Profile for Mrs. T. Drysdale > Reviews

Content by Mrs. T. Drysdale

Mrs. T. Drysdale "guffscingfroot" (london, london United Kingdom)

How To Train Your Dragon [DVD]
How To Train Your Dragon [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jay Baruchel

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good., 25 Aug. 2010
In my household insertion of a Dreamworks DVD is a great way to clear the room for the over fives and Pixar a way of getting fives to fifties to take a seat.

Ok, so it's not the most balanced yardstick, but Pixar generally have the upper hand on wit, story, character and pan-generational appeal and Dreamworks the monopoly on horrible also-rans. Ok, "Help me I'm a Fish" isn't by either and that's perhaps the weakest children's animated film of all time.

Have you ever suffered `Flushed Away' or `Over the Hedge'? Can I swear? Can I have those hours of my life back please?

This film however should get Pixar worried. I went along to the cinema with my kids. I was full of fake dad-enthusiasm, then felt a bit sheepish because I was hooked from the opening scenes. It looks great, it races along, the dialogue is great fun, visually it's stunning and yes, it gets you all emotional. Yes it's just a bit of fun, but hiding your awkward shiny eyes as you root for the good guys is perhaps something we dads can get away with in the darkness of the cinema!

This film is something of an oddity in our times. It's really fantastic entertainment, but somehow it wasn't hyped beyond belief and none of my friends (and they all have young kids now) have heard of it. Very odd. I've been a bit of an ambassador since and spread the word.

A real treat. I think the November release for the DVD is pretty good really. On a November Saturday night when the rain is thumping down and the family is getting irritating, sit them down and watch with them.

That's boys and girls alike by the way. The heroine has attitude and swagger without being a foul role model like a Bratz doll and the main character (a boy) succeeds and fails in equal measure. Both are awkward, difficult and willing to learn as long as they don't lose their cool!

A stunner - enjoy. And no I don't care if the accents weren't right, or the story wasn't like the book or one of helmets wasn't historically accurate. Blah blah blah. Relax and put your feet up.

Ok, that's off my chest and my wife will hope I'll stop going on about it... until the DVD is released and then I will sit her down with a glass of red and the kids at our feet...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2011 1:17 PM BST

Josef Seibel Women's Nature 16 Boot Marone 65192 89219 3 UK
Josef Seibel Women's Nature 16 Boot Marone 65192 89219 3 UK
Offered by Schuh1000

2.0 out of 5 stars v comfy but leak, 13 Oct. 2009
I bought my Josef Seibel Nature 16's less than a month ago. They are really comfy and I love the design but after one short walk from the car to my kids' school in the rain one of them leaked. Then leaked again this morning as I walked down a dewy wet path. I'm taking them back tomorrow. I am hoping I just got a dud boot as I love them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2009 7:10 PM BST

Chase The Dragon
Chase The Dragon

5.0 out of 5 stars overlooked., 11 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Chase The Dragon (Audio CD)
It's 2008. I'm 41. I think I was about 18 when I heard this album (switching off? you will be 41 soon, just you watch) and I confess to buying it for the cover, I was crazy about prog rock at the time and loved YES, Roger Dean etc, so bought this on the basis of the cover.

And then I bothered playing the album. It's 2008 and if you are in marketing, then listen up, it's not about smoke and mirrors and perception, it's about the actual item. So here is the moment that they teach you about.

The needle drops (yes it was turntable, this was long ago) and my spine chilled, the opening track was/is just a awesome - really atmospheric, The rest, well I spent my time deciding which was the poor track based on the fact that they were all great - it's really great rock album, if you rate melody of course.

Anyway, tonight I tuned into Radio 6 music and Bruce Dickinson was droning on... now he is the grandaddy of metal, don't get me wrong, anyone with a career this long, a pilot's licence, etc must be cool in a way, but I have to say he presides over the kind of music that is all power chords and adrenalin. Perhaps he should play some Magnum and introduce some melody and subtle tracks in there too Alistair

The La's
The La's

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 stars actually...., 12 Jun. 2004
This review is from: The La's (Audio CD)
...or 7? How often do you get knocked for 6, and then 10 odd years later still get the same spine-tingles when you hear any track?
This is really one of the best guitar pop albums of all time, and you can hold Revolver, Pet Sounds etc up to scrutiny - tell me this isn't as beautiful.....
Utterly, intoxicating - the La's should have redfined guitar pop - a comparison between the La's and mainstream Chav bands like Oasis is laughable - The La's should have been spearheading the guitar revival. So Lee Mavers was so pigged-off he left us with one album, and he hated it - but it's truly beautiful - it's the tightest, sweetest, angriest pop you could wish to hear.
Call me naive, but they meant this - even if Lee Mavers hated it, they recorded it because they loved it - I can't get that vibe from so many new bands -they just lack the passion and anger.
Kings of Leon excepted - now there's a rare band - different sort of thing, but I got knocked for 6 again....