Profile for Stephen A. Starbuck > Reviews

Content by Stephen A. Sta...

Stephen A. Starbuck (Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The British Execution: 1500-1964 (Shire Library)
The British Execution: 1500-1964 (Shire Library)
by Stephen Banks

5.0 out of 5 stars No pussy-footing !, 17 Aug 2013
A nice, neat ,well-illustrated review of judicial executions in this country without all the customary 'pussy-footing' around all the gruesome details. One wouldn't really like to call it 'readable' but it has finally cleared up one or two misconceptions I had on the subject . The decision to offer a brief review of (non-judicial?) execution practices prior to 1500 was much appreciated but the subject might surely have merited a companion volume all to itself ! Possibly an opportunity lost there but 'well done' all the same.

The woman's hour playing cards
The woman's hour playing cards
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Educational !, 13 July 2013
Like a great many men (I suspect) I can't abide 'Woman's Hour' with all it's predictable preoccupations . Having said this I would have no hesitation in adding this pack of cards to my daughter's Xmas list (IF I had one and IF I celebrated Xmas) as it appears to have nothing (directly) to do with the programme. It's cheap ,cheerful and (god forbid) EDUCATIONAL as (possibly pathetically!)
I failed to recognise several of the ladies illustrated in the pack.

Don't Look Now But It's Christmas Again
Don't Look Now But It's Christmas Again
by Wegner

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheated !, 24 Jun 2013
Despite Amazon's claim that there was no previous review of this book I managed to find one which awarded only 3 stars on the grounds that "there are definitely images that you do NOT want a young child to be seeing! Images concerning Santa Claus and Jesus Christ." Well - all I can say is that I've looked through the book four times now and blowed if I can find any ! Possibly I'm just another 'very, very naughty boy' and - although some of Mr. Wegner's gentle humour might fall flat upon the modern ear - his illustrations remain a positive delight. I would definitely urge readers to stock up on this excellent little tome as stocking fillers for broadminded grownups next Xmas. Especially at the very modest Amazon price of £2.50 inclusive of P&P. However those of a sensitive (oversensitive?) disposition should look elsewhere.

Flip-O-Storic
Flip-O-Storic
by Sarah Ball
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars One for the grandchildren!, 19 Jun 2013
This review is from: Flip-O-Storic (Board book)
When you're waiting for grandchildren to appear in your life - and beginning to think that time is running out - this is the sort of book that really is very hard to resist . Not exactly an original concept but that's all part of its charm. The comparable book that I had when I was 4 or 5 is now a collector's classic, worth a 'bob or two' and an absolute delight for all who are allowed to turn its many
pages. Ms Ball's book - with its 'clean' graphic style - is a welcome addition to the genre and is sure tol entertain the next generation of grandchildren (and grandparents) for many years to come.

Les forteresses maritimes de Vauban
Les forteresses maritimes de Vauban
by Nathalie Meyer-Sablé

4.0 out of 5 stars I should have known !, 19 Jun 2013
I really should have known that a book about the maritime fortresses of Vauban would be written in French. It just goes to show how we English take the universality of our language for granted ! It's hardly the fault of the book - or even the French for that matter. So a little disappointing but ,in a field of study where any literature is welcome, Nathalie Meyer-Sables efforts are to be heartily applauded. The presentation is easy to follow and the photography excellent. A very welcome addition to a rather limited library which can only encourage me to get over the channel and see the sites for myself or swat up on my limited language skills.

Rings
Rings
by Church Rachel

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a lot to say !, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Rings (Hardcover)
Not a lot to say other than this is another super little book in this untitled (20cm. x 21cm.) series from the V&A . Informative , well
presented and illustrated it almost makes you want to forsake the rural delights of North Yorkshire to trudge down to London and see the collection for oneself - but not quite !

Flip Fashion
Flip Fashion
by Lucille Clerc

5.0 out of 5 stars Stocking Filler ?, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Flip Fashion (Hardcover)
With Xmas fast approaching (! - it's May) this well-illustrated and entertaining little book would make an excellent 'stocking filler' for anyone - male or female / adult or child - who might be remotely interested in the dubious world of contemporary fashion. Currently at a very modest price on Amazon (it's still May !) it promises endless hours of Boxing Day amusement with just a smidge of real
education.

Balenciaga
Balenciaga
by Pierre Arizzoli-Clemental

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the only man...!, 25 Sep 2012
This review is from: Balenciaga (Hardcover)
Jorgen is not the only man to have spotted this book. I came across it in Nice while shopping with my son's girlfriend who's very keen on all things 'haute couture'. I think we were both immediately impressed by the outstanding photography , the presentation of the garments selected and the sheer quality of the book itself ... it positively oozes 'class' ! Needless to say - being in Nice - the book was on sale at its original, full retail price but a quick search on Amazon when I got home showed it was being offered at something far more acceptable. So I've dipped into my pension with little more than a moment's hesitation - another Xmas present sorted!

The Transformation of St Pancras Station
The Transformation of St Pancras Station
by Alastair Lansley

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten out of Ten !, 20 April 2012
Believe I am the tenth reviewer to give this little book a perfect score. Excellent value for money even before the discounted price from Amazon. Informative , beautifully presented and photographed - it makes me wish I'd become an architect like my big brother instead of frittering my life away in marketing !

Literary Greats Paper Dolls (Dover Paper Dolls)
Literary Greats Paper Dolls (Dover Paper Dolls)
by Tim Foley

5.0 out of 5 stars The real thing ?, 14 Mar 2012
Not really a 'Paper Doll' book as such but a series of beautifully rendered (and witty) literary illustrations.
There's no way that you'd want to spoil it with a pair of scissors but highly recommended nevertheless.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3