Profile for Mr. Robert Shaw > Reviews

Content by Mr. Robert Shaw

Mr. Robert Shaw "hungoverdrawn" (London, England)

Missing Out: In Praise of the Unlived Life
Missing Out: In Praise of the Unlived Life
by Adam Phillips

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it, 5 Oct. 2012
I really wanted to like this book as, having heard about it Radio 4's 'Start the Week' programme, I was fascinated by the premise. I still am, but I've come away with the feeling that none of the book's chapters really came close to justifying the argument.

I found that they got infuriating close, but then the chapter ended abruptly and the next chapter seemed to me to be a non-logical leap - it wasn't really a surprise to find out (as I did in the acknowledgements) that each of the chapters was originally a separate lecture.

But then what do I know? This is the first book on psychoanalysis that I've read, and it has two five-star reviews already, including one that reads "Because of its fascinating aspects i [sic] reckon allot [sic] of people will find it hard to read." - so maybe it's me, the reader, that's at fault rather than the writer.

All I know is I'm glad I got it out of the library rather than buying it - sorry Amazon!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2015 9:33 AM GMT

Achewood Volume 3: A Home for Scared People
Achewood Volume 3: A Home for Scared People
by Chris Onstad

5.0 out of 5 stars "Usually dispatched within 1 to 4 weeks." Don't make me laugh!, 1 Oct. 2010
I ordered this from Amazon on the 7th of July. I'm still waiting for it to turn up. Each time they fail to hit a delivery estimate, they just extend it again with a vague excuse and a half-hearted apology. I feel incredibly let down. If you want this book, I suggest you order it elsewhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2010 11:09 AM BST

Checklists for the New Dad: The Expectant Father's Guide to Pregnancy, Delivery, and Baby's First Year
by Joe Deyo

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really suitable for British atheists!, 22 Jan. 2009
That might seem a bit of a strange title for my review... let me explain! My wife, who's expecting our first child, got this book for me as a surprise. But what isn't made clear in the item description is that the book is written by an American for an American audience - and so contains references to OB/GYN and health insurance that aren't really helpful or relevant to me living in Britain. The book's author is also religious and the book contains prayers, scripture quotations and speaks about the baby variously as a 'blessing' and a 'gift from god'. As an atheist this just doesn't reflect the way I feel about our child. Ultimately we decided this book wasn't for us and will be exchanging it for another. Hopefully this review will help others to make a more informed decision.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2009 7:28 AM BST

The Unit - Season 3 - Complete [DVD] [2008]
The Unit - Season 3 - Complete [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Dennis Haysbert

4.0 out of 5 stars Great show, not enough of it, too expensive!, 15 Oct. 2008
What the other person said. Only eleven episodes in this season - less than half the regular slate, so even with Amazon's price reduction this is WAY too expensive. Also, bit dumb to spoiler the major plot point of the season with the cover of the DVD. :(
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2009 11:27 PM BST

The "Darkness": Permission to Rock
The "Darkness": Permission to Rock
by Dick Porter

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!, 6 Feb. 2004
Do not waste your money on this book - it's nothing more than regurgitated old quotes and reviews and provides no new information of any kind. All Dick Porter has provided are the prepositions that string the thing together. Poor.