Profile for M. Boon > Reviews

Content by M. Boon

M. Boon "versionone2k3" (Wales, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Battle Royale Volume 10: v. 10
Battle Royale Volume 10: v. 10
by Masayuki Taguchi

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in the Series (SPOILERS), 16 May 2008
Following the notorious Lighthouse massacre Shuuya's (one thing I have always wondered is why is it spelt Shuuya in the Manga?) faith is pushed to breaking point as he has to face a terrified Yuko Sasaki and later the insane Mizuho Inada as well as the realisation that he may not be able to save everyone if anyone at all.

In this volume the creators of this Manga made the brilliant move of including a side story that runs along side the events of the here and now showing things from Yuko's parents point of view as they hope that their daughter "wins" The Program but they themselfs know deep down inside that their is no actual winner in The Program and they also realise that the chances of Yuko's survivial are pretty much zero but all they can do is have faith in their Daughter's return and faith that she does right.

Also included in this story is Yuko's troubled history and the revelation that She was traumatised after witnessing a violent fight in School is very effective and adds to the heart breaking tragedy.

Showing Yuko's parents was a brillaint move because it hammers home the point that not only are these childrens lives being destroyed but also the lives of those closest to them and no matter what these childrens actions are in The Program none of them deserved the terrible fate that almost all of them suffered.

Simply put The Program brought out the worst in almost all of them.

Later in the volume Shuuya comes face to face with the insane beyond reasoning Mizuho Inada and though not as strong as the early chapters Shuuya's near breakdown upon realising that saving anyone is an almost impossible task perfectly illustares the near hoplesness of the situation he has found himself in.

Also worth mentioning is Shuuya's "reunion" with Shinji Mimura that shows just how importent Shinji was to Shuuya "I needed him to be okay" is one of the most emotional things said in the entire series.

The final chapters concerning Shuuya's reunion with Noriko Nakagawa and Shogo Kawada along with Mizuho Inada's fate and not as strong as the early chapters (the parts concerning Inada are littered with the annoying fan service that the series is notorious for) but are still very good.

In short V.10 is an emotional ride and the high point of the entire series.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2011 11:45 PM BST

SmackDown Vs Raw 2008 (PS3)
SmackDown Vs Raw 2008 (PS3)
Offered by zoverstocks

2.0 out of 5 stars Bug Ridden Mess, 12 Nov. 2007
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
The 24/7 mode of the game is a complete mess and full of bugs.

For example twice I was given the option of jumping from Raw to Smackdown and I accepted both times only for the game to continue as if I chose to stay on Raw and this doesn't just happen with that but almost every choice I have made (such as refusing to trade opponents) has made no difference to how things play out and the game ignores My choices completly.

Also many times I have been announced as the Champion even though I don't hold a Title and there are many more mistakes like that that make 24/7 mode look like an amature mess.

Also the storylines are complete crap mostly.

On the plus side the Tournament and Hall of Fame modes are a lot of fun and the controls are a big step foward (hence the 3*** for fun) but honestly the bug ridden 24/7 mode ruins this game completly.

Also why are the Divas even in this game? they are totally worthless outside of exibition (and even then they are excluded from a large number of match types) and their spot on the selectable roster would be much better spent on wrestlers You can actually control in the main game modes.

This is the last Smackdown I will buy until Yukes gets their act together because they are just being lazy as far as I am concerned knowing full well that people will line up and buy any old rubbish they stick the WWE logo on.

Doa: Dead Or Alive [DVD]
Doa: Dead Or Alive [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jaime Pressly

3.0 out of 5 stars Harmless Popcorn Fun., 17 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Doa: Dead Or Alive [DVD] (DVD)
Okay DOA is no masterpiece of Cinema but as far as brainless action flicks go DOA does it's job well and is an entertaining 90 minutes of brainless action and humor.

Bottom line is if you are able to sit back and enjoy a movie that is not meant to be taken seriously then you could do far worse then DOA.

Rating: 3.5/5

Slap That Naughty Body/My Fate
Slap That Naughty Body/My Fate

3.0 out of 5 stars A step backwards., 22 April 2006
Don't get me wrong I actually like this CD but it feels like a big step in reverse after Change Your Life and is no where near as good as anything on Taste My Beat.

1. Slap That Naughty Body 3/5

2. My Fate 5/5

3. Blue Moon 2/5

Okay but not Anna's best.

Note: If You like Anna Tsuchiya's music then check out the band She used to be in called Spin Aqua, their only album is called Pisces which is awesome and much better then Her solo stuff.

Ab-Normal Beauty [DVD] [2004]
Ab-Normal Beauty [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Ekin Cheng
Offered by Springwood Media

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor movie., 26 Mar. 2006
After seeing the first rate trailer for this movie I ordered it on import from Hong Kong and was utterly furious at just how bad this movie was.

It started well (hence 2 stars instead of 1) and seemed to be building up to a great climax but fell apart as soon as it tried to be a who done it thriller and a very poor one at that.

Taste My Beat
Taste My Beat
Offered by Japan-Select

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff., 21 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Taste My Beat (Audio CD)
Probably better known for her role in recent Japanese movie Kamikze Girls Anna Tsuchiya's mini album Taste My Beat is a really good collection of cathcy songs.
Track listing with rating.
1. Ah Ah 5/5
2. Taste My Skind 4/5
3. In My Hands 4/5
4. Frozen Rose 5/5
5. My Lullaby 4/5
6. Somebody Help 5/5
Really worth getting hold of if you can find it.

Naked Weapon (2-Disc Platinum Edition) [2002] [DVD]
Naked Weapon (2-Disc Platinum Edition) [2002] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maggie Q
Offered by Disc-uk

1.0 out of 5 stars So bad I had to stop watching., 16 Sept. 2005
I'll keep this as short as possible Naked Weapon is amongst the worst movies I have ever seen.
Horrible plot: Check.
Horrible Acting: Check.
Total lack of originality: Check.
Seriously the fact that this movie has been compared to the classic Battle Royale makes me want to vomit and I stopped watching two thirds in.

Salem's Lot [DVD]
Salem's Lot [DVD]
Dvd ~ Samantha Mathis
Offered by wantitcheaper

4.0 out of 5 stars Better then expected., 8 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Salem's Lot [DVD] (DVD)
I must say after all the negative comments I have read about Salem's Lot the new TV Mini (majority of which were by fans of the original superise, suprise) I was suprised when I finally watched it today and really enjoyed it.
Solid plot, pace (especially for near 3 hours) and an obvious higher then usual budget for a TV mini make this well worth watching and my only complaint is that I would have personally ended it a little different but over all I found it very enjoyable.

1997-2004 [CD + DVD]
1997-2004 [CD + DVD]
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 25 July 2005
This review is from: 1997-2004 [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
1997 - 2004 is the 2nd best of album from The Mad Capsule Markets (as of right now sadley their first best of 1990 -1996 hasn't been released outside of Japan) and is a superb collection of some of th Capsules finest songs. Making this an even greater purchase is the bonus DVD that includes a load of their music videos.

Cursed [DVD]
Cursed [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hiroko Sato
Offered by Todays Great Deal

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible., 13 May 2005
This review is from: Cursed [DVD] (DVD)
Being a fan of Asian cinema I was looking forward to this movie but was let down by what is nothing more then a terrible attempt at being a horror movie which isn't scary in the slightest or even entertaining and the plot makes little if any sence and is just a rushed mess.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3