Profile for B. Carter > Reviews

Content by B. Carter

B. Carter "comfortablynumb" (SWUK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Lenovo IdeaCentre B305 21.5 inch All-in-One PC (AMD Athlon II X3 400e 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 7 Home Premium)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent PC!, 9 Jun 2011
Lenovo IdeaCentre B305. Compact styled PC. This replaced my DELL E520 dual core PC.

I considered this style of PC only because it was on a special deal from Amazon. After checking the spec' I slowly became more and more impressed with it, my scepticism fading as I read positive reviews. The setup was easy and quick and the screen display is stunning! On top of this, the screen is touch sensitive and I now have fun playing with this aspect of design. Lenovo have included a virtual keyboard on the login screen if you like a choice. At 21.5" the screen is generous and the design allows the rest of the PC to be built behind the screen. Being so well designed that it is small and I no longer have to give space for a large desktop box.

I purchased a wireless keyboard and mouse to get rid of more clutter, but the Lenovo KBD has dedicated functions that are available via a special key. For this reason you may wish to keep the system as it is. I connected a spare SATA HDD via USB and this became available instantly. The only issue I had with this is that the default setup configuration is to boot from an external device, but is easily changed by visiting the setup system during boot up.

I think that this is a great machine for the deal I had and it is also worth the full price of £700. I am a converted sceptic and now a supporter of the idea of compact design. I use the PC for writing and surfing, photography and video work. The built in sound is also acceptable, having a full range of frequencies. The screen is full HD too.
Go and get one!

A Dictionary of Science (Oxford Paperback Reference)
A Dictionary of Science (Oxford Paperback Reference)
by John Daintith

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended as a personal habit!, 8 Jun 2011
This may sound nerdy, but browsing a science dictionary is a perfect way to spend 30mins! As a 22 y/o I discovered (then) a science dictionary and was fascinated at the way I "hopped" from entry to entry via the references included with most items. That is a general comment; in this case the same is true and I still love to do this. If I do not have a reason to look up an article, I open the book at random and read on. Fascinating behaviour!

There are many dictionaries like this but many are specific to a subject if that is preferred i.e. Astronomy, Physics, Geology... Take a look at the "Junior" versions too.

Black 2.4Ghz Wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse - With Nano USB Dongle UK Layout

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy!, 8 Jun 2011
I purchased this set to go with my Lenovo Ideacentre PC. To go offtack slightly, the Lonovo should come packaged with this set to make it totally wire-free.
The only issue I have at this time is that it does not work for extended periods when I use rechargeable AAA batteries. This is my preference, but as these batt's have a lower working voltage, the keyboard quickly becomes inactive.

The keyboard however, is comfortable to use and has a nice sound and feel; the mouse has a useful set of buttons that flip me foreward and back through a series of webpages when I am online. For £20 this is a great buy!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2011 4:30 PM GMT

The Ascent Of Man : Complete BBC Series [DVD] [1973]
The Ascent Of Man : Complete BBC Series [DVD] [1973]
Dvd ~ The Ascent of Man

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for nostalgia!, 8 Jun 2011
I have often thought about being able to see this series again on the Beeb or even UK History! Inspired, I did a search on Amazon for "BBC series DVD" and found dozens of great documantary DVDs.

This particular set is a bit of a mixture of responses for me; as the series is so old and recorded on 35mm film, the image quality is very grainy. To be fair, this was expected, but on modern TVs, it is too conspicuous. That said, the content is still inspiring and interesting. If you have ever enjoyed the company of Jacob Bronowski, you will still be happy to hear and see him discussing his ideas and insights in his eloquent and somewhat thoughtful manner.

To give you a personal experience, I have recently been nagged by the thought processes that result in 'belief and certainty' and was staggered to see this very subject titled in one of the chapters. The scene was Auschwitz, kneeling by a mass grave. Instantly, I recalled his emotional but calm plea for people to suspend their certainty and consider the possiblility that they may be wrong!

The words of this great man are still valid, (of course) and his style of presentation still comfortable to view, so if you can tolerate the old technology imaging, you will enjoy spending time with so pleasant a man as Dr. Bronowski.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2013 4:44 PM GMT

Humanism: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Humanism: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Stephen Law

5.0 out of 5 stars One of an amazing series by OUP., 8 Jun 2011
First, I wish to declare that this series by Oxford Universtity Press is extensive, currently having in excess of 200 titles of all interests. My interests are scientific and I view any book favourably if it is about a science subject. As I learned more about science my beliefs in the supernatural realm faded and have now been completely removed from my personal worldview.

As a caring person, with regard for other people and all living things, I felt myself becoming more aligned to Humanism, so this book is usefull for me to test this alliance. I do find though that the style of this book is somewhat apologetic, in that the author explores the logic of religion to demolish their conclusions by way of parallels. The fact is I think, religion is simply not a valid life-model regardless of belief or otherwise in a creation-designer. The claim or belief that all aspects that make a person good, and able to live a valuable and constructive life are derived from a religious base are nonesense as any person is able to learn what activities and behaviours are productive for him/herself and this learning is derived from experience rather than subscribing to a prescribed set of morals and standards!

Anyway, if you are interested in the discussion of Theism and other 'isms, the current views of the world and the Cosmos and the place of supernatural ideas then this may be a good read for you. If not, then in the series of books so far published, you are sure to find something you are comfortable with. (The series is called "A Very Short Introduction")

The Richard Dawkins Collection (The Genius of Charles Darwin,  The Enemies of Reason and The Root of All Evil?) [DVD]
The Richard Dawkins Collection (The Genius of Charles Darwin, The Enemies of Reason and The Root of All Evil?) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Dawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Will this man ever learn?, 8 Jun 2011
With great respect to RD, I wonder sometimes why he challenges religious extremists. For my taste, I prefer a straight description of the way the world is viewed via the science-informed paradigm. Mind you, it is of course illuminating to see the way the 'extremism' warps the way 'extremists' project their certainties when judging rational thinkers or declared atheists. For example, in an interview with a fundamentalist Muslim in Pakistan, atheists are blamed for the way western women dress, described by him as whores! Further, he implies that it is the role of men to ensure that women dress properly! - presumably in a bin liner...

Despite RD's frustration, he shows clearly that thinkers on the religious side are drawn toward CERTAINTY while scientific thinkers are drawn by a thrilling engagement with the reality of uncertainty. If a person is absolutely certain about his beliefs, then he will do his best to spread them and share them with others, never becoming aware that certainty is an illusion - as shown in enemies of reason. Here, an American pastor declares his mission is to make sure that children and adults are steered (by him) away from Hell by way of devotion to his world-view!

Although I find the interviews with fundamentalist religionists worrying, I still love to view the series over and over. Well done Prof Dawkins for letting us see the way these peole express their beliefs.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Supreme Compact Camera., 21 Sep 2008
I have been using cameras for 30 years, switching to digital in 2001 with a simple Kodak 3400 with built in viewfinder.
I then purchased a Fuji Finepix S5000, which looked and felt like an SLR, but everything, including the zoom was battery powered and time consuming when in a hurry!

I decided to go back to a real D-SLR choosing a Nikon D40x but when I went to look at one for real, I fell instantly for the Fuji S9600 in the same display cabinet. Manual zoom means the the camera goes instantly into ready mode as it does not have to set up the lens using time and battery power. In my hands it felt solid and comfortable, giving access to all of the buttons and the control wheel, which are perfectly situated around the body. Manual exposure is a dream to use through the eyepiece; the extreme macro facitilty (1cm) gives amazing images of flowers and insects and the colour settings (through the menus) are impressive. Also, the camera has slots for both Fuji xD and common CF cards.

The down-sides to this camera are the eyepiece LCD display which is hard to use to focus manually; but the camera has a button which focuses instantly using the AF and motor. The focus ring is impossible to use manually, but I think it is redundant anyway. Night time photography is difficult as it is hard to get AF to work and harder to see the image clearly on the LCD screen.

Being retired and indulgent, I later purchased the Nikon D40x also, but if I am going out for a trip I take my Fuji S9600 rather than the Nikon, simply because it is so easy to use and I don't need to carry anything else. I use the Nikon when I am prepared to take the time needed to change lenses and use a tripod and set things up properly. A different story!

I would reccommend this camera to anyone who has some knowledge or interest in controlling their camera and feels they will use it to explore photography further.

Brian Carter
Plymouth Devon

Iiyama - B2403WS ProLite 24" Wide Format TFT Screen (2 ms) HDMI
Iiyama - B2403WS ProLite 24" Wide Format TFT Screen (2 ms) HDMI

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!, 4 July 2008
I did the usual research and was tempted by this model. Ordered it and was distressed to see a large dark horizontal band taking out the third quarter down, the last quarter of the screen displayed fuzziness.

I was relieved to see that this cleared after a few minutes, but within a month, returned to stay. I made the mistake of contacting Iiyama via their website, who quickly exchanged it, collecting the faulty device. Unfortunately, they exchanged it with a used screen, probably one that too, was returned to them for repair. Although it is working well, I am nagged by the PAT test label on the back, reminding me that this was previously a corporate monitor.

Contrast:
The spec says 2000:1, but I do not think I can see any difference between the screen images when DCR is turned on and off.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2008 9:04 PM GMT

The Wall - Live in Berlin [DVD]
The Wall - Live in Berlin [DVD]
Dvd ~ Roger Waters

5.0 out of 5 stars World Disaster Appeal., 5 May 2003
At last the DVD is out! It is great to see this gig again, this time with the cock-ups fixed, (Sinead O'Connor sings with full backup from the band). The Wall in constructed using large Polystyrene blocks as the show proceeds and eventually, to mirror the liberation of the Eastern Bloc countries, a resent event then, in 1989, the hero 'Pink' losses his protective Wall and is exposed to his peers by external forces, (The Worm Judge). The destruction is spectacular and the stage is then filled with greats such as Van Morrison, Marianne Faithful, Brian Adams and more.
I think that this gig led on to the well respected "In the Flesh" concert which is a must for Pink Floyd and Roger Waters fans.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3