Profile for Penn Name > Reviews

Content by Penn Name

Penn Name (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Heinz Creamy and Spicy Flamin Cajun Sauce 220 ml (Pack of 8)
Heinz Creamy and Spicy Flamin Cajun Sauce 220 ml (Pack of 8)

2.0 out of 5 stars Basically "Cajun Mayonnaise" that tastes too much like a mediocre home experiment, 9 Jan. 2015
If you're wondering how a "spicy and creamy" sauce with cajun-style spices and "southern fried" tastes might work... it doesn't. There's something undefinably odd about it.

The base sauce seems to be egg and oil based, i.e. essentially mayonnaise, or something heading in that direction. The end result is reminiscent of mixing up some spices you had in your cupboard (cajun mix in this case) with some mayo, and realising that they just don't work very well together like that.

It's not all that spicy either.

This sauce isn't disgusting, and I'll use up the bottle, but I wouldn't buy it again.

Where's Hello Kitty? (Hello Kitty)
Where's Hello Kitty? (Hello Kitty)
by John R Adams

1.0 out of 5 stars Clothes-obsessed superficial rubbish, 5 July 2013
I got this as part of a deal with two Peppa Pig books (for my niece and nephew). I figured I might give this one to my niece- a Hello Kitty fan- as a surprise later on. Having looked at it though, I regretted buying it and threw it out.

I'm no Hello Kitty fanatic myself, but I thought I had a rough idea what the character was about- "innocent" cuteness (if you can call something as ludicrously commercialised as Hello Kitty "innocent"!) and friendship, suitable for a relatively young audience. This seems to be way off the mark in every respect.

For example, on one page, Kitty is dressed in an off-the-shoulder outfit that looks like something a 19-year-old would wear to a nightclub(!) That's okay if you're actually 19 years old and going to a nightclub I guess, but given that Kitty is generally presented as being a little girl who lives with her family, this seems bordering on inappropriate- both for the character and for a book mainly aimed at young girls.

But my main problem is with the book in general, which has a one-dimensional obsession with clothes and choosing Kitty's latest beautiful outfit (as well as the "Where's Hello Kitty" pages, there are other activities), and very little about her friendships or family. In the end I decided I wasn't happy letting this relentlessly stereotypical and superficial influence anywhere near my niece, and I binned it.

I know I'm going to be accused of overanalysing a throwaway kids' activity book, but it's exactly because this sort of insidious rubbish is being presented in a book aimed at young girls that it annoyed me.

While I suspect the content of this particular book was the fault of the publisher who licensed the character, rather than HK's owners (Sanrio), I'll definitely be more wary when buying HK merchandise in the future.

Qstik USB Bluetooth Dongle - V1.2 - 100 Meters
Qstik USB Bluetooth Dongle - V1.2 - 100 Meters

3.0 out of 5 stars Supplied software not suitable for Windows 7 (nor Vista), 19 Sept. 2011
The supplied version of the "BlueSoleil" software doesn't work with Windows 7, and probably not Vista either (*). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get my hands on a newer version of BlueSoleil, at least not unless I was willing to fork out the full price for it (I wasn't!)

It *does* work with the standard Windows 7 Bluetooth facilities, but those appear to be fairly basic, not including all of what BlueSoleil is meant to do.

I got this pretty cheap- and now I know why!- so I really can't complain. (Assuming that it's old stock as it doesn't list compatibility with anything newer than XP.) Not even worth sending back at this price, and it'll probably be useful at some point, so I'm not upset. But I'd definitely recommend paying a bit more for a dongle you know works with Windows 7 and/or Vista (*) if you don't fancy messing around hunting for drivers!

(*) Software and drivers that work with Windows 7 normally work with Vista and vice versa, since 7 is really just a massively improved version of Vista.

Mini Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad/iPhone 4.0 OS/Window Mobile/Symbian smartphone
Mini Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad/iPhone 4.0 OS/Window Mobile/Symbian smartphone
Offered by buycheapDG-Ships from Taiwan Station

2.0 out of 5 stars No more drivers for Android users??!!!, 19 Sept. 2011
I bought this hoping to get it working with an HTC Wildfire S (Android) smartphone using advice given by another reviewer in this thread. Unfortunately, even with the "Bluekeyboard JP" software I couldn't get it working.

(It did work with my computer- though that's not why I bought it! So I can say that in use, it's passable for a cheap rubber keyboard- though there were some odd problems with the occasional sticking or repeating key. Whether this was a mechanical problem with the keyboard, or a software problem with the keyboard or my computer's Bluetooth dongle, I can't say.)

The keyboard comes with the Android driver which you're supposed to copy onto the phone's memory card then install. The drivers install okay, but require "free" online registration before use... which fails repeatedly (even though my connection was fine).

I searched the error message ("Activation failed. Please retry before using software. Application will now close") and Google turned up a discussion on the site of Teksoft- who apparently wrote the drivers- where they claimed that "The activation error is because the Chinese OEM manufacturer that created the mini Bluetooth Keyboard, didn't renew their license agreement so all the allocated licenses have been used." I'm guessing that the manufacturers and/or the distributors don't care about this once they left the factory.

Are you impressed? Me neither!

While I can't be 100% sure that this refers to the same keyboard I have, or even applies to all distributors of the keyboard (hard to tell as box has no identifying marks), it's very likely that it does. I notice this product title has now been changed so that it no longer lists Android compatibility- which I agree with, as I don't recommend it for use with Android phones.

Belkin Pro Series VGA Monitor Extension Cable 1.8m
Belkin Pro Series VGA Monitor Extension Cable 1.8m

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless cable, 25 Dec. 2010
The problems that others have mentioned with this cable aren't isolated cases. I lost the extension cable for my KVM and bought this as a replacement- very obviously degraded image with ghosting at a relatively undemanding (by modern standards) 1024 x 768 @ 85 Hz. Fortunately, I found the original cable (which dates back to 2003), and everything was fine when using that.

I'm not sure what resolutions and refresh rates this cable *is* suitable for use with. It sure as heck isn't anything that most people have used since the 1990s.

Useless.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2011 10:51 AM BST

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Word of warning - Adidas' UK sizes are half a size out, 24 Aug. 2010
Adidas trainers are a very tight fit (or at least the Sambas I had were, though I'm led to believe this applies to all of them). As far as I can see the reason is simple- Adidas's UK sizes are half a size out, compared to almost all other trainer makers'.

Most manufacturers' labels say their US size 11 shoes = UK size 10, and US size 10.5 = UK size 9.5. For some reason Adidas's say that US size 11 = UK size 10.5, and US size 10.5 = UK size 10.

So I buy a pair of UK size "10" Sambas, and they're tight. Actually tight enough to affect my walking style (should have spotted this in the shop, but I was in a hurry and they seemed okay strolling up and down a couple of times). In fact, I'd say they were about *half-a-size* too small... hmm, that's probably not a coincidence.

I should make clear that I'm *always* a size 10 trainer, and the only other pair I can remember being a bit tight for their own good were... some Adidas Super Sambas I had a few years back.

Anyway, I don't care what Adidas says- their UK size "10" Sambas are actually a UK 9.5 and I should've gone half a size bigger to get a "real" size 10.

You may want to consider doing the same.

Tiesto - Copenhagen [Blu-Ray] [2001]
Tiesto - Copenhagen [Blu-Ray] [2001]
Dvd ~ Tiesto

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch DJ Tiesto bung some records on!, 17 Sept. 2009
Saw some of this when someone I know had it on in the background.

When it comes down to it, this release showcases the high resolution of Blu-Ray being used to capture some beautifully sharp visuals of a half-decent looking show centred on... some guy playing his record collection onstage.

Seriously, I know there's some skill involved in DJing, and I know Tiesto has recorded some of his own material in the past. Even so, a concert centred around someone playing some else's records onstage is the ultimate (and ludicrous) conclusion to the 1990s lionisation of "superstar DJs".

Hunting High And Low
Hunting High And Low
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Way more than just "Take On Me" and some other songs, 20 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Hunting High And Low (Audio CD)
I've had "Hunting High and Low" for over 20 years, but it was only listening to it again recently that I consciously realised just how good it really is.

What's great is that it manages to fit way more depth, intelligence and atmosphere into the 80s synthpop mould than you'd expect, yet still remains a fantastic pop album.

"Take On Me" may be the best-known song here (in part because it was their only major American hit). It's a good song, but possibly overplayed at the expense of the real masterpiece at the heart of the album, "The Sun Always Shines on TV"- a UK number one, and deservedly so.

The most generic 80s track here is "Love is Reason"- actually quite decent in its own right, but this simply highlights the fact that most of the other non-single songs are way better than the filler you'd expect from a debut album. I mean, "Living a Boy's Adventure Tale" is brilliant.

Morten Harket's singing is one very obvious reason for this album being a cut above the typical 80s synthpop offerings, but not the only one; aside from the songs, there are also some nice touches with the arrangements, like the clarinet in "Living a Boy's Aventure Tale" or the voices and strings in the middle of "I Dream Myself Alive".

Better than you'd have any right to expect from a debut, Hunting High and Low may be pop, but it's certainly not disposable, and it still sounds great over 20 years later.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2009 3:15 PM BST

Brother MK232BZ - Non-laminated tape - red on white - Roll (1.2 cm x 8 m) - 1 roll(s)

2.0 out of 5 stars Stick to black if fading is an issue, 4 Oct. 2008
If you have a Brother labeller that takes "M Tape" carts, then you should know that while the labels with black text (or at least the black-on-white and black-on-yellow ones) have more than acceptable fade resistance for most uses, the same can't be said of those with coloured text.

Blue-on-white performs abysmally in this respect, and while this red-on-white tape isn't quite as bad, it'll still fade within weeks if exposed to too much direct sunlight. Even with "normal" indirect sunlight, it's probably not your best long-term bet.

Should you use it? You can make up your own mind; with the above caveats, it's acceptable, and at least when it *does* fade it doesn't look as nasty as the blue. For longer term use though, I'd recommend sticking to black text.

No Title Available