Profile for B. Carter > Reviews

Content by B. Carter

B. Carter "comfortablynumb" (SWUK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Problems of Philosophy
The Problems of Philosophy
by Bertrand Russell
Price: 2.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Philosophy ideas to ponder..., 11 April 2013
This is such a good book to have nearby; it is small and easy to read. Russell starts by considering the attributes of his table and pointing out several obvious aspects of this or any other object: hardness, colour, surface, etc. Then leads us to the (also obvious) notion that all perceptible qualities of any object are not those of its constituent parts. Ultimately, the atoms that form an object do not have, as intrinsic features hardness, solidity, colour or anything that we observe with senses! The attributes that we observe are those of a large number of its parts; hardness for example is something extra! It gives support to the idea that "the whole is more than the sum of its parts!" Have a good read...

DIGIFLEX 2.5 Sata to USB Hard Drive Caddy HDD Enclosure Case Laptop and PC parts
Offered by Digiflex
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good way to use a spare 2.5" HDD., 11 April 2013
I had a dead laptop with a working HDD and now I have a spare, portable external drive for my music. Cool!

Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black
Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black
Price: 47.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value at 55!, 11 April 2013
Well, 1TB of space in such a small package. The size of a 2,5" SATA drive, no external power source to take up a plug socket and silent running. I love it!

Lectures on Quantum Mechanics (Dover Books on Physics)
Lectures on Quantum Mechanics (Dover Books on Physics)
by Paul A. M. Dirac
Price: 6.73

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a mistake!, 5 Mar 2013
When I purchased this item, I had in mind books like those of lectures by Richard Feynman, i.e. "The Character of Physical Law", which is very accessible to the reader with some knowledge of Quantum Physics. This book, by the most fascinating man of British science, is however impossible to read, mainly as I am not a student with degree level math skills!

Thumbs Up Surprise Mug I'm a Twat
Thumbs Up Surprise Mug I'm a Twat
Offered by Smart Games Online
Price: 4.96

2.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive!, 5 Mar 2013
My wife purchased this for me and although I appreciate the humour, 7 is too much to pay for a corny joke!

Samsung NX100 Interchangeable Lens Camera - Black (3.0 inch AMOLED Display,14.6MP, 20-50 F51mm Lens)
Offered by TODO! TODO!
Price: 199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 200 - a bargain!, 5 Mar 2013
I gave this camera 5 stars based on the price. As it is an old model, it's price has fallen, but it is part of the Samsung NX system. I made this purchase as I wanted a large-sensor camera; this APS-C camera is such and has a magnification factor of 1.5, so the kit lens is equivalent to 30-75mm on a full-frame system such as a 35mm film camera. This camera is an amazing device to use and always seems to have a pleasant surprise for me when I explore it. Controlling the main functions from the lens is great via the iFn button,giving access to shutter, aperture, exposure compensation, WB and others without access to menus.

The case is metallic and sturdy, feels strong and comfortable in my hands and has survived a drop from a table. I have another, older Samsung with similar construction that has lived through many more drops, some at high speed!

The image quality, at 14MP, is great and colours are intense and appealing. At 100%, they have good detail, but not as good as my Nikon D40x, which has a lower pixel count with a similar size sensor.

To add to my excitement, I have also purchased a 16mm prime for around 160 and a 50-200mm lens for 140. This is a full kit for just 500! For people considering this camera as a purchase, their are other old model cameras under 250 with even greater resolution... Check them out on Amazon market place!

Kodak Genuine 10C Ink Cartridge - Coloured (420 Pages)
Kodak Genuine 10C Ink Cartridge - Coloured (420 Pages)
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget compatibles!, 5 Mar 2013
I thought I'd save a few quid and purchased a double set of 2 blacks and 2 coloured compatible cartridges. The blacks worked OK but the colour cartridges died after a short time without use.

With regard to genuine Kodak, and other makes, I wish I knew how they manage to get so little ink in these cartridges - surely it would be cheaper, considering the sophisticated design to give cartridges a greater ink capacity. However, all printer manufacturers want to maximise on the sale of consumables - what do I know about it?

Kidde 900-0233 BSI Battery Carbon Monoxide Alarm
Kidde 900-0233 BSI Battery Carbon Monoxide Alarm
Offered by Plumbing Supermarket
Price: 15.06

5.0 out of 5 stars A precaution and perhaps a life saver., 5 Mar 2013
I bought three of these, confident that my new system is safe and so far this has been confirmed. I have installed them in locations mostly used by my family. It is heartbreaking to hear of families being killed while sleeping by burners giving off carbon monoxide (CO). You may even be affected by other people poorly maintained burners or CH systems.

Installing a CO monitor is so sensible and this one is OK. It has a self-test button while the higher models even have a CO level log with a digital read-out to give even more data.

Sony CMTFX250 Mini Hi-Fi with All in One Audio System
Sony CMTFX250 Mini Hi-Fi with All in One Audio System
Offered by TODO! TODO!
Price: 199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, I think., 5 Mar 2013
I have recently become aware that I could pay several thousand pounds for an "elite" sound system. This simple stereo set is great for around 75. The sound is smooth and clear, there is little distortion when played at full volume so I am pleased with this choice.
Not much to say really, a good system...

Think: A Compelling Introduction to Philosophy
Think: A Compelling Introduction to Philosophy
by Simon Blackburn
Price: 6.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, endlessly mysterious subject..., 2 Mar 2013
Simon Blackburn writes well and is aware of the needs of struggling intellects such as myself. I am making my way into the book at several places and may not finish it soon, but that is the way I proceed with this subject. SB includes details of other books he has referenced and seems to make his and their ideas easy enough to set me thinking for many days. I recommend also the use of a dictionary of philosophy as a rapid means of reading about ideas and technical terms.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3