Profile for m mowbray > Reviews

Poirot - Complete Season 12 [ 2009 ]
Dvd ~ David Suchet
Offered by IMSSALES
Price: 9.98

2.0 out of 5 stars BAD FORM AMAZON AS CAPT HASTINGS WOULD SAY (note stars for amazon not the item!), 24 April 2014
I bought this as a present and it arrived promptly only to see Dutch on the case. I got this off my friends wish list and checked to see if there was a version with English on the box. No trace. I then trawled thru the reviews and many thanks to those who assured me that it plays English and only the sub titles are in Dutch.

I have to say that I am very disappointed that the only indication on the listing that the cover was in Dutch but viewed in English was not very prominent. I understand others have complained about its non availability In the uk first, but really that is not amazons fault but that of the production company. I would have expected it to be clearer on the Dutch writing plays in English. jolly ad form amazon. Hence the low starring!

Children Of The Stones: The Complete Series [DVD] [1977]
Children Of The Stones: The Complete Series [DVD] [1977]
Dvd ~ Gareth Thomas
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA
Price: 24.98

4.0 out of 5 stars I remember this first time round., 9 Jun 2005
I remember this first time round on childrens ITV (Pauses to catch breath as old age creeps up and hits round head with a walking stick!). I have not seen the dvd, so am writing the review from my memory of the series seen as a child, and I have to say it has stuck with me these 28 years. I loved it at the time, and was caught up in the spookiness of the story, people turning in to zombies and Iain Cuthbertson as the high priest and Gareth Thomas (pre-Blake's 7) as the scientist trying to find out what was going on. I agree with some of the other reviews, that it has a kind of Village of the Damned/Wicker Man feel to it. It certainly had an atmosphere about it so much so that it made such an impact that years on I made my then boyfriend detour on a trip to Cornwall so I could go to Avebury where it was filmed - and yes the whole village has an amazing atmosphere and I expected people to come out of shops going "happy day". Oh the nostalgia.

Locksley
Locksley
by Nicholas Chase

5.0 out of 5 stars Why couldn't Hollywood have done this as a movie!, 2 Jun 2005
This review is from: Locksley (Paperback)
I first bought this book back in the 80's looking for something to read whilst I had a coffee and indulged in some people watching. Needless to say the only thing I indulged in was losing myself in a very plausible story about Robert of Locksley. The story is told from the POV of Robin himself as a memoire in his old age. It starts in the crusades and we are launched into intrigue straight away, with young Robin being required to save his king whilst acting as body guard to his future queen. It goes through Robin's return to England and his fight against the injustices meted out on the peasants by their Norman overlords, the forming of the "Merry Men" and how they safe guard the ransom against theft so that King Richard can be released. But this book is so much more. It doesn't just stop at the return of Richard to England, it moves on showing how Robin's life is intertwined with John Lackland and his Mother Eleanor of Aquitain. Chase paints a wonderful picture of life on the crusades, in Sherwood Forest (the gong farmers are particulary good!), the court of the time and London and its taverns and stews. It is colourful and I could see what he was talking about in my mind. Like the myth this tale is populated with characters that we know and love and ones that are created for the story, who we come to care for and about. There is a nice twist to the Marion/Robin/Little John angle.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes the Robin Hood myths and to anyone who likes a bloody good romp in history. Sadly I have never seen anything else by this author, which is a shame. If it is an indication of how much I enjoy this book the pages are discoloured with use and wearing thin and the cover has to be treated with loving care everytime I read it. Guys don't be put off that a girly has written this review - every guy I have lent it too has enjoyed it.

The Car Man [DVD] [2001]
The Car Man [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Adventures In Motion Pictures
Price: 13.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Carmen goes Brando and knocks your socks off!, 22 Mar 2002
This review is from: The Car Man [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I bought this on the strength of Swan Lake, but as the music is Bizet,I wasn't sure what to expect, especially after the stunning performances by Adam Cooper as the Swan and Scott Ambler as the Prince. Well Swan Lake it ain't. The Car Man is aptly described as an "auto-erotic thriller" - and you do feel at the end of Act 1 that a cold shower is in order. The story is clear cut Hollywood, and Bournes choreography in a contemporary setting is as ever superb - I am a big fan of this man and his Dance. He is not afraid to challenge convention and give a new twist to an old story. So saying some may find the story a little cliched - watch the interview with the man, and you will understand his reasoning. The whole piece sizzles with lust and violence - no wonder the mayor of Carmens home town was up in arms - she is a bit of a slut in this. Alan Vincent does NOT look like a dancer and his performance delights. Plaudits go to Will Kemp and Etta Murfitt - just watch their pas de deux and its refrain at the end. The dancers are as always excellent - though I was disappointed to see Scott Ambler relegated to comic relief - he still looks as fit now at forty something as he did in his mid 30s dancing the Prince - so come on Mr Bourne don't cast him aside yet. If you want sex, rocknroll and ballet this is the one for you - prudes and traditionalists beware though!

Swan Lake [DVD] [1998]
Swan Lake [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Adam Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising dance/drama with a tragic story., 7 Mar 2002
This review is from: Swan Lake [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
This is a triumph of dance and drama. The whole thing has me mesmerised each time I watch it. It has humour and evokes feelings of sadness and sympathy for the characters. Adam Cooper is superb as the swan and his dance is breath taking, representing perfectly the power and beauty of this wonderful bird. His performance as the evil doppleganger is equally as impressive, as he dirty dances his way into the queens affections. It is always Adam Cooper who is highlighted in these reviews, however Scott Ambler as the prince should not be forgotton. He mixes drama with dance perfectly and without his performance as the weak, shy, loveless prince who simply wants love and affection this production would be nothing. This is a wonderful production that stays with you long after you have finished watching it.