Profile for N. Adolphus > Reviews

Content by N. Adolphus

N. Adolphus (Shepperton, Middlesex, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Samurai: The World of the Warrior (Special Editions (Military))
Samurai: The World of the Warrior (Special Editions (Military))
by Stephen Turnbull

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent insight into samurai, 25 Aug 2012
The author is, rightly, a renowned expert in this field, and this book is a good example of his work. The depth of research is impressive, but the writing lively and interesting so the book is not a 'dry' read. A wide and rich variety of very appropriate illustrations help to illuminate rather than just decorate the text. Jaspanese culture is not the easiest to understand for a westerner, but books like this certainly help to make sense of the world of the samurai.

StreetDance [DVD]
StreetDance [DVD]
Dvd ~ Charlotte Rampling
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Great dance sequences, 25 Aug 2012
This review is from: StreetDance [DVD] (DVD)
The story line was corny, but that didn't matter because the point of the film was probably to showcase street dance - and there were excellent dance sequences to watch. The film explores the idea of street and ballet dancers combining their strengths. The audience initially boos the classical dance moves, but, inevitably, is won round and cheers the team to victory. The final performance is good but, but the genres were more effectively combined in a superb recent stage production by Flawless and English National Ballet, which showed just how brilliant this combination can be.

SanDisk Extreme Pro Compact Flash Card 32GB
SanDisk Extreme Pro Compact Flash Card 32GB
Offered by Buybenchmark UK Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge capacity and fast access, 23 July 2011
I wanted a high capacity CF for my Canon 7D camera which, with 18 megapixels, uses a lot of memory. I also wanted quick access and reliability as I was going on a 'holiday of a lifetime'. Despite taking many still pictures, and a fair bit of video, there was still capacity in the CF card at the end of three weeks! The only drawback is the price!

Sony ICD-PX312D - Digital Voice Recorder 2GB MP3 Black with Dragon Naturally Speaking Software
Offered by magicdiscounts

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and effective, 23 July 2011
This is the first machine of this type I have used. So far I have found operating the dictating machine simple. Its small size and low weight make it very easy to slip into a pocket. I was very impressed with the accuracy of transcription using Naturally Speaking software. The only difficulty is that I have had to add all punctuation at the editing stage as I haven't 'got the hang of' saying what punctuation I need in the middle of dictating text.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2012 3:34 PM GMT

Bosch Collecto 50 for AHS 48-16/52-16/480-24T/52 Accu Hedgecutters (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly useful accessory, 26 May 2011
I have so far used this accessory once, on a hedge trimmer while perched on a ladder cutting a high forsythia hedge. It didn't appear to add significantly to the weight, and it helped keep clippings tidy. You have to adjust to the fact that with the accessory you can only cut in one direction. It was straightforward to fit but took a little time so I wouldn't want to keep putting on and taking off as I worked along the hedge. Overall I would sooner have this than not, but I expect that for 'tidying up' trims I won't bother to fit it!

Bosch AHS 52 Accu - Cordless Hedgecutter (discontinued by manufacturer)
Bosch AHS 52 Accu - Cordless Hedgecutter (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and easy to use, 26 May 2011
I have used this hedge trimmer twice so far. Once for a forsythia that is about ten foot tall and twenty foot or so long. The other time was for a privet hedge that is about 120 foot long. On both occasiions I found the hege trimmer easy to use, not too heavy, and effective in cutting. It would not be the best tool for a major cut back as it didn't work well on thick twigs, but I wouldn't expect a relatively light cordless trimmer to do this. The spare battery is really useful, but I found that one battery lasts well anyway.

Norwegian Wood
Norwegian Wood
by Haruki Murakami

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and poignant coming-of-age story, 21 Feb 2010
This review is from: Norwegian Wood (Paperback)
Some of us can remember being at university when the Beatles were at their best (the book's title being one of the Beatles' classic tracks) and some of the 'swinging sixties' described here is familiar ground for an English reader, but much is different as the story is set in Japan. You get an intriguing insight into Japanese life and culture thorough the eyes of Toru Watanabe who can perhaps drink like a typical English student but who, when bored and lacking motivation attends every lecture, completes every assignment and keeps his room tidy (that did sound strange!) There is humour even if some of the characters appear a little caricature. There is also a deep sadness leading to several suicides that seem almost inevitable in their context, but Toru should make it maturity, probably. I found I wanted to keep reading this book until the end but was then sorry I didn't still have it to read. Not surprisingly, Norwegian Wood catapaulted the author to stardom, which disquieted him so much he left his native land for some years.

An Artist of the Floating World
An Artist of the Floating World
by Kazuo Ishiguro

5.0 out of 5 stars Gently descriptive but with a telling, darker undertone, 21 Feb 2010
This book is a beautifully written portrait of life in Japan shortly after the Second World War. You feel you are being given a real insight into the culture and shifting attitudes following defeat. The story telling is subtle, leaving gaps for the reader to fill, a bit like a detective story but without the frustration of realising as you read the last page that you got it wrong! This is the first book I have read by Ishiguro, and I immediately bought another!

Tokyo (AA CityPack Guides) (AA CityPack Guides)
Tokyo (AA CityPack Guides) (AA CityPack Guides)
by AA Publishing

4.0 out of 5 stars Very practical guide, 21 Feb 2010
As I am soon to visit Japan for the first time I have been looking through many guidebooks. This one is very readable and informative and is small enough to easily slip into a pocket. Most maps of Tokyo I have seen are confusing - to me at least - but I was impressed with the clarity of the detachable map supplied with this guide.

Stranger Music: Selected Poems and Songs
Stranger Music: Selected Poems and Songs
by Leonard Cohen

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, thought provoking poetry, 21 Sep 2009
I was introduced to Leonard Cohen's work very recently through Alexandra Burke's Hallelujah and realised that the lyrics had far more depth and subtlety than most 'pop' songs. I wish I had 'discovered' him earlier. This book is packed full of his poems and lyrics. As he avoids cliches and the obvious, you have to work at the layers of meaning (as with most good modern poetry), but the reward is well worth the effort.

Page: 1 | 2