Profile for BlueCat > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Travel Auction
The Travel Auction

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining travel tale, marred by silly typos, 1 Jan. 2015
Enjoyed this book very much. The premise - a man finding a replacement traveller with the same name as his girlfriend - is a bit unlikely, but I actually really enjoyed getting to know JC and Angel and liked seeing the development in JC as he began to understand more about what Iife is like for a blind person. The descriptions of their travels were entertaining and I've decided I want to spend three months travelling round South America now!

I thought the ending was a bit odd and abrupt - I was left wondering what would happen once they returned to England - and there were some things that bugged me throughout, which is why the book only gets 3 stars despite being entertaining. There are several occurrences where people "wander what to do" or "wonder around the place" and I had to chuckle at the decision to "air on the side of caution" .... The proofreader in me was grinding her teeth at that one! Shame to see so many typos, especially in a Kindle book that can be easily updated. And while I could understand the need for JC to travel with someone who could administration the epipen if he had an allergic reaction, I was a bit confused about the idea of Angel tasting his food for him - would anyone really be able to detect nuts in any dish?

Overall it was a quick entertaining read and would score more highly with a proper proofread.

Scragg Finds a Home
Scragg Finds a Home
by Patricia Horsley

5.0 out of 5 stars Scragg found a home in my heart!, 15 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Scragg Finds a Home (Paperback)
This is a lovely story about a young boy who befriends a stray dog. The story is told with humour, and the illustrations go really well too. A lovely read for any child who has ever dreamt about owning a dog!

The Good Guy's Guide To Getting The Girl
The Good Guy's Guide To Getting The Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars Chick lit? Bloke lit? Whatever, this is very VERY good, 23 Sept. 2014
OK so I am a woman, and I do like the odd bit of chick lit, but I also like bloke lit, or whatever you'd call the style of writing of Mike Gayle and Nick Hornby. And this, the first novel by Peter Jones, hits the spot most excellently. It tells the story of Jason Smith, an average guy in the 90s who has just broken up with Liz, a most unsuitable girlfriend. Despite the company of his best friend Alex and his Kylie Minogue calendar, Jason is lonely on his own. For all his adult life he has lusted after Melanie, a girl he fancied at school, and he wonders where the Melanies of the world are hiding. After experimenting with night school and dance classes as a way to meet women, he hits on the perfect idea ..... or is it? And was the woman of his dreams right under his nose all the time?

Brilliantly written novel that made me smirk, smile, laugh out loud, and even shed a tear now and then. Buy it now - you won't be disappointed! And I can't wait to read the promised sequel :)

Applause (The Dudley Sisters Quartet Book 2)
Applause (The Dudley Sisters Quartet Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as Foxden Acres!, 25 April 2014
I loved Foxden Acres, the first of the Dudley Sisters novels, and this one is every bit as good. Set in London's Theatreland during the Second World War, Applause follows the life of Margaret, a girl from the country who is desperate to be an actress. Can't say much without giving away the story, but this perfectly captures the excitement of the theatre and the danger of London during the Blitz, and it's lovely how it links in with the first book and Bess, who is manning the fort back at home. Beautifully written with flawed, human, lovable characters .. definitely deserves a round of applause!!

My Healing Journey: From Healing to Horses to Wholeness: A Story of Self Discovery
by Charlie Holles

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book that inspires you to explore your inner world, 30 Mar. 2014
This is a beautifully written, evocative tale of how one man travelled the world to discover his own inner truth. Charlie Holles starts his journey in India where he goes in the hippy trail in search of a guru. I felt like I was there with him on his journey, as his description of the sights and sounds is starkly told but strikingly visual. From India he travels to Scotland, Tibet, Spain, Bristol in search of something meaningful in his life, until eventually he discovers his true purpose.

This book works well on so many levels - as a travelogue, a memoir, and an uplifting spiritual guide. Whichever aspect appeals to you, I'd recommend you read this and enjoy the journey.

Where Shall We Walk Today?: Walking The Pennine Way
Where Shall We Walk Today?: Walking The Pennine Way

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable book that inspires me to want to walk the Pennine Way!, 25 Mar. 2014
I really enjoyed learning a little about author Dave Marriott's background and found this tale of the huge challenge he and his wife took on - to walk all 267 miles of the Pennine Way - funny, inspiring and heart-warming. As well as describing the landscape they pass through, he also talks about the people and places they encounter along the way. The style is chatty and a bit "blokey" - there's the odd swear word here and there, be warned if you are easily offended - but I found it very entertaining. In fact, I'll admit it, I am one of those non-walkers who he has the occasional rant about .... but reading his descriptions of the beauty and wilderness of the Pennine Way, I almost feel inspired to take the challenge on myself!

How to Earn £25,000 or More as a Self Employed Gardener
How to Earn £25,000 or More as a Self Employed Gardener

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative little book that tells you everything you need to know, 20 Mar. 2014
This is a lovely book for anyone who loves gardening and is thinking about turning it into a business. it's full of useful tips and advice, along with some comical stories from the author's own experience of working as a gardener. Don't be deceived by the small size - this is packed with information and is easy and enjoyable to read too!

adidas Climacool Training Core 3S Women's Tight 3/4-Length Trousers - XL, Black
adidas Climacool Training Core 3S Women's Tight 3/4-Length Trousers - XL, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fit, comfortable, keep you cool, 6 Feb. 2014
I've just joined a gym and needed some suitable clothes to wear. Bought these and they arrived the next day in time for my first proper session. They are a good fit, very comfortable and quite supportive too. There is a kind of mesh bit round the back of the waistband which meant I didn't get sweaty and the legs are not too tight, just right.

My only comment would be that I wasn't sure what size to order, so knowing that fitness clothing tends to only cater for smaller sizes I went for the XL. On the label it says they are size 20-22 - I'm an 18-20 so they fit okay fortunately.

Kipling  GABBIE Shoulder Bag Womens  Grey (Celo Grey) Size: 36x30x19 cm (B x H x T)
Kipling GABBIE Shoulder Bag Womens Grey (Celo Grey) Size: 36x30x19 cm (B x H x T)

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a Kipling convert!, 17 Dec. 2013
This is my first Kipling bag and I love it! The size is perfect - small enough to use if I just want to take a purse, umbrella and keys but big enough to cram lots more into without becoming too heavy. The front zip pocket is the perfect size for my ipad and the end pockets are great for bits and bobs. I wasn't sure about the material but it proved worthwhile when my partner accidentally spilt coffee all over it .. The contents stayed dry and I could wipe it clean! The inside seems a bit noisy - rustly - but that seems to be decreasing with use. My first but probably not my last Kipling bag!

GreatShield Luxury Microfiber Cleaning Cloth Retail - Brown (Pack of 10)
GreatShield Luxury Microfiber Cleaning Cloth Retail - Brown (Pack of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 17 Dec. 2013
Bought to keep my ipad screen clean but I also use these for my phone, camera, glasses .... Quite small cloths but big enough for the job, seem to be good quality and ten at a really good price - what more can you want!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7