ARRAY(0xb5811108)

Profile for kate > Reviews

Content by kate

kate "Kate" (Aberdeen Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Dexter - Complete Season 1-8 [DVD]
Dexter - Complete Season 1-8 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael C. Hall
Price: 54.00

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've never seen this - you are in for a treat, 14 Mar 2014
I've watched Breaking Bad (fabulous, funny and dark), Game of Thrones ( love the characters and high drama not to mention the dragons - very cool) and umpteen other "good" boxed sets. However Dexter tops the lot. This is drama at its absolute best. The whole idea of a serial killer with a moral conscience who doesn't understand the concept of a moral conscience is riveting. The characters are well drawn, not always likeable, but plausible. Dexter himself is very well played and you find yourself "rooting for him" every step of the way. I loved this - the concept - the acting - the development. Every new Season has something completely new and original to add. It is truely more (much more) than the sum of its parts. It surprises, it shocks, it entertains. This is a rare and special thing - it is original. I am very sad that it has come to an end and hope (maybe forlornly),that there is some way in which there can be a season 9. I feel very envious of anyone who hasn't seen this sterling series. I wish I could watch it again with virgin eyes so to speak.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 26 Nov 2013
I now have a new favourite dress. What a beautiful colour, so true and and such depth. It does as it says on the tin as they say. I love it. I am a "Dylon" convert and am now looking at other "tired" items in my wardrobe that I can revitalize. I read the reviews and did as they suggested ie read the instructions carefully. I couldn't wait so used ordinary salt. it did the job. Did I say how happy I am with the result?

Big Brother
Big Brother
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: Big Brother (Kindle Edition)
This is an intelligently written book about a very sensitive issue. Shriver writes a thought provoking book and the message is I think the only realistic one available given the nature of the subject matter. She cleverly deals with the whole concept of "the elephant in the room" and the fact that there is no tried and tested way to address this particular issue. I loved her ending. It was realistic (eventually) although there is an element of "why can't life be like the Persil ads?" But at the end of the day she's right - in my opinion.

Hyundai i10, i20, i30 Car Seat Covers in Flowers - Full Set
Hyundai i10, i20, i30 Car Seat Covers in Flowers - Full Set
Offered by S B Seat Covers
Price: 59.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I love these - they are bright, fun and different., 29 Sep 2013
I love these covers - they are bright and fun. They have been very widely admired and always induce a smile. The only criticism I have is that I have an i10 and they are a little on the big side. They don't slip or anything they just bag a little. Overall I am extremely happy with my covers.

The Orchard Book Of Aesop's Fables
The Orchard Book Of Aesop's Fables
by Michael Morpurgo
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book to read to children., 29 Sep 2013
I have always loved Aesop's fables and this book provides a good introduction to children. The stories are short and straightforward. The illustrations are just beautiful. The children thoroughly enjoy listening to them and have fun thinking about and discussing the possible moral of the story (they always come up with good and sometimes surprising suggestions.) I have also used this book as a starting point for drama - the children "flesh out" the story a little more. This is a good book.

The Sims 3: Commemorative Edition (PC DVD)
The Sims 3: Commemorative Edition (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly addictive game, 29 Sep 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I must confess I love The Sims. This is an excellent addition. It's lots of fun and highly addictive - hours can pass (very quickly.) I would recommend going online and finding out some "cheats" before playing this (especially regarding the death flower.) I hated the zombies though - they're an absolute pain. Again there's a "cheat" to solve the problem and it took me ages to figure out I could lock the doors. The best character, I think, is the witch. Good fun but I spent so long on it I had to uninstall it (for summer).

The Orchard Book of Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales
The Orchard Book of Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales
by Martin Waddell
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful stories, beautiful book - mint condition, 29 Sep 2013
This is a beautiful book - in every sense of the word. Magical stories (not all with a happy Disneyish ending!!) The illustrations are just beautiful. When I read The Little Mermaid to my class some of the children were almost moved to tears and remarked "That's better than the film." We were then able to discuss story endings in a very meaningful way and the children suggested alternative endings - only one or two plumped for the "happy ever after" so beloved of modern tales. I would heartily recommend this book.

White and Yellow Daisy Car Aerial Ball Antenna Topper
White and Yellow Daisy Car Aerial Ball Antenna Topper
Offered by Aerialballs
Price: 2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Funky little daisy, 29 Sep 2013
I love my little daisy topper. It's very sweet and has been very greatly admired mostly by other women, but also by a couple of guys. I bought another for a colleague who pestered me to find out where I bought it (and she's not at all girly!) I'm very happy with it.

3-Year SquareTrade Warranty + Accident Protection for Kindle Keyboard (Free 3G + Wi-Fi)
Offered by SquareTrade Ltd
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm so glad I took out the insurance, 2 Sep 2012
I bought my kindle a year ago and took it with me when I went camping this summer. I was gutted to find that the screen had cracked when I unpacked it. I phoned Square Deal and after a brief conversation I was assured another kindle would be sent to me. Three days later I received a the 3G model (which was an upgrade and more expensive than the kindle with keyboard I originally owned) I printed off a returns label and sent off my damaged kindle at no expense to myself. I am extremely happy with this insurance and think it is well worth the money for the excellent service provided and peace of mind.

Never Trust a Rabbit
Never Trust a Rabbit
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I Loved this book so much I bought it twice, 25 May 2012
These are the most amazing set of short stories since Roald Dahl, which definitely pales by comparison. This has notched up to the next level. Compelling, dark and disturbing but best of all very, very readable. It's the equivalent of a midnight snack or a forbidden treat - you ought not to want it or like it - but you do!!! Some of the stories are just so droll and clever but Engine Of Desire is something else - horribly, horribly fascinating and wierd - really - something else!!
I first bought this book at Manchester airport - buy 2 get one free, years ago when it was first published. (I was going to Kos) this was several years ago. I bought the Kindle edition for my holiday to Tenerife at Xmas and although I had over 200 books on the kindle at the time. I read the whole thing and was favourably impressed yet again at its briliance.
I know it's Dell boy speak but please "buy this you won't be disappointed" you will be unable to get these of the stories out of your mind they will haunt you and colour your perception, albeit briefly. Literature at its best and the most enjoyable read ever.

Page: 1 | 2