Profile for Roland Herrera, Bristol UK > Reviews

Content by Roland Herrera...

Roland Herrera, Bristol UK (Bristol, Avon United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Hans Sitt: Concertino In A Minor For Violin And Piano Op.70. Sheet Music for Violin, Piano Accompaniment

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get better than this, 9 July 2014
One of the most beautiful Concertinos in the series. Hans Sitt is a genius! It's in first to fifth position only, but not an easy one to play... maybe grade 7. Sitt wrote very well for the violin. Bosworth do very well; I'd like more by Sitt!

Violin Concertos for Children Vol. 3
Violin Concertos for Children Vol. 3
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars I warmly recommend this, 9 July 2014
Excellent playing. Great examples for Violin students. However, that being said there are some (minor snags) this volume repeats Bacewicz, Seitz and Huber Concertos that we heard in volume 1. Also in the Komarowski Concerto n2 in A, 3rd Movement, the Pianist plays C natural instead of C sharp in bars 4 and 5. No big deal, but I spot wrong notes, as I am a Violin Teacher. But every major aspect of this CD is a great success; the playing is top. The Sitt Concerto is a masterpiece, as are all the compositions. Now if we could only find the Concertino by Krejci in print somewhere! If you are interested in my Concertino page, look up Westbury Park Strings for more information. Thanks for reading.

F. Wohlfahrt Sixty Studies for Violin
F. Wohlfahrt Sixty Studies for Violin

1.0 out of 5 stars incorrect information supplied by amazon, 7 Jun. 2014
number of discs : 18
please be more careful Amazon!

No fault of the recording artist; this is a fair product of studies 1-30
31-60 are missing though

Franz Wohlfahrt: Sixty Studies for the Violin Opus 45
Franz Wohlfahrt: Sixty Studies for the Violin Opus 45

1.0 out of 5 stars tracks 15-18 are defective, 7 Jun. 2014
The concept is very good. The playing is fine... or even excellent. The tone is clear and even.
I would even go so far as to congratulate the artist.

My issue is with tracks 15-18 which sound a 5th lower and play at half speed.
I have written to CDBaby about this... but they did not acknowledge the problem.
Part 2 has no such problem. Part 3 does not seem available. Shame.
These companies should take more care and not sell incomplete and defective products.

Franz Schubert: Piano Works 1822-1828
Franz Schubert: Piano Works 1822-1828

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Schubert I have ever heard, 18 Dec. 2013
Brendel gives the most satisfying recordings of Schubert I have ever heard. His sound is warm, mics. are placed closely, and the piano sound is full of body. Brendel colours his Schubert in the warmest and most colourful of ways, and I cannot express his playing in any other way, except to say that he is one of the most 'human' pianists, and his playing speaks to me note by note. Highly recommended.

Westhoff: Six Suites for Solo Violin
Westhoff: Six Suites for Solo Violin
by Westhoff
Edition: Sheet music

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous under-valued compostitions, 18 Dec. 2013
These are deftly written for Solo violin. A great deal of Violinistic experience has helped Westhoff (a star Violinist in his day) write mostly in double stops in the most pleasing manner, at least sonorously. This music influenced the solo works of JS Bach, but we are constantly reminded they do not measure up to Bach's standards, compositionally. Well, in my opinion, no matter. They are very valuable none-the-less, and though I do not agree with some of the editing in this Amadeus Edition (no matter, for new bowings, fingerings and chord direction can always be pencilled-in) it is a wonderfully clear and simple presentation of these neglected masterpieces. They are harder than Telemann's solo Fantasias, but slightly easier than most Solo Bach. Beware almost everything is presented in double-stop texture. I recommend this music to post Grade 8 students who have mastered at least the Rode etudes.

Bach - Brandenburg Concertos / Triple Concertos
Bach - Brandenburg Concertos / Triple Concertos
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent one of the best modern instrument recordings of this, 18 Dec. 2013
Starting from the Bach Munich Orchestra and their recording made around 1967 I think, and the Stuttgart Kammerorchester, rec. just before the year 2000, this recording directed by Peter Schreier more or less continues where those two left off. Even quaver or semi-quaver passages that were on the string with the Bach Munich Orch, are now very much off the string. This is a good technique to lighten the texture and thickness of the strings, perhaps giving a lighter overall result with with added clarity. My preference is for Richter's Muchich Orch. but this set is recorded Digitally by Philips (published in 1992) and is stellar in transparency (especially compared to recordings in the 60s). What I can say is that the three sets mentioned here, and with the addition of I Musici, Karajan, and the Collegium Aureum (probably the only original instrument version I like) I have covered most of the important Modern Instrument recordings of these works, and I would gladly listen to any of them. I warmly recommend this set; not sure why the order of Concerti has changed, but it's a minor observation. Solid and fresh, refined recording.

The Complete Works of J.S.Bach (Special Edition)
The Complete Works of J.S.Bach (Special Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you ever want to hear sunshine!, 10 Dec. 2013
The Bachakademie-Edition, Stuttgart together with Hanssler published this set of complete recordings of JS Bach in the year 2000 (250 years after his life). I had purchased some individual CDs from the set several years ago, (the individual CDs were £16 or around full price) but when this offer came out to purchase the whole set at less than £1 per CD I snatched it! Well, it arrived today, and I can't stop listening! The Cantatas are stellar! I have all Glenn Gould's recordings, Helmut Walcha's, and Karl Richter's 75 Cantatas and several other hundred CDs and recordings of Bach. I have some amazing Bach recordings, but there are none that top these! These are glorious modern instrument performances, thank goodness. I would say they are exactly in the style of Karl Richter and the Bach Munich Orchestra. However, technically they continue where Karl Richter left off. The recordings are digital and better quality, because they are more recent. The playing is perhaps slightly lighter.. the orchestral accompaniments to the cantatas are magnificent... staccato is sprightly played, trumpets soar with clarity and purity, and the singing is unquestionably World Class. Energy and joy radiate from these performances. In short, I don't see how any Bach followers can afford not to have Helmut Rilling's outstanding set. Obviously, I'd say if you are into Historic Instrument Performances, avoid it. However, the tide is turning; finally we can hear Bach played with the full benefit of modern day technology (both in the playing and recording) in all its glory. I have a strong feeling that this fulfilling investment will go down as one of the best purchases of my life.. I'll certainly be listening to it for the rest of my life. Long live JS Bach! I cannot recommend this set strongly enough! Get it and forget everything else!

Bach : Musikalisches Opfer, Bwv1079 - Remastered
Bach : Musikalisches Opfer, Bwv1079 - Remastered

5.0 out of 5 stars I have heard this on tape, 28 Nov. 2013
An excellent recording. I listened to it many years ago, as it was published by RCA and distributed in Italy on a budget label called 'Linea Tre'. I am delighted it has come out on CD, and have just placed my order for the CD on Amazon. I will update this review when it arrives, but if my memory serves me well, I'm in for a treat. This is a Modern instrument performance. I gather Kurt Redel (RIP he passed away earlier this year in Jan 2013) orchestrated this version of the Musical Offering. In eager anticipation of the CDs arrival.

Vol. 1 Bach: English Suites
Vol. 1 Bach: English Suites

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best New Bach, 24 Nov. 2013
This CD seems listed twice here on Amazon UK. I have written my review on the other listing, but briefly here is my impression: This is the most exciting recording of the English Suites since I first heard those of Gould when I was 10 years old. Of course, I am not forgetting the wonderful Perahia, but Stadtfeld's Bach is very new. The rhythmic tightness is impressive, vibrant. His touch is certainly cantabile, and his Bach playing speaks volumes unfolding Bach's intricate writing in an effortless way. I do hope in time to hear many many more recordings by this extraordinary German Pianist. I feel Bach himself would be applauding loudly at this stage!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2014 1:08 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15