Profile for Kat Watt > Reviews

Content by Kat Watt

Kat Watt "katprocrastinate" (London)

First Love (Bonus Edition)
First Love (Bonus Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Emmy's honest and thought-provoking lyrics work overall with her catchy tunes, 19 Feb 2010
I stumbled across Emmy the Great's (or Emma-Lee Moss) "First Love" after listening to Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" on youtube - some clever fan had grouped them together on a playlist. I was immediately struck by Emmy herself; her personality seemed plain and honest as did her song writing. The use of instruments on the track and later the lyrics and the story behind it also lived up to these first impressions. Tracks like "24", "Edward Is Deadward", "Bad Things Coming, We Are Safe" and "Two Steps Forward" were painful and accurate accounts of emotion and attachement and "We Almost Had a Baby", "MIA", "City Song" and "Canopies and Drapes" also confirmed by attachment to Emmy's lyrical content of religious doubt, relationship dynamic and childhood memory with a splattering of played down drama. "The Easter Parade" was the last song to really grab my attachement, gradually growing on me as the track wound up to a grabbing conclusion. The other tracks continue in the general mood of catchy guitar based melodies and Moss's sometimes bluntly honest and succinct lyrics. An album most certainly worth a listen, especially for fans of a similiar genre or associated acts; if a bit heavy on the content considering Emmy's style.

Alas I Cannot Swim [Explicit]
Alas I Cannot Swim [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Marling stands out from other female singer-songwriter, gripping and haunting, 19 Feb 2010
I became aware of Laura Marling after Noah and the Whale sprang onto the scene with that darn catchy summer jingle of 2008. I was already a great fan of Emmy the Great (Marling was Lee's replacement after she left Noah and the Whale) and decided to check out a few tracks from her London Town EP. I was mildly impressed with London Town, but pretty much let her slip from my music radar. Then she burst onto the scene with Alas I Cannot Swim and after hearing the album several times at a friend's house I bought it for myself. I fell in love with the vivid lyrics of tracks like "Ghosts", "My Manic and I" and "Night Terror". I must admit, a shiver went up my spine after listening to the third. Other tracks like "You're No God" and "Cross Your Fingers" with the departure from the gripping sound of Marling's voice and guitar alone was welcomed and gradually grew on me and I even harbour a particular liking for the interlude: "Crawled Out of the Sea" which for me climax as a carcophony of glorious musical sound. The title track itself was a surprising hidden gem after the chilling lyrics but emptyish sound of "Your Only Doll (Dora)". Overall, Marling delivers and improves upon the first inklings of potential talent displayed in her debut EP. I highly anticipate her sophomore album: "I Speak Because I Can" and think she can only go from strength to strength after such an honest and likeable debut album.

Volume One
Volume One

4.0 out of 5 stars Deschannel's boppish likeability and Ward's musical earthiness are a great combo, 19 Feb 2010
This review is from: Volume One (MP3 Download)
I heard that Zooey Deschannel was collaborating with M Ward via my friend - an avid Deschannel fan - after we saw "500 Days of Summer". I loved the soundtrack to the film and after learning some of She & Him's tracks had been sampled on the motion picture, I decided to check them out. I love Deschannel's vocals - they are very likeable, as is her whole personality, very sweet and early '60s with pure and happily bopping along tunes. M Ward seems to ground the whole mood with his reliable skill and input that make the songs meaningful. The slower songs like "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" and "You Really Got a Hold On Me" made a welcomed change from this steady bopping pace, and I think they got the balance between slow melancholic ballads and merry tunes right. Particular tracks that stood out for me were: "Sentimental Heart", "Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?" and "I Was Made For You".

Drunken Trees EP
Drunken Trees EP

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing beautiful old world type of sound from young talents, 19 Feb 2010
This review is from: Drunken Trees EP (MP3 Download)
I came across First Aid Kit from a recommendation in a newspaper - which is a very unusual way of finding new music, especially for me. However, I like the short bio I read and decided to check out their myspace. I was not disappointed. Their music was poignant, haunting and varied maintaining a distinct and pleasing sound. I knew immediately after listening to all the tracks there that I had to download something of theirs. I thought this was the perfect place and start and their debut EP hasn't disappointed. They seem very charming people, with gripping songs and a rare old type of sound that isn't hear much these days - especially by young musicians. I can't wait and look forward to hearing more from them.