Profile for sarah18791 > Reviews

Franz Ferdinand [DVD]
Franz Ferdinand [DVD]
Dvd ~ Franz Ferdinand

5.0 out of 5 stars Franz-tastic!, 16 Feb 2006
This review is from: Franz Ferdinand [DVD] (DVD)
Having been a huge fan of Franz Ferdiand for a while, I was thrilled when I heard they'd be releasing a live DVD, and this is even better than I could ever have imagined. The first disc is highlights from various gigs, and a tour documentary. The second disc is two whole gigs. Wow! Its the only DVD you'll ever need.
But why is it so great? Well, theres certainly enough content to keep you occupied, and for anyone who isn't into Franz, hopefully this will change their minds. For anyone who is a fan, this is heaven. All the classic Franz tunes, plus b-sides and a handful of the songs from the new album as well. I hadn't heard all the b-sides before, but now 'Shopping For Blood' is my favourite Franz song!! All this plus you can stare longingly at the very gorgeous Alex Kapranos for hours on end!! I agree with the other reviewer that the karaoke videos are disappointing, it would be better to actually have the proper video instead of random footage, but seeing as I don't really plan on doing any karaoke, this doesn't put me off.
I highly recommend this to anyone, Franz fan or not. This certainly shows how a music DVD should be done!!

Employment
Employment
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyday I Love This More and More!!, 5 Jan 2006
This review is from: Employment (Audio CD)
I've had this album for a while now, and yet every time I listen to it, it gives me something new. Without a doubt, this is one of the best albums of 2005. Ok, so there is a lot of hype surrounding Kaiser Chiefs, and pretty much everybody likes them, but its because they are so fantastic. Every song is a potential single on this album, and it certainly leaves us wanting more, and waiting with great anticipation for their next album. Lets just hope they can live up to the greatness of Employment.
Here’s how I rate the tracks:
1. Everyday I Love You Less And Less - 10/10
9. What Did I Ever Give You - 8/10
10.Time Honoured Tradition - 10/10
11.Caroline, Yes - 8.5/10
12.Team Mate - 7/10
So there you have it, pretty much every track on the album is perfect, and there are no excuses for not buying it NOW!!

P.U.L.S.E
P.U.L.S.E
Offered by dutchtoni

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I Was There!!!, 6 Sep 2005
This review is from: P.U.L.S.E (Audio CD)
Even after the very first time of listening to this album, it was already my joint favourite live album of all time (tied with Led Zeppelin's How the West Was Won). Pink Floyd has been one of my favourite bands for a while now, but unfortunately, as I am only 14, I never had the chance to go and see them live. I'd always heard they were fantastic live, and that as a good a studio band they were, to get the proper Floyd experience, they had to be heard live. So after their amazing and triumphant reunion at live8 (highlight of the show!), I placed p.u.l.s.e at the top of my birthday list, hoping I'd get it. Sure enough I was in luck, and ever since then I've pretty much been playing it everyday.
When I first heard about this album, I was a little unsure of whether to get it or not. This concert was after all done by a Waters-less Pink Floyd, and I thought what is Pink Floyd without the genius that is Roger Waters? But, after hearing p.u.l.s.e, no offence to the man, but you don't notice that he isn't there. Guy Pratt does an excellent job filling in, and even on songs such as Money and Comfortably Numb, where Rogers' superb bass playing and distinctive vocals respectively make the songs what they are, you don't realise that it is someone else playing or singing, which I think is a good thing.
Disc one is mainly post-Waters stuff, but with a handful of 'classic' Floyd songs scattered here and there, and all performed brilliantly, I might add! It kicks off with a spine-tingling Shine on You crazy Diamond, a tribute to ex-band mate Syd Barrett, who went insane. Dave Gilmour really does give it his all in this song, and it gives me goose bumps every time! The next song is the very early Syd-era Astronomy Domine, again performed brilliantly. The next highlight on disc one (after Shine on You crazy Diamond) is Hey You, from their classic album The Wall. It starts off with that amazingly eerie guitar intro and then towards the end, spectacularly builds up into one of my favourite Floyd solos!! We end the first disc with Another Brick In The Wall; a song often associated with Waters, but carried off superbly.
Disc two is a real treat, Dark Side Of The Moon in its entirety, LIVE!! Dark Side of the Moon, is of course Floyd's most famous album, and as spectacular an album it is, nothing can prepare you for how incredibly awesome it all sounds live. Time, with its famous alarm clock introduction, sounds like you've never heard it before, and Breathe, On The Run, The Great Gig In The Sky, Money, Us And Them, Any Colour You Like, Brain Damage and Eclipse also sound just as excellent as you'd expect them to be. And then, just as you think its all over, the Floyd return for an encore consisting of three more songs! The first encore is Wish You Were Here, not only my favourite Floyd song, but my favourite song of all time! It starts with that simple and beautiful guitar intro, and then Dave comes in and sings with all his heart. The crowd certainly give him a helping hand, sometimes even drowning him out!! Then comes that sweeping Comfortably Numb intro, and at this point I was thinking, can anyone sing it like Roger can?! The answer is, yes, and it sounds just as good as when Roger sang it, with the ever impressive solo by David Gilmour making it even better!! The final song is another track from The Wall, Run Like Hell. Sang extremely well by David, this is a great way to end the album, even though you don't want it to end!!
No Pink Floyd fan should be without this album, and anyone who isn't sure of what all the fuss is about should definitely check this out, nothing beats the sound of the Floyd live!!

This Is Spinal Tap [DVD] [1984] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
This Is Spinal Tap [DVD] [1984] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Rob Reiner
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Hilarious!!, 23 Jan 2005
Well, what can I say! This has got to be the funniest film I have ever seen and their are just soo many classic moments and quotes that it is impossible to list them all here.
The 'Stonehenge' scene alone makes it my favourite comedy EVER, but that is not all it has to offer. Who could forget the famous amp scene (these go to eleven) or the pod prop diaster!

And this DVD has so much to offer as well, the deleted scenes is basically another film as well (I think there is an extra hour and a bit!)It's hard to beleive they left so much out. The best 'outtakes' have got to be the album signing scene and the zoo scene! There is also trailers, music videos, promotional stuff and loads more.
So if you fancy a film that never gets boring, never loses its comedy then watch this.

So to finish this review on the greatest film EVER, on a scale of 1 to 10, I give it.... 11!!

The Dark Side Of The Moon
The Dark Side Of The Moon
Offered by playanywhere

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant!!, 21 Dec 2004
This review is from: The Dark Side Of The Moon (Vinyl)
I'm going to keep this review short and sweet, but I will say that you MUST buy this. Buy the CD as well, but if you want to hear Floyd sound like they've never sounded before, buy this, the original Vinyl version. It is quite simply The GREATEST album of all time, it is timeless, an instant classic. Each song flows beautifully into the next, making it seem like one incredible track. I urge anyone who has not listened to this, to do so now, you will NOT regret it!!

Dark Side of the Moon
Dark Side of the Moon

5.0 out of 5 stars An Incredible Album!!, 5 Dec 2004
This review is from: Dark Side of the Moon (Audio CD)
When I first heard this album, I literally stopped in my tracks, it's incredible. Each song flows beautifully into the next, and once you have listened to it, you are safe in the knowledge that you have heard a small piece of music history!
It was recently said that 3/4 of the UK's population own a copy of this album, and that is not surprising. Some say that it is not at all ground-breaking, that it is overrated, but I strongly disagree. Honestly, how many bands could make a brilliant track out of alarm clocks going off!
It is hard to pick a favourite track on this album (unlike The Wall, where Another Brick In The Wall wins every time!)but for me, my two favourite tracks have to be the awesome The Great Gig In The Sky and the brilliant Money. The latter being one of my favourite Floyd songs of all time, and the first just displaying some INCREDIBLE vocal talent.
Some say it does not compare to The Wall, but come on, that has 16 more tracks, and although The Wall does have Comfortably Numb, probably one of the greatest songs ever written, in some ways DSOTM is superior, becuase it is extremely easy to listen to and timeless. This album will be treasured for generations to come. The kids of today will most probably end up listening to this album at some point in their lives. I never thought i'd listen to this album, purely because I had heard so many bad things about it, but ignore that, because it's a load of rubbish, this is probably one of the most influential albums ever!!
So, if you already own this album, go listen to it now, and tell every single person you know to buy it straight away, and if you don't own it, what are you waiting for, get it NOW, And i'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon!!

Dirty Dancing (The Collector's Edition)
Dirty Dancing (The Collector's Edition)
Offered by thebookcommunity

5.0 out of 5 stars great songs for a great film, 2 Sep 2003
Before i had seen the film, i listened to the soundtrack and i wasn't that keen. But after seeing the film then listening to the songs i loved both!!
This album has all the well known tracks from the film plus ones you don't know cos they are only played for a few seconds.
You don't even have to like the film to enjoy the c.d cos every song is a classic in its own way.
There are ballads like "she's like the wind, hungry eyes, in the still of the night, time of my life" and many more.
There are also ones that will get you dancing like "stay, hey baby, love man, yes" and more.
So whatever music you enjoy, this is the soundtrack for you.

The Haunting [1999]
The Haunting [1999]
Dvd ~ Liam Neeson

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing special effects but not that scary, 16 April 2003
This review is from: The Haunting [1999] (VHS Tape)
When i first heard of this film, i thought it would be really scary because of the title, but when i watched it, i found out it was quite tame. But don't let this put you off, because it is well worth watching.
The story goes, that four ordinary people go to stay in a Huge, old house expecting to be test subjects for a professer and receive free psychiatric treatment. But they are unaware of the dark secrets hidden inside the mansion. For a very long time ago, someone called Ukraine kidnapped some children and kept them trapped, waiting for someone to rescue them.
The special effects in this film are incredible, however, the downside to this film is that most of the excitement happens in the last half hour.
But there is a lot of suspense, so it should keep you on the edge of your seat. And you'll remember it for a long time after. If you like or don't like horror films there is something for everyone in this film.

Austin Powers in Goldmember [VHS] [2002]
Austin Powers in Goldmember [VHS] [2002]
VHS
Offered by pkeylock

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious frm start to finish!!!!!!, 29 Mar 2003
I first saw this film at the cinema with my brother, And even then I thought it was the funniest film i had ever seen. I was laughing the whole way through.
The story goes that Austin powers father (Michael Caine) has been kidnapped by goldmember who joins forces with doctor evil ( both Mike Myers,) so austin, (also Mike Myers) teams up with Foxxy Cleopatra (beyonce knowles) to rescue him. This film features some of the same jokes as the last two films but it all adds to the humour. This film also features cameo performances from Tom Cruise, Gyneth Platrow, Kevin Spacey, Danny Devito, Britney Spears and the Osbournes. This Film is certainly not to be missed.

Spyro 2: Season of Flame (GBA)
Spyro 2: Season of Flame (GBA)
Offered by John Seth Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars spyro returns with a much better adventure than the first, 29 Mar 2003
After playing seasons of Ice, I didn't think they could do any better, but they have. The graphics are much better, theres more characters and the levels are much much better. I thought seasons of Ice was very difficult and I still haven't completed it, even though i got it last year. Seasons of Flame is so much easier and probably more suitable for younger children. The story goes that all of the dragons in the dragon realms have had their flame breath frozen so they can only breathe Ice. So Spyro has to find all the fireflies so they can breathe fire yet again. When it comes to choosing between the two, I would definitely go for seasons of flame. Its more entertaining and once you have completed it once you can start all over again!!!!

Page: 1 | 2