Profile for Shagbuniz > Reviews

Content by Shagbuniz

Shagbuniz "Shagbuniz" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
On Basilisk Station (Honorverse)
On Basilisk Station (Honorverse)
by David Weber

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL, 23 May 2011
I should have seen the writing on the wall when the main character has a psychic cat living on her shoulders. This book was so boring, I dragged my way to page fifty then made myself read on until one hundred. I gladly put the book down then.
I know I know people are going to say it is part of a number of books, but I have done that, done Hammer series, Andy Remic, Clone Empire, Conn Iggulden, Legion of the Damned and 10 volumes of L Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth so I know how a series should run; this was awful. Too many cliches, no action and a psychic tree cat that will rip the throat out of anyone who looks the wrong way at Honor Harrington.
I buy all my books online (from charity where I can) and give them to the local charity when I have finished but this one is going in the bin!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2013 11:44 AM BST

The Last Colony
The Last Colony

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Trilogy, 7 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Last Colony (Paperback)
This book is fantastic, it introduces new ideas and a whole new universe a dynamic and entertaining way. You never get the feeling that things are too mad though. I read the first two in this series and having just plodded my way through Legion 6 (William C Dietz) in three weeks, I flew through The Last Colony in four days! The series hasn't lost any of the sparkle of the first book and I would highly recommend them. Zoe's Tale and Sagan's Diaries here I come!

Old Man's War
Old Man's War

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Trilogy, 7 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Old Man's War (Paperback)

Rogue Element
Rogue Element
by Terence Strong

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't think so!, 1 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Rogue Element (Paperback)
Read the write up for this book.... The second character is a "crusading defence lawyer"!! We see crusading defence lawyers on TV telling us that where there's blame there's a claim so I don't need one in a book I'm reading. I got 50 pages into this and gave it straight to the charity shop. What a load of to$$.

Mele Black 10 Watch Display Box Case New Bonded Leather
Mele Black 10 Watch Display Box Case New Bonded Leather
Offered by Gifts in Time Ltd.

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL!, 30 Nov. 2010
Do not buy this product. It looks nice enough but not one of my watches sat comfortably on the pads inside. Furthermore when I put the pad and watch into the box the lid did not close! There is just no "head room" for the watches. No thought has been given to the design of this product. My watches vary from G Shock to chronograph metal bracelet to leather strap and none sit properly and the lid will not close on any of them.
Unfortunately my wife used the box it came in to post something to a friend otherwise I would return it to the company. I have had to take all the pads out and squeeze the watches in on their sides to be able to use this.
Don't waste your money... Debenhams do a nice one with a drawer for cufflinks and collar stiffeners!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2013 1:59 PM GMT

The Ghost Brigades
The Ghost Brigades

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Ghost Brigades (Paperback)
I read this book a little while after Old Man's War and it is fantastic. It is so engrossing that when I looked up from reading it this morning... I'd passed my station and had to get a train back out of London to work.
Scalzi takes the template of the universe he created in the first book, some characters and develops a story that is fresh, new and involving. If you like SciFi then get this book.

Making A Killing: The Explosive Story of a Hired Gun in Iraq
Making A Killing: The Explosive Story of a Hired Gun in Iraq
by James Ashcroft

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Aug. 2010
Fantastic read. It immerses you into life in Iraq in 2003 through the author's eyes. He displays an informed knowledge of events leading up to and immediately following the invasion. The accounts of fire fights are the best I have read of the many similar books that are out there. I actually laughed out loud at three or four parts.... much to the displeasure of all the other commuters on the train to Waterloo!

The Boys from Baghdad: From the Foreign Legion to the Killing Fields of Iraq
The Boys from Baghdad: From the Foreign Legion to the Killing Fields of Iraq
by Simon Low

2.0 out of 5 stars Undecided, 17 Aug. 2010
I was a little disappointed with this book for a couple of reasons. Firstly the author makes reference to constant "contacts" with insurgents, however there seems to be only four or five detailed accounts. This is a book about Iraq. I did not appreciate and indeed skipped through long sections of the experiences of joining the Legion and the scallywags he joined up with. Furthermore halfway through recounting one historical story he then opens up a third story and delves into the details of that.
I want a book about the author's experiences in Iraq and read James Ashcroft's "Making a Killing" some time after this book. I would have to recommend that book far more than this one.

The Clone Republic
The Clone Republic
by Steve L Kent

5.0 out of 5 stars Clones Rock., 16 Feb. 2010
Having read all four of the Clone series I just flicked through the reviews in Amazon and found one on here that slates the book.

So I looked at the authors the reviewer recommends. Linnea Sinclair books have covers where the central theme seems to be more Mills and Boon than SciFi. Mike Shepherd covers seems to be promoting female spacers and I am yet to try Ian Douglas.

The whole Clone series rocks and Wayson Harris isn't so much plastic as alone. I will say no more. The books are engaging and whilst they do follow a pattern I cannot recommend them highly enough if you wish to be entertained.

The Battle at the Moons of Hell (Helfort's War)
The Battle at the Moons of Hell (Helfort's War)
by Graham Sharp Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite, 4 Jan. 2010
I wouldn't ever say that the action came thick and fast in this book (as per another review) as the battle doesn't actually start until page 277 of 372. The book lacked action for the first two thirds and was in all honesty hard work getting there.
At page 278 I was going to give it one star but the run home was worth it and left you with a contented feeling. Stirring patriotic stuff, if we were Feds, but I dont think I'll be going for the second book in a hurry.
The Jason Wander series were better than this.

Page: 1 | 2