Profile for val > Reviews

Content by val

val

Page: 1 | 2
Sidney Chambers and The Shadow of Death (The Grantchester Mysteries)
Sidney Chambers and The Shadow of Death (The Grantchester Mysteries)
by James Runcie

2.0 out of 5 stars Come back Father Brown!, 2 May 2014
I liked the cover of the book and the central character was fairly pleasant. However, the remaining characters were unbelievable and instantly forgettable. I ploughed through the book from start to finish to enable me to discuss it with other book club members but not sure I could bring myself to read it again. GK Chesterton did this style of writing very well. Should have been left there in my humble opinion.

The Shipping News [DVD] [2002]
The Shipping News [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Kevin Spacey
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars The film or the book?, 14 Jan 2014
I would definitely give Annie Proulx's book a 5-star rating so was keen to see the film - which is all too rarely shown on TV. It is well cast and I particularly enjoyed Kevin Spacey cast as the protagonist, even though his hair colour was a bit bizarre at times. Some good comedy moments and some great scenery. So why not 5 stars for the film? I feel the book allows more insight into the feelings of all concerned. I'd have gladly seen a longer version of the film - this is only 1 hour 47 minutes, if memory serves. Nevertheless, it's well worth watching and I'm sure it'll be on my list of regular films to watch, particularly for watching alone and thinking.

Celebrations at Thrush Green
Celebrations at Thrush Green
by Miss Read

5.0 out of 5 stars Soothing, 11 Nov 2013
The Miss Read books are my comfort blanket, a source of pleasure and gentle humour when everyday life has got too hectic. Like going back to the days of my childhood plus my own teaching days. Very pleasant.

Friends at Thrush Green
Friends at Thrush Green
by Miss Read

5.0 out of 5 stars Up to the usual standard, 11 Nov 2013
The Miss Read books are my comfort blanket ie I read them when I feel unwell or when I need to escape into a gentler world for a while. As an ex-teacher I can also relate to the village school and staff. Life at a slower pace with wonderful descriptions of nature and the seasons.

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
by Robert Galbraith

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant surprise, 11 Nov 2013
I was not expecting much of this book - while I'm a Harry Potter fan, I also knew that "the casual vacancy" had not gone down well. So I started reading it and couldn't put it down! I enjoyed the wide range of characters and found the "baddie" well drawn and with a believable past and motive. Did find the protagonist (the detective) bore more than a passing ressemblance to Hagrid but that wasn't a problem. Enjoyed the portrayal of the many minor characters too.
Hope that this may be just the first in a series. Would definitely buy any sequel.

Year of Wonders
Year of Wonders
by Geraldine Brooks

3.0 out of 5 stars A very very quick read!, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Year of Wonders (Paperback)
To me this book is like reading an oldfashioned woman's magazine in the doctor's waiting room: very easy to read, nothing particularly thought - provoking, odd interesting details - and an unbelievable happy end!! I do like reading about the details of daily life during the Plague (or other distant time) but the whole novel was spoilt for me by the unbelievable characters and the unbelievable relationships. I have to say that I did not choose this book, it was the choice of my book group. Undemanding and rather a waste of time so it will be heading for the charity shop!

Die Mutter
Die Mutter
by Petra Hammesfahr

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, disturbing and offering lots of food for thought, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Die Mutter (Paperback)
Hammesfahr is 100% reliable: she gives the reader an apparently straightforward scenario and then leads him / her along a winding path, constantly giving extra information and thus changing every detail and also challenging many of the reader's own preconceptions and beliefs. The characters are well defined, varied and believable; the portrait of country life meticulously detailed with layers being peeled like the skins of an onion. It is easy to empathize with the characters. Best of all, the ending gives the reader food for thought.... so many possibilities.
A gripping read from start to finish!

Todesmuster
Todesmuster
by Norbert Horst

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Todesmuster (Paperback)
After reading "Splitter im Auge", recommended to me by a friend, I was looking forward to "Todesmuster"... only to be bitterly disappointed. Okay, there are still some interesting horticultural details - always looking for interesting new vocab! But the almost constant dialogue was extremely irritating stylistically, plus the gratuitous clumsy descriptions of sex were just that - clumsy and boring.
Will I read another Horst novel? Possibly..... but only if it seems to be aiming for the standard achieved in "Splitter..."

Sommerhaus, später
Sommerhaus, später
by Judith Hermann

4.0 out of 5 stars A selection of short stories, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Sommerhaus, später (Paperback)
A very varied collection of short stories by a writer previously unknown to me. The actual Sommerhaus später story brought tears to my eyes. Sometimes whimsical, sometimes quite lightweight. An ideal summer holiday read. I also liked the actual small size of the book itself, it fitted easily into my pocket.

Johanna
Johanna
by Felicitas Hoppe

1.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Johanna (Paperback)
I was looking forward to reading this. Now I can read just about anything but this had me totally beaten. Pretentious and boring.

Page: 1 | 2