Profile for Marco Bertaglia > Reviews

Content by Marco Bertaglia

Marco Bertaglia (Kent, United Kingdom)

A History of Western Music
A History of Western Music
by Donald Grout

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 July 2007
In my opinion, this is the best existing book on the history of western music ever published. There is a host of information, written clearly, from the ancient Greece to contemporary music. I was astonished by the quality of presentation, with continous references to recorded examples, wonderful illustrations, bits of graphs and pictures showing musical notation, etc. Not to mention the extraordinarily good, vast, reasonably-priced ancillary material. This include both online and off-line materials, and it was thanks to this book that I discovered I could download some mp3 files and also access all of Naxos music library for six months with a small additional $15. Just type "a history of western music 7e" in Google and explore what is available on the first website that comes up. If you're serious about learning the history of music, buy this book now. I can guarantee you will be happy.

Moving to Linux: Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye!
Moving to Linux: Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye!
by Marcel Gagné

1.0 out of 5 stars Deception is the First Word Springing to My Mind, 7 Aug. 2006
This book is very simple and could have been of some use to Linux beginners if it was not over-encumbered with words and poor in useful guidance. The very lengthy paragraphs do provide some tips, e.g. for the basic commands, but I expected to find more technical explanations, even though-or maybe because-I am myself a Linux "newbie".

One of the things I disliked is, for instance, the level at which the chapter on the desktop environment is pitched. The book is supposedly geared towards people who are using Windows. As such, I do not see the usefulness of explaining in pedantic verbose details how to resize a window or click on an icon. These and similar tasks that are certainly well-known by most readers!

I had just installed my favourite Linux distribution and found an excellent driver for my USB ADSL mouse. I realised I had to update the kernel because the one that cane with my distribution did not include support for a necessary module. I looked at the index of this book and found nothing to help me in the first difficult task switching from Windows and still wanting to use the modem I already used in the previous operating system.

This is just one of several possible example I could give of the lack of many important technical instructions in this book.

I did find more tips and many more useful features in the excellent book "The Linux Bible" by Christopher Negus (ISBN 0764579495), currently on Amazon marketplace as "brand new" for £5.01 vs. £7.54 for this one! I was very happy to be able to return this book to the seller for a full refund under the Distance Selling Directive.

Improve Your Written English 4e: Master the essentials of grammar, punctuation and spelling and write with greater confidence (How to)
by Marion Field

2.0 out of 5 stars Improve your English... when it's stuck at basic level!, 12 Dec. 2005
This book is good enough, except that the title is misleading for advanced learners. I was extremely disappointed to find out that I was not going to improve my English at all with this book. Very simple, standard grammar is presented very succintly. I simply could not find anything I did not already know! I would like to suggest the following title for future editions: "Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling: Master the Essentials."
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2008 2:58 PM BST