few parallel realities but Dennis does a great job making this story move forward at a lightning pace as Trav discovers that other Trav's are out there and are getting killed off.
He needs to stop the killer but is he the killer?
This is one of these books that I would try and describe to you and do a terrible job, so what I will say is, if you like your sci-fi with a dash of thrilling crime then this book is for you.

Bossypants
Bossypants
by Tina Fey

5.0 out of 5 stars The creator of cheesy blasters has created a wonderful book, 15 July 2015
This review is from: Bossypants (Paperback)
Ok, so Tina Fey rocks, let's just get that out there right now, she is one of my total idols, in fact me and Liz Lemon could be socially awkward twins.

I first read this a couple of years back, I had seen Tina in Mean Girls and had started binge watching 30 Rock. I love it, it is smart and funny and nerdy all at the same time.

All of the cast of 30 Rock are great but Liz Lemon, she has all the best lines! Who can forget Meat Cat and Cheesy Blasters?

Anyway I saw this book and wanted to learn more about the enigma that is Tina Fey, she is genuinely funny and I hoped that any book of hers would be the same.

Thankfully it is, it is hilarious, sweet and honest. Charting Tina's life from awkward teen to screen queen via motherhood, it is a great read.

Full of snort-worthy passages - my favourite would have to be the Mother's prayer - choose to read this alone if you are a sprayer when you laugh!

Annihilation (The Southern Reach Trilogy, Book 1)
Annihilation (The Southern Reach Trilogy, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Crazy but good, 14 July 2015
I don't think I could describe in any coherent way this book, it is crazy, good crazy but like the synopis above says JJ Abrams would be right at home here.

This won't be a long review as once I finished reading this book I was a bit WTF just happened. Seriously I'm still not entirely sure but I do know it scared me, it intrigued me and it creeped me out, OMG it seriously gave me the shivers.

An expedition is sent in to Area X, all women, all nameless, they are scientists and they are set to investigate this strange wilderness where eleven expeditions have been before and not all of them have come back.

To get in to Area X they have to hypnotised, on arrival they discover a lush green area, the same area they have learnt about and they set about surveying it and this when the creepy factor kicks in.

Our narrator, the biologist, and her colleagues discover what she calls a tower, it is actually a tunnel as her snarky co-workers point out. Whatever it is,it is strange and dark, and deep. What will they do? Go in to it of course!

The tunnel/tower is just plain freaky, it is described as breathing and the discovery of organic writing on the wall that seems to circle down the tower gets them intrigued (and me getting increasingly WTF'd).

Of course being scientists they need to explore further, but things get stranger still, our narrator discovers that they are being hypnotised by the psychologist and she is immune to it, things get even stranger when one by one they vanish to turn up dead.

What the hell is the place they are in?

I'm still not entirely sure, but I love crazy, weird things so this was great but strange at the same time.

You really need to read it, my review will not do it justice , it is exquisite in its craziness. A must read!

Thanks to 4th Estate for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Techbitch
Techbitch
by Lucy Sykes

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, love, love, loved it!, 14 July 2015
This review is from: Techbitch (Paperback)
Oh where do I start with this gem of a book?

Right, first of there is one great big obvious comparison that I'll need to discuss before I go any further and that is Techbitch and it's similarity to the Devil wears Prada. Yes they are both set in the glossy world of fashion magazines and yes they feature bitches but Techbitch makes Miranda Priestly look like a Sunday School teacher.

I love this book by the way, it can do no wrong, in fact it is so wonderful I have even learnt some stuff from it, like it mentions a great website called codeacademy where a humble beginner can learn to code HTML and CSS and all those other weird bloggy things that have funny names.

Anyhoo I am veering of course, Techbitch is the story of Imogen Tate, editor-in-chief of fashion bible Glossy, well at least she thought she was. She has been away from work for six months following treatment for breast cancer, she is back and she wants to work.

The offices she enters are alien to what she remembers, familiar faces are gone replaced by much younger ones and in her chair sits an old assistant of hers, Eve Morton who was the best assistant Imogen ever had but is about to become Imogen's worst nightmare.

Glossy is no longer going to be a print magazine, it is going to be an app, a website, an all singing and dancing hot bed of fashion and gossip - 24 hours a day.

Imogen can only just use her iPhone and now she is faced with learning all about social media and the circus that goes with it, but she feels like a dinosaur, Eve is who is in charge of the whole thing is young (and obnoxious), tech savvy and has gone from sweet assistant to megalomaniac bitch.

Techbitch charts Imogen's return to Glossy and it's transformation from mag to app, it also shows wonderfully Imogen as she learns to tweet (with funny consequences), becomes the queen of Instagram and starts to become savvy with all the techno-babble associated with the tech world.

Imogen is also a mother and wife, there are no extramarital affairs, she is very happily marred with a young family in a wonderfully lavish house in NYC, but she feels the constant guilt that I am sure all mothers feel when they have to work late or put their jobs ahead of their family. She feels it the most when her daughter starts to receive bullying messages on her Facebook page - is technology as wonderful as it is made out to be.

Imogen really is pure class, despite everything she remains dignified despite wanting to take Eve and strangle her. Eve is another story, it is magnificent to watch her go from enthusiastic employee to crazy-ass-psycho-bridezilla-boss in a matter of months, her idea of leadership involves working 24 hour days, demeaning people and teaching them how to do the Single Ladies dance whether they like it or not, she is a scheming bitch, a social climber and you really want her to trip and fall from a great height.

This a wonderful read, it shows women at their best and definitely at their worst, it is full of wonderful supporting characters and really helpful tips too!

If you loved the Devil wears Prada, read this, If you have any interest in fashion magazines, read this, if you love the whole Silicon Valley techno world, read this.

If you want a story that makes you laugh, cry and want to push a character under a bus, then read this!

Thank you Penguin - Michael Joseph for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review

Ruthless
Ruthless

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling read, 14 July 2015
This review is from: Ruthless (Kindle Edition)
This is the sort of book you can see being made into a scary movie, it would look perfect on the big screen, it looked scary as hell in my head as I read it but with some menacing music and sound effects it could win Oscars!

Anyway this is just going to be a teaser of a review, I could go on and on about it but this book needs to be read and experienced.

It is a cat and mouse style thriller with ambitious Ruth being kidnapped then hunted by her captor, a man who taken girls before, six in fact. Six girls who where never heard from again.

Ruth is determined not to be number seven.

You have story flashbacks to fill in our characters back stories but the action in the now is the best part of the book as Ruth escapes and uses all that she has to get away.

A must read.

Thank you to FFBC for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

The Selection (The Selection, Book 1) (The Selection Series)
The Selection (The Selection, Book 1) (The Selection Series)

3.0 out of 5 stars A cross between America's Next Top Model and the Hunger Games, 13 July 2015
I have been aware of this series for a long, long time and have just never gotten around to reading it, until now! There is a lot of praise for this book, a huge amount of love for it, will I like it?

Well first of all one thing I do like is the cover, it is beautiful with THAT dress, wow, it does actually remind me of an episode of Firefly in which Kaylee goes to the ball with Captain Reynolds and wears a massive frou-frou dress though nowhere near as nice as this one.

Anyway the cover is very eye-catching but is the inside as good as the outside?

The story features America Singer, a 17 year old who lives in dystopian America, she is chosen to take part in the Selection, a televised contest of 35 different girls, one of which will become the wife of the handsome Prince Maxon.

America is not interested in becoming a princess but for the sake of her family she enters the competition and is shocked to find herself one of the 35.

The Selection is a cross between America's Next Top Model, Big Brother with a sprinkling of the Hunger Games on top. To be honest, the dystopian aspect wasn't really there for me, it is obvious it is set in the future but if you are looking for deep, dark dystopia this is not it.

What it is though is a great look at what happens when you put girls together to win something, we become bitches! Of course a lot of the 35 girls are sweet and innocent, some however are not. There is a lot of dresses and makeup going on, something that America has never really been interested in.

America struck me to begin when she entered the palace as a little annoying, but she is a teenage girl, but I did warm to her as the book progressed, she is a feisty, opinionated young girl as I am sure I was when I was that age and to cut her some slack she is away from her family "battling" to become a princess to secure her families future.

I liked this book, I didn't love it but I am going to go straight in to the next book as it also has high praise and I really do want to see if America becomes a princess!

The Dawn: Omnibus edition (A Dystopian Science Fiction, Post Apocalyptic Series): A dystopian Sci-Fi series

5.0 out of 5 stars Great UK Dystopian, 13 July 2015
As the majority of post-apoc, dystopian novels I read are based in America, I always love picking up a new book and discovering that it is set in Britain, in the case of The Dawn, London. I just like it when I am familiar with the setting, I can already see the skyline or what is left of it!

Set in our near future, nukes have been dropped on London by an unknown enemy, killing hundreds of thousands, levelling infrastructure, ending life as we know it.

Some have survived, they are not the lucky ones.

Told mostly from the POV of Zack Christian, a resident of Delta Tower. He lives in what is now called New Omega, the phoenix that has risen from the ashes of London.

New Omega is a group of high rise buildings (which you may recognise from their descriptions) that have survived the blasts - now quick note here, buildings surviving a nuke? How is that possible, well it is explained in the books so I am not going to spoil it for you here!

Anyway as I was saying, there a several towers, Zack lives in the aforementioned Delta, there is a Beta tower, a Gamma tower and so on but the government lives in Omega tower along with the creme de la creme of society.

Delta is far down the pecking order, they all have jobs in the tower and are responsible for the water supply to New Omega. The Delta residents live in awful cramped conditions, some take drugs to take away their horrible lives, everybody has lost someone.

They do have a chance to leave the tower, a lottery is held to find a resident to move to Omega tower, each resident of New Omega has a tattoo on their wrist and stands a chance to move up the ladder and become an Omega resident.

Zack wants to escape his life, a chance encounter with a girl in the basement levels of his tower gets him thinking, she has no Delta tattoo, she is marked with the Omega tattoo. How did she get to Delta and does this mean he can get out?

I don't really want to give too much away but The Dawn charts Zack's journey from Delta to Omega, yes he wins the lottery but that is the only spoiler I am giving you! He discovers that life is not any better in the ivory tower of Omega and that rules need to be followed, ones that he is not keen on following.

You also discover more about how New Omega came to be and how the "war" started in the first place.

This book reminded me of two different books, the first being 1984, with the rules and the monitoring of everyone but the book it reminded me of the most was Wool, except instead of being underground they are above ground. I mean that as a huge compliment too.

It is a long book, well it is an omnibus, but each section is excellent with wonderfully thought out descriptions of how London is now, there are also some handy flashbacks to tell you how things came to be in the first place.

It can be very dark but it is a great read and like Wool, I feel I still want to here more about the world that they are in, to find out about the people in the other towers, to find out what happened in the early days. The Dawn like Wool could spawn its own fanfiction! You can read more about the the towers and the purpose they serve at Michelle's website here http://www.michellemuckley.com/

We Are Watching: Mindshare Book 1
We Are Watching: Mindshare Book 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Great futuristic novel, 11 July 2015
Henry Malone has had a hard life following the death of his father, a death which was deemed suicide.

Now a teenager he works for the Planetary Link Corporation (Plink) as a technician specialising in Neural Implants. Everybody has an implant, to me it sounds like having the contents of your iPhone in your head but with the added terror of Plink being able to see what you see.

Plink want to control the knowledge that you absorb, there will be no unauthorised knowledge and Henry as a technician with them is very aware of this fact.

So when he comes across a girl who has strange not to mention illegal memories of a world outside the one he lives in and she also has extensive knowledge of his father, who is this girl and what can she tell Henry about his father?

We Are Watching is a great read, the futuristic world that the author has created is totally different to any dystopian novels I have read of late, it is a bit Big Brother-ish.

The description of the implants definitely got me thinking, it is how I imagine social media to be a century from now and it scares me a little, the population in this book are so dependant on the their links they seem oblivious to everyone else, does that seem familiar iPhone users?!

Anyway this is a breath of fresh air in to this genre and certainly worth a look at book 2 when it comes out.

Thank you to Xpresso book tours for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review

Millie Marotta's Tropical Wonderland: A Colouring Book Adventure
Millie Marotta's Tropical Wonderland: A Colouring Book Adventure
by Millie Marotta

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 7 July 2015
I totally loved the last Millie Marotta book, Animal Kingdom, it was jam-packed with lots of beautiful illustrations just begging to be coloured.

When I found out she had another book coming out I just had to pre-order myself a copy.

So is it any good?

Well yes it is.

The are loads of beautiful illustrations of flora and fauna to keep yourself busy with.

Once more the paper is of high quality, lovely and thick, I usually use gel pens to colour and they never seem to bleed through. Coloured pencil also look equally at home on these pages too giving lovely results.

My one little niggle and why it doesn't get 5 stars from me is that it is a little bit similar to the last book, I know, I know, I'm being ridiculous and I love her illustrations but a couple of the pages just look exactly the same.

However I still love this and I cannot stress enough how enjoyable colouring is, after a stressful day there is nothing better than unleashing you inner child and colouring between the lines!

Originally published here: http://redheatherduff.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/tropical.html
Comment Comment | Permalink

Under My Skin
Under My Skin

5.0 out of 5 stars Just amazing, 5 July 2015
This review is from: Under My Skin (Kindle Edition)
I read this book in one afternoon, I was glued to it. It was an amazing read.

It starts off with Chloe and her father leaving their old house in the middle of the night, furtively heading for a new life. You get the feeling they are running from something, running for their lives.

As her father drives, Chloe is covered with a blanket in the back, you get the impression she is ill, she seems cold, something is just not right with her.

As they hurriedly arrive at their new house (their new life too it seems), her father hurries around closing curtains, shutting out the world. What is he shutting out?

Well dear reader, they have a secret. Chloe is the sole survivor of a tragic car accident that left her mother dead. Survivor I'm not sure if that is right word as technically she isn't really alive.

That's right, she is a little bit on the dead side but yet she eats, she sleeps, she takes a concoction of medicines her mad scientist father makes her take to stay "alive". He is actually trying his best to make her "better", in fact if it wasn't for him she would be very dead.

He was a scientist for the government and during his time there he worked on some pretty sketchy projects, Chloe has become his test subject as her being alive has put her in the sights of the government and they want her.

So much more goes on this book, Zoe horribly scarred from the accident, struggles to look "normal", she pleads with her father to lead a normal life and slowly he lets her get more free reign.

She starts school at a posh boarding school as a day student, hiding her condition very well she comes across the schools own mean girls and starts to get that normal life she wants, she even meets a boy.

But she should be watching out more, she should be careful, because you never know when you need to run again.

In a nutshell, if you like young adult books then read this, if you like zombie books then read this and every kind of book in between you need to read this.

I loved it, Chloe does come across as a stubborn teenager many times but considering all that she gone through she does cope well.
This book will also make you hungry, especially for bacon, for my dinner that night I had to have bacon sandwiches, I had a total craving.

The ending of this book tells me there will be more, I hope there will be more as I don't think Chloe's story is over.

Loved it!

Thank you to neverland book tours for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20